Hey guys,

im building my first resin kit and was just wondering what type of primer I should use? I would be looking for something in a spray can and would have to be suitable for resin and Milliput which covers quite a bit of the model. 

Thanks in advance

Mark

Either of the Tamiya lacquer based primers will work just fine for your needs.  I've used Mig Ammo acrylic primer on some resin parts and it worked just fine, but it's no where as tough as the Tamiya primers.

Joel

Gunze has several rattle can primers, with specific formulations for plastic, resin, and metal. They're all excellent.

Lately I've been airbrushing thinned Mr Surfacer. It produces a beautifully smooth finish, filling in surfaces scratches without obscuring even fine detail. I'll overcoat with Mr White Base when I spray yellow, like the CL-415 in my current sig.

6 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Gunze has several rattle can primers, with specific formulations for plastic, resin, and metal. They're all excellent.

Lately I've been airbrushing thinned Mr Surfacer. It produces a beautifully smooth finish, filling in surfaces scratches without obscuring even fine detail. I'll overcoat with Mr White Base when I spray yellow, like the CL-415 in my current sig.

I've done the same with thinning out Tamiya Gray primer sealer with their Yellow cap thinner. Works great. It's my go to primer for any paint job that isn't acrylic. For that I  love the Mig Ammo primers. 

Joel

44 minutes ago, Piker38 said:

I need to paint some 3D printed items from Shapeways, printed in their Frosted Ultra Detail material.

What primer should I use on these ?

While I haven't dealt with any of Shapeways 3D items, I have a friend who has, and he used an acrylic primer not a lacquer based one. 

Joel

With that material, I would tend to thinned Mr Surfacer to fix the surface texture. BUT, as Joel hinted at, try it on some of the sprue or waste material first! If you don't have waste material, I could try on some I have.