Monogram Helldiver

Hey all.

I have this boxing of the Helldiver and I had a question about it. Is the Revell boxing the same kit? There's a lot of aftermarket for the Revell kit and I wanted to see if it wold work on the Monogram one.

Kit.jpg

I believe that is the old, original Monogram kit from the '60s with the toy-like features such as a dropping bomb, movable landing gear, et al.  Not to be confused with the beautiful Monogram Pro-Modeler/Revell kit from the early 2000s, for which the abundant aftermarket items were created.  Others may know more.

Jeff 

2 hours ago, DonSS3 said:

The Accurate Miniatures kit is very much state of the art.

Don,

I have a few Accurate Miniature kits in my stash, and all are excellent kits, but not for the faint of heart. Their SBD Dauntless series uses a complex PE set of parts for the dive brakes and I've never gotten the nerve to build my kit yet, so the old Hasegawa kit is still alone in the display.  I'm going to be building their Vindicator SB2U-3 this year OOB, and I'm really looking forward to it.

My 1/48 scale USN WWII SBD collection has a SBD-3 Dauntless, a TBD-1 Devastator, & a TBF-3 Avenger with several more versions to go when I get in the mood to add another aircraft to that collection. 

Joel

Edited by Joel_W
5 hours ago, Joel_W said:

Their SBD Dauntless series uses a complex PE set of parts for the dive brakes...

Wait...what?

As probably mentioned earlier the AM Helldiver release was molded by Monogram for their Pro Modeler line and is very much state of the art. That kit has PE dive flaps but are designed to be fitted closed so there's little difficulty in building.

Ken

29 minutes ago, WymanV said:

Wait...what?

As probably mentioned earlier the AM Helldiver release was molded by Monogram for their Pro Modeler line and is very much state of the art. That kit has PE dive flaps but are designed to be fitted closed so there's little difficulty in building.

Ken

Ken,

I'm partial to having them open on all my dive bombers. The AM kit uses PE hinges that really look like a "tough nut to crack" as I'm not the greatest with PE other then bits and pieces cut off a sheet and glued directly to a piece of plastic.  but I'm going to have to give it a try and see what happens. I guess  the worst case scenario is that I end up closing the flaps. 

Joel

You will have your hands full if you plan to fit Helldiver flaps open. The interior structure is molded solid and closed so you'll have to hack it all out and replace with aftermarket, if there's anything available. Or scratchbuild, which would be a different kind of handful.

The Accurate Miniatures SBDs have styrene flaps & actuators-which is what caught my attention :bobby:

Ken

9 hours ago, WymanV said:

You will have your hands full if you plan to fit Helldiver flaps open. The interior structure is molded solid and closed so you'll have to hack it all out and replace with aftermarket, if there's anything available. Or scratchbuild, which would be a different kind of handful.

The Accurate Miniatures SBDs have styrene flaps & actuators-which is what caught my attention :bobby:

Ken

Ken,

I'm not doubting you as an old man's memory isn't the most reliable thing in the world.  As for the Helldiver, if the dive flaps are molded close, then I'll most likely leave that that way. 

Joel