What's up with NH105 bu.no. 166878 from VFA-154?

Canada not getting new Super Hornets.  Todays (12/9/17) Wall Street Journal reports Canada is not buying Hornets due to Boeing protesting Bombardier sales in the USA.  They are considering used f-18's from Australia.

Geoff M

15 hours ago, BoeingDriver said:

Looks like those were shipped in a C-5 to/form somewhere.

The presence of sling mounting hardware would seem to contradict that option?

And why remove engines and vertical control surfaces (but not entire vertical stabs) for air transport?

Not being argumentative, just deducing options from photos....

11 hours ago, habu2 said:

The presence of sling mounting hardware would seem to contradict that option?

And why remove engines and vertical control surfaces (but not entire vertical stabs) for air transport?

Not being argumentative, just deducing options from photos....

This gave me the idea...

facts-about-largest-plane-in-the-us-air-force-216.jpg

The info I found was that both birds are there with In Service Repairs. The 41 bird had fire damage of an unspecified nature, and the 154 bird did not list a reason. However, the 154 bird has since had its information transferred over, and is being carried, by 122.

They might be being used for spare parts for NSAWC (or NAWDC as NSAWC is called now). NAWDC has several F-18Fs in the unit. When NSAWC used to have their F-14s there were several Tomcat hulks out on the ramp that they were pulling parts off of. That might be what's going on with these two Super Hornets. That being said, they might be waiting on parts too. In the past I've seen several VFC-13 F-5Es looking like these two Hornets. You'd swear that they'd never fly again, and then the next time that I went back they'd be up and flying! Either of these scenario's would be my guess. FWIW, Fred K.

• 2 weeks later...