Question about Perfect Plastic Putty

Another newbie question...so I am experimenting with PPP and Squadron and seem to find a combo of both seems to work for me.  I read often about how you should soak or wash a model before priming and painting but would doing so soften and ruin the PPP filling since it's water soluble?

The easiest way to wash the model is to do it while the parts are still on the sprue trees. Then, just before priming and painting, wipe it down with isopropyl alcohol. I don't know how it would affect the putty, but a careful light wipe down should be okay.

I use 3M Acryl putty which I find to be very good and it sands to a feather edge. NAPA, Autozone, etc  may carry it. If not go to a place that supplies automotive paint to car repair shops etc.

Bob

Edited by Bob Beary
added data

What Bob said!!

I find PPP needs a coating before painting. A primer is fine. I will often use a thin CA "skim coat", which when filed and buffed makes it indistinguishable from the plastic.

My current favorite putties are Tamiya White (thin and shape with solvent) and Vallejo (thin and shape with water). Vallejo is available in a squeeze bottle, like their paints, and a tube with a "caulking tip", which is just wonderful for laying in a bead of putty in tight places.

water soluble so that will remove the PPP. That said I still like it. It is great for wing joins and similar applications. If you take care when prepping for paint and just give it a quick pass with lint free rag moist with  Alcohol like Bob suggest you will be fine. 

I've been using it to fill panel lines and fine seams to good effect, and sealing it with Future or whatever it is they call it this week. For larger areas, Milliput works better- it feathers much better than PPP.  A quick wipe with rubbing alcohol is all you need before painting- cheers!