SCRATCHBUILT DEWOITINE D510 in 1:48 scale

Hi guys

Dewoitine-_D510-_S.jpg

I am taking a small break from continuing with my B17G so that I can have a go at this wonderful "Retro" bird from the 30s...the Dewoitine D510

This time I decided to get my self out of my comfort zone of building larger scale Aircraft to try and see if I can manage scratch building a 1:48 scale model......well I have started and I have to say that its a different ball game altogether!....so tiny!!!:o..very small parts will have to be fabricated on the way no doubt.....but for me it will be a challenge which is why I mostly scratch build aircraft!.....and then I will get back to the B17G beast!!;)

Gd510-2.jpg

I just love the shape of this bird!...kind of heavy chunky nose and large wing span...with an almost after thought of an undercarriage!....all this drew my attention and made me want to have a crack at it!

So here goes then...................

After not being very successful in finding any decent scale plans on the "ole" internet I came across a set that at least had a few formers to work with...although none for the wings!:o.....well I guess I will have to sort something out when the time comes to making the wings!

Here's the plans I am going to use pinned to the board......

m_004.jpg

So first up was to construct the fuselage....because the plans are not that good I kind of made it up as I went along!....For this fuselage I used thin gauge hardwood for the formers,stringers and longeron. When that was set I filled in between the stringers with scrap balsa wood and when dry I sanded the balsa wood down to the hardwood stringers that then gave me the basic shape of the front end including the massive Radiator that just seems to be slung under the front nose!

Like so....

re_005.jpg

I then repeated the procedure for the tail......in this photo you can see the way I glue pieces of off cut balsa in between the stringers....looks a mess but I find it does the trick!

re_002.jpg

image.jpg

You can also see that there is a large gap half way up the fuselage?....well that is where the cockpit is and the reason there is this gap is so that I can reach inside with my pinkies to scratch some sort of cockpit!

So have now sanded down the balsa to the formers to get the tail shape and given the whole fuselage a couple of white glue washes and then a few washes of Johnsons Klear to seal the wood ready for the next stage......oh...and I also tidied up the cockpit area and glued some plastic sheets on the walls and floor.

rfr_007.jpg

This next photo shows a couple of balsa panels I have made that will fill the cockpit sides at a later stage...

rfr_009.jpg

...and here they are dry fitted....

rfr_003.jpg

image.jpg

A head safety crash thingy (for want of a better word!!)...was made from Balsa and dry fitted to the fuselage next!

qa_002.jpg

qa_005.jpg

qa_004.jpg

Next post ...The wings!:thumbsup:

Here is post number 2!

The Wings!....not very exciting photos but a little progress!

I had no real scale plans for this just a 2D drawing of the wings and stabilizers....so I first cut out the drawings and glued it to stiff cardboard...then I drew round the wing and stabilizer like a kid in school onto balsa wood;)......the thickness of the wing was achieved by cutting out the front plan view of the wing and drawing around it onto the leading edge of the wood....I hope I am explaining this ok!....

.....if not...here's a photo of the templates and the markings on the balsa wood!

image.jpg

Here is the port wing sanded to shape...

c_1.jpg

c_2.jpg

....and here they are all shaped up the best that I could do!

c_3.jpg

The other thing I have done is to drill out the front Radiator scoop ...tidy it up a bit and add the rad shutters....

This is what it looks like...

c_4.jpg

c_5.jpg

That's all I have accomplished in the last few days with this build......getting there....slowly slowly!:think:

See you next post ...and thanks for looking in guys!

Fozzy

3 minutes ago, crackerjazz said:

Wow!!! This is the stuff I love to watch -- real scratchbuilding!!!   What glue do you use to fill the spaces in between the pieces of balsa?  

I use PVA/Wood glue......I also dilute the PVA glue with water to seal the Balsa before painting....glad you are enjoying the build so far!

This is great to watch come together! Your scratch building process looks pretty good!

I enjoy using found items, household items, scrounged items to augment a model. I love building something that has no kit and getting it as close to accurate as possible. The sense of satisfaction is the reward.

Building something in 1/48 may take some getting used to, but so far ... so good!

Pete

I just looked at your B-17 nose through the link you provided ... Holey Shmitt! ... you certainly know your way around building something from scratch   :worship:  ... I'm just gonna sit back and watch this model come together!  :thumbsup:

Edited by K2Pete
added a comment

Hi guys

I have been trying to get some sort of cockpit together but it wasn't an easy task as I couldn't find a lot of info on the internet or books I have....so after looking at some of the photos ...I built the cockpit the best I could.....so warning this wont be 100% accurate :think:...but then again none of my models are!!;)

So after cleaning up the cockpit area I covered the floor and side walls with plastic card and then proceeded to build the Pilot's seat , rudder pedals and the stick...all put together with scraps of plastic and bits of wire.

This is what I came up with.....

C_6.jpg

The next task was to get the IP built ( not easy as its so small)....fix it in place and then a few other bits and bobs like the trim wheel and a few control boxes on the side walls. This was then all painted in perfect French style of Chamois (colour) paint...oh so pretentious!!B)

So this cockpit is kind of sparse as I didn't have much info to go on but I think it will do the job!.

As for photographing it for this post I do apologies as it was blasted difficult and it doesn't look that good!

....but here it is anyway!..The first 2 shots are with the starboard wall removed so you can kind of see into the cockpit!!

C_7.jpg

C_8.jpg

...and the last 4 photos are with both side walls in place...

C_9.jpg

C_10.jpg

C_11.jpg

C_12.jpg

Now that the cockpit is complete I can get back to preparing the fuselage for skinning.....this means I have got to finish the rear of the radiator tunnel before I can do this.

Once again there is absolutely no info or photos out there to assist with this task!....plenty of photos of the front intake but bugger all on the rear!....so its going to have to be "Artistic License"

So when I have fooled around with that I will be back!

Cheers for looking in

Fozzy

Thanks Joel!

A very small update!

It took me quite a few hours to find some sort of info and photos of the rear of the radiator tunnel....but alas I came up with nothing substantial except a few out of focus photos!

So I had to use a bit of imagination to get this done!....I don't think it is far off what the real thing should look like but..hey ho !

C_13.jpg

C_14.jpg

Now that that is done I can try and get on with the skinning of the fuselage which I have been dying to do as I have had enough at looking at a lump of wood!

I'll be back when I have made more progress!

Cheers

Fozzy

3 hours ago, Joel_W said:

Fozzy,

Looking quite good. And like you I can't wait to see her with some skin on.  that surely will be a major step towards getting to the finish line.

Joel

Thanks Joel...yes a major step but still lots to do yet! :thumbsup:

Hi there guys!

Well the fuselage is at last skinned!...a tad laborious but worth it in the end I think!

I'll walk you through the process which I chose to do....not everyone would do it this way but it works for me!;)

So what I needed for this task was a few scraps of plastic card ...some paper card...glue and my favorite riveting tool!...which I will show you ............

C15.jpg

I use this to punch out the rivets on the plastic card....I basically got a piece of kit sprue...drilled a small hole in the end and super glued a sewing pin in the hole...and Bingo there's your riveting tool!.......with gentle pressure on the plastic it makes great rivets as I hope you will see in the coming photos.....and it cost #ugger all!^_^

Using the paper card, I placed it over each panel of the fuselage ...a panel at a time ...and carefully measured the panel to make a template which I then drew with pencil onto the plastic card.This is not as easy at it seems because the card has to go round some awkward shapes....easier with paper card than plastic!.....the rivet lines for the fuselage were then parked on the reverse side of the plastic panel and then the little riveting tool did the rest!.

Here are some shots of the fuselage half covered....

C15_1.jpg

C15_2.jpg

C15_3.jpg

C15_4.jpg

You can also see that with a few scraps of plastic I added some of the detail on the cowlings...air intakes and the like!.....the next few shots are of the fuselage completely skinned.

C15_6.jpg

C15_7.jpg

C15_8.jpg

A coat of Humbrol 64 was then applied as an undercoat to see if there were any blemishes..(awful errors on my behalf I mean of course!!:o)...and there was!......a bit of PVA glue sorted that out and then another undercoat was applied.

I then sealed that lot with a coat of Johnson Klear.

More detail to be added at a later stage but here is now the skinned fuselage....

C15_9.jpg

C16.jpg

C16_1.jpg

C16_2.jpg

C16_3.jpg

C16_4.jpg

C16_5.jpg

C16_6.jpg

C16_7.jpg

So there we go then!

I am off to Blighty tomorrow for the Christmas and New Year period and will be back in about 3 weeks time to  continue with this scratch build.....next up....the dreaded attaching of the wings and things!!!

I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a happy New Year and see you next year!!!

Cheers

Fozzy

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys

I do hope you all had a great Xmas and New Year with plenty of kits as presents!!:thumbsup:

So finally packed my suitcase away and managed to get into my office!:)

I am going to try and get this build finished asap as I need to get back to the B17G......but scratch building and rushing don't go together ...so I only have a wee progress update!:(

Head rest and exhausts!...not the wing fix as previously mentioned!;)

Here is the head rest I previously made from Balsa attached to the fuselage......

image.jpg

D_1.jpg

At a later stage I will make a head cushion for the pilot bonse!

So down to the exhausts.....I checked in my box of electrical wire and chose the appropriate gauge and then stripped off the sleeve...

D_(2).jpg

Then I drilled out the holes where the exhaust ends will protrude .........

D_(3).jpg

...and with a little touch of super glue small cut lengths were glued into the holes...........

D_(4).jpg

D_(5).jpg

Once they are painted they should look the part!

I'm afraid that is as much as I have managed to do since returning to Bulgaria!.......not very exciting stuff but I'm slowly getting there!

Tail fin is up next....so until then....

Thanks for looking in

Fozzy

Hi guys

Its Wings and Things time!.....the worst stage for any scratch build in my opinion!:worry:

The thing is ....attaching the wings can be the make or break of the model....not so bad for a kit as everything is totally lined up for the connection...well it should be if the manufacturer is good....but for a scratch build its almost kind of suck it and see....hours of staring at it from all angles ...is the dihedral correct ....in fact should the wings actually be dihedral?....quick another look at some plans/photos...and how the hell am I supposed to make those wing root fairings!!! ..... it has to be a strong connection at the wing root else your in trouble!...as so it goes on....

But hey ho ...its just a model....no need to loose any sleep over it is there?....is there?

So photo time...I have also made the tail fin and attached it......here's the fin...made from Balsa.

E.jpg

all put together and marked ...minus the wood sealer

E_(1).jpg

So to the wings. This next photo shows the preparation of the wing root attachment ....

E_(2).jpg

Here is the Port wing made from Balsa. You can see that I have super glued a couple of small nails for strength of the attachment...

E_(3).jpg

...all ready to attach!

E_(4).jpg

The next 2 photos show both wings attached including the tail fin....

E_(5).jpg

E_(6).jpg

I made made the elevators out of Balsa and fixed them into their  position and then gave the whole control surfaces a dose of wood sealant and paint.

The next few photos show my progress so far....

E_(7).jpg

E_(8).jpg

E_(9).jpg

E_(10).jpg

E_(11).jpg

This last photos shows the blasted wing fairing I made from a small strip of plastic.....fiddly as Hell...and you know how fiddly Hell is!:wink:

E_(12).jpg

I am pleased this part of the build is finished as it always gives me sleepless nights!

Next up I think is going to be the spinner and a few minor details on the wings and a bit of a tidying up here and there with filler!

So until then.....BFN!

Cheers

Fozzy

Afternoon chaps!

I hope all is well in your modelling world your end!

Lots of progress this end with this build which means lots of photos!!;).....so apologies before I start!

In this post I have finished most of the detailing all except the under carriage......so lets start off with the prop!

The easiest way for me to make the spinner and blades was to carve from balsa....here's the block ready for the spinner....

F.jpg

...and here it is finished....

F_(1).jpg

Blades were next ,again from a balsa block.....

F_(2).jpg

....and here is the finished prop all put together....

F_(3).jpg

Now for some more detail.......a piece of kit sprue filed down makes good blisters for the upper wings...although it was trial and error as its only 3mm small...damn fiddly

F_(4).jpg

Bits of plastic for the trim tabs and ailerons hinges.....

F_(5).jpg

Plastic support struts for the stabilizers....

F_(6).jpg

the barrels are a cut piece of telephone cable and the drums are made from Balsa on these underwing MAC 1934

Mgs....

F_(7).jpg

again telephone wire for the auxiliary fuel tank lines....(why the French designers would have these exposed I shall never figure out :o...must be a reason I guess!!)

F_(8).jpg

Here's the tail skid and actuation rods for the rudder and trim tabs...again plastic scrap and wire...

F_(9).jpg

here's the access step and foot hold...also the bloody fiddly ASI !!..(excuse my French!...well it is a French machine!

:P)

F_(10).jpg

You can see in this shot the head rest for the pilot....

F_(11).jpg

....and finally!!......here are 5 overall shots!..........

F_(12).jpg

F_(13).jpg

F_(14).jpg

F_(15).jpg

F_(16).jpg

Really getting to the end of this build now.......next up will be the dangley old undercart!.....looking forward to those wheel spats......NOT!!!!!

Thanks for your patients in ploughing through all these photos!!;)

Cheers

Fozzy

Hi everyone

I can really see the end of this build racing up towards me now!...I managed to get the undercart done without too many problems ....the next big thing for me really is trying to decide which colour scheme to do!:unsure:

I kind of like the aluminum finish...but is it too boring?:hmmm:....there are quite a few schemes to choose from!...what ever I choose I am kind of governed by how easy it will be to replicate the markings....because they will all have to be copied by hand!.....decisions decisions!!!

Any way ...back to the update on the undercarriage.

Most of this build I have used balsa wood as I find it easy to replicate parts...and looking at the wheel spats I had to make then it just had to be balsa!.....so this first photo shows a small balsa block and a template of the wheel spat....

G.jpg

Once the spats were sanded into shape I turned my attention to the wheels. I only made half of the wheel and tyre as the other half wouldn't be seen as it would be covered by the spat. There are many different ideas on how to make wheels ...but I always use my tried and tested method of wire insulation for the tyre and plastic sheet for the wheel.

First I cut out the circumference of the wheel from a piece of plastic and then wrap the wire insulation around the wheel....to do that you first have to take out the wire from the insulation and then cut the insulation open so that it will wrap over the wheel disc....super glue does the trick.......here is a photo

G_(1).jpg

I hope the photo shows the method better than my explanation!!:whistle:

The undercarriage main legs were made from a cut length of hard wood.....obviously stronger than balsa as they will have to be  load bearing .....here are the spats/wheels and legs completed...

G_(2).jpg

Locating holes were drilled out to house the undercarriage legs and the two wheel struts either side....and with cut lengths of hard wood for the struts it was all put together using super glue.

G_(3).jpg

G_(4).jpg

All the wood was then sealed and over coated with primer.

So these last 4 photos show that now at long last my Dewoitine is now a blank canvas and ready for the colour scheme....what ever that may be!!

G_(5).jpg

G_(6).jpg

G_(7).jpg

G_(8).jpg

I think what I will probably do is spray the whole thing with Aluminum to get an idea on what it might look like ....if I don't like it I can always over spray another base colour

So I'll be back with some sort of painted Dewoitine rather than looking at all this grey undercoat!!

Until then...cheers for looking in

Fozzy

OUT-STAND-ING!

You knocked it outta the park Fozzy! Nice job!

For the finish, if Aluminum was your first consideration, have you tried household Aluminum foil, both sides for slightly different finishes?

Done right, and we can see you do things right, it would look pretty good!

Pete

Hi guys

All done!:yahoo:

So after 2 months I managed to finish this scratch built Dewoitine D.510 this morning!

Since my last post I managed to add some detail ..like the windshield ( hardest part of the model to replicate I think!)...antenna's as well as the paint and markings job.

I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed my self with this build and it made a good change to the BEAST that shall be named as my B17G!!. I decided in the end to do a metallic finish on this bird and searched photos of all the different Dewoitine's markings that I could possibly copy!...There are many different versions of this aircraft....some with antenna's...some without gun sights...this version that version and so it went on!:(....but in the end I went with a version that wasn't too hard to hand paint the markings!....well I say not hard .....but it was..... due to the fact that this is a 1:48 scale model....good job I didn't attempt a smaller scale!!

I only managed to find one photo of this version which was slightly out of focus and only a side profile and so this will be my excuse for the dodgy markings!:whistle:

Accurate?.... well not really! ...but not far off I would say....but it's the best that I could do with this model!

Here are a few photos of the finished article which depicts a D.510 ....serial no 166 from Escadrille 3C2 of Aeronavale

H.jpg

H_(1).jpg

H_(2).jpg

H_(3).jpg

H_(4).jpg

H_(5).jpg

H_(6).jpg

H_(7).jpg

H_(8).jpg

My thanks to all who have shown an interest in this scratch build and I will be posting more photos in the Display case if you want to see more!:)

Well its now either back to continuing with the B17G or maybe another scratch build or I might have a go at super detailing a kit.....choices choices!!

Cheers again for looking in...you may now stand down!:P

Fozzy