S-3 Viking 1/48

Hello all

I was lucky on E-bay the other day and got an old Esci Viking kit for very cheap! I had once built this when I was a teenager and remember it as nice but not much more! Could someone please point me to reviews, build threats and AM parts if those are needed?

I have already looked at the Eduard cockpit and the seats from Wolfpack.

Any hints or comments on that kit would be welcome. Preferabaly I would like to have it fitting to my 1977 VF-84 Tomact...I also have a Vigilante planned from that time frame.

thanks

Uwe

There is quite a bit of aftermarket for the S-3 in 1/48. I've got a set of "Early" Fan/Inlet set from Sierra Hotel Models and a metal Scale Aircraft Conversions landing gear set. I don't know that metal is needed, but as I'm adding a resin cockpit, I thought it couldn't hurt (plus I got a good deal oneBay). I also have the True Details Cockpit Set for the S-3B that I think was originally from KMC. Someone also makes a new Sonobuoy Launcher section replacement that has the mods of the S-3B belly area that the S-3B had. You may need to do some searching on your favorite vendors' site(s), but there is stuff out there for it.

Here's some pics of the engine set:

shm_s-3_1w.jpg

shm_s-3_2w.jpg

shm_s-3_3w.jpg

shm_s-3_4.jpg

shm_s-3_5.jpg

The photos aren't the best, but you can see that the fan blades are much sharper than the original plastic.

Edited by DonSS3
Added Photos
5 hours ago, anj4de said:

Hello all

I was lucky on E-bay the other day and got an old Esci Viking kit for very cheap! I had once built this when I was a teenager and remember it as nice but not much more! Could someone please point me to reviews, build threats and AM parts if those are needed?

I have already looked at the Eduard cockpit and the seats from Wolfpack.

Any hints or comments on that kit would be welcome. Preferabaly I would like to have it fitting to my 1977 VF-84 Tomact...I also have a Vigilante planned from that time frame.

thanks

Uwe

What timeframe are you going to build your Viking toward?  If you are talking ~1977, then don't worry about any aftermarket S-3B items.  In 1977 the S-3A was the only model flying (the B model came out years later toward the end of the 80's/early 90's).  Recommend replacement of the intakes and engine fan regardless, but keep the old style round wingtip ESM detectors, and the full sonobuoy launcher on the underside.  Don't add the ALE-39 chaff/flare dispensers (B mod only).  You can load it out on the wings with standard drop tanks and/or bombs/MK20 cluster weapons (no Harpoon/buddy refueling podl, B mod only).  Torpedoes or MK-82 slick weapons in the bomb bays are good as well. 

Cheers

Collin

Thanks a lot all...great input already. The kit should be here in a couple of days. A basement find, so I assume the decals will be trash, but the rest is still in the bags...not too bad for 15EUR ;-)

So far I lean torwards a 1977 Nimitz bird...even though I just spotted the VS-21 retirement sceme which I also like a lot! The pin-up looks just great...:-)

thanks

Uwe

That is a great shot of an original S-3A (markings and round ESM antennas are a dead give away).

Interesting to see the panel fasteners so stark in contrast to the white and gull grey. 

Was this picture taken on "December the 6th, 1941"?  I'm sure others will get the joke. 

Cheers

Collin

Edited by Collin
29 minutes ago, Darren Roberts said:

What if I go back in time and meet my grandfather, long before he has kids. We get into an argument and I kill him. How can I ever be born to go back in time and kill him? 

:-)

Goffy Model made a weapons and wheel bay set in resin but sadly it is out of production. I have the Paragon Models wing fold set and was unaware that Wolfpack had made an equivalent set.

I built my Viking when the kit came out many years ago in the ESCI box and of course I broke the landing gear. The landing gear is very fine so that is probably why that happened. I think SAC makes a set and I might get it for my next one. Or I could simply not play with my kits when done :)

On 12/12/2017 at 11:37 PM, skyhawk174 said:

Goffy Model made a weapons and wheel bay set in resin but sadly it is out of production. I have the Paragon Models wing fold set and was unaware that Wolfpack had made an equivalent set.

I built my Viking when the kit came out many years ago in the ESCI box and of course I broke the landing gear. The landing gear is very fine so that is probably why that happened. I think SAC makes a set and I might get it for my next one. Or I could simply not play with my kits when done :)

SAC does/did make a metal gear set for the S-3. I've got one in the stash (and no, you can't have it). :cheers:

Edited by DonSS3
Typo

I've got one of these Phase Hanger conversion sets on the way, it looks pretty nice in their photo. I'm not real good at scratchbuilding, and really I'm not wanting to take the time to do so, so this will help me a lot.

This is the aircraft I want to do:

http://www.airfighters.com/photo/80610/M/USA-NASA/Lockheed-S-3B-Viking/N601NA/

I've already got decals, a cockpit set, SAC landing gear and the nacelles/fans I posted earlier.

nasa_s-3.jpg

Edited by DonSS3
Added Photo

To match the correct Hoover squadron with VF-84 in CAG-8 during that time would be the VS-24 Scouts.

Im a retired S-3A/B Sensor Operator. The one thing I see, even from the most gifted modelers, is painting the S-3’s rear canopies. The TACCO and SENSO canopies ‘are’ clear, but they are layered with a Light Gull Gray adhiesive paper backing to block out daylight. Without it, the back seaters had no chance seeing what was on their display monitors.

For a good affect, slightly darken Light Gull Gray and paint the canopy panels. To give the look of depth to create the “paper backed affect”, add sever coats of High Clear Gloss over the panels.

note the NASA S-3 above. Even in a white paint scheme, the paper backing was never changed out to match the external paint. During the TPS scheme days, the rear canopies were still Light Gull Gray paper backed.

Tracy

Edited by Vidar_710
29 minutes ago, Vidar_710 said:

To match the correct Hoover squadron with VF-84 in CAG-8 during that time would be the VS-24 Scouts.

Im a retired S-3A/B Sensor Operator. The one thing I see, even from the most gifted modelers, is painting the S-3’s rear canopies. The TACCO and SENSO canopies ‘are’ clear, but they are layered with a Light Gull Gray adhiesive paper backing to block out daylight. Without it, the back seaters had no chance seeing what was on their display monitors.

For a good affect, slightly darken Light Gull Gray and paint the canopy panels. To give the look of depth to create the “paper backed affect”, add sever coats of High Clear Gloss over the panels.

note the NASA S-3 above. Even in a white paint scheme, the paper backing was never changed out to match the external paint. During the TPS scheme days, the rear canopies were still Light Gull Gray paper backed.

Tracy

In the ESCI and Italeri kit the sensor operators panels are solid anyway. Missed that those panels are a different colour so thanks for the reminder. Will remember to do that on my next Viking.

On 12/13/2017 at 1:15 AM, Stephen said:

G'day Steven,

A lot of those aftermarket bits look like the Two Bob's resin parts, did Phase Hangar Resin take up the molds?

Good to know that these bits are available again,

cheers,

Pappy

Oh yeah, I'm aware how the panels are molded... just giving some advise on how to recreate the clear canopy with paper backing technique. 

I did 2 sea tours with VS-22 Checkmates callsign The Vidars.

Heres a couple of Checkmate builds of mine from over 20 years ago...

48scaleViking2.jpg

72scaleViking2.jpg

Tracy

23 minutes ago, skyhawk174 said:

Yeah what he said...

I thought Two Bobs was only decals. You must be talking about Sierra Hotel parts.

It was Two Mikes, who originally were kind of connected to Two Bobs. Two Mikes took some time off and then rebranded themselves as Phase Hangar Resin. The Two Mikes parts are the theirs.

3 hours ago, habu2 said:

Two Bobs was in the resin business ????

1 hour ago, Darren Roberts said:

It was Two Mikes, who originally were kind of connected to Two Bobs. Two Mikes took some time off and then rebranded themselves as Phase Hangar Resin. The Two Mikes parts are the theirs.

Apologies, I meant Two Mikes!

Thanks for clearing that up,

cheers,

Pappy