S-3 Viking 1/48

1 hour ago, Darren Roberts said:

It was Two Mikes, who originally were kind of connected to Two Bobs. Two Mikes took some time off and then rebranded themselves as Phase Hangar Resin. The Two Mikes parts are the theirs.

Thanks Darren. I actually have the Two Mike S-3B set and I kinda forgot Two Mikes had the Viking engine stuff. I went to the new site and bookmarked it just last week in fact.

57 minutes ago, ChesshireCat said:

just heard the otherday that the S3 is now the lead plane in the replacement process for the COD contracts! Thought they all were scrapped in AZ.

gary

April 1st is a few months off.  The remnants of the fleet are on poles, scrapped, or baking in the desert in a shell.

Collin

6 hours ago, Collin said:

Gary is not too far off though. There are lines of chatter happening. 

Collin

I at first found it strange till one digs in deep. It seems there are quite a few low hour airframes preserved (news to me), and guess they almost fit the need already. You figure that the S3 has a proven airframe, and is faster with a little better range. That alone will save the defense department a ton of money, allowing them to further upgrade the airframes and electronics. As skeptical is I am, it makes a lot of sense.

gary

On 20.12.2017 at 9:21 PM, Collin said:

Brilliant pictures in this article. Would have helped me a lot for my NASA Viking I finished about a year ago :-)

Thanks for sharing!

3 hours ago, ChesshireCat said:

I at first found it strange till one digs in deep. It seems there are quite a few low hour airframes preserved (news to me), and guess they almost fit the need already. You figure that the S3 has a proven airframe, and is faster with a little better range. That alone will save the defense department a ton of money, allowing them to further upgrade the airframes and electronics. As skeptical is I am, it makes a lot of sense.

gary

It all comes down to money. Lockheed still holds the drawings and data on the airframe. Plus parts/maintenance to get any birds pulled from the desert and modify them. It isn't going to be cheap but may be cheaper than a new start program. 

Navy was foolish to get rid of the aircraft in their short sighted rush to delete/not upgrade anything anti- surface or anti- submarine in order to concentrate on Strike (no matter how many helo's and P-8's you build). Even when it comes to COD, no way a V-22 replaces a C-2.  I said as much the day I turned in my active duty paperwork (at the end of my NFO commitment) back in 2000 knowing the S-3B community was dying and slated to go away. 

Collin

Yes!

A new War Hoover kit, and it needs to be in 1/32 scale with everything in the box to make any version. Plus wing/tail folds and slats n flap options. All the weapon the Viking could carry, refueling probe, radar, FLIR, mad boom, open bomb bay...

With the possibility of S. Korea getting some airframes,  I was hoping Academy may take it on. Hobby Boss would be another.

one can dream.

Tracy

20 hours ago, Collin said:

It all comes down to money. Lockheed still holds the drawings and data on the airframe. Plus parts/maintenance to get any birds pulled from the desert and modify them. It isn't going to be cheap but may be cheaper than a new start program. 

Navy was foolish to get rid of the aircraft in their short sighted rush to delete/not upgrade anything anti- surface or anti- submarine in order to concentrate on Strike (no matter how many helo's and P-8's you build). Even when it comes to COD, no way a V-22 replaces a C-2.  I said as much the day I turned in my active duty paperwork (at the end of my NFO commitment) back in 2000 knowing the S-3B community was dying and slated to go away. 

Collin

who actually owns the rights to the S3 depends on where the money to develop it came from. The only group that seems to always use their own money is Northrup. If it's Government cash to build and develop it, then the airframe belongs to us, the Tax payer. This happens almost yearly, and few understand it. Yet on the otherside of the coin, say a company gets the contract to modify the S3 in a different configuration. Then they can take those parts and copyright them. Normally the tooling and machinery belongs to the U.S. Defense department, but even then they may allow it to be used on another project. (we did it all the time). This saves the tax payer hundreds of millions over the years.

I say it's a winning idea!

gary

4 hours ago, ChesshireCat said:

who actually owns the rights to the S3 depends on where the money to develop it came from. The only group that seems to always use their own money is Northrup. If it's Government cash to build and develop it, then the airframe belongs to us, the Tax payer. This happens almost yearly, and few understand it. Yet on the otherside of the coin, say a company gets the contract to modify the S3 in a different configuration. Then they can take those parts and copyright them. Normally the tooling and machinery belongs to the U.S. Defense department, but even then they may allow it to be used on another project. (we did it all the time). This saves the tax payer hundreds of millions over the years.

I say it's a winning idea!

gary

Actually no, unless the Govt has bought the initial engineering data rights to the platform the initial developer still has to be in the loop.  Example: The govt can’t make a change to a P-8 airframe or internal configuration change without Boeing in the loop. You want to bend metal or reconfigure a S-3 to accommodate another mission, you have to have the initial engineering data/tools which is still retained by the original builder (or go to Lockmart and hand over a ton of cash to buy the data, which will be very expensive because they will be potentially loosing business). It’s a part of Govt acquisition I witnessed briefly on an earlier project in my civi job, its all about money and maximizing potential business by contractor.  I wish it were that simple Gary, but unless it’s a completely Govt built aircraft or the Govt buys all the tools/data rights up front, it leaves the contractor in the loop. There are exceptions that I have been a part of, but those are normally smaller or unique in nature. Good discussion. 

But in the end, we do need a new tool 1/72 and 1/48 S-3 Viking kit. Tamiya? 

Cheers

Collin

5 hours ago, Vidar_710 said:

Yes!

With the possibility of S. Korea getting some airframes,  I was hoping Academy may take it on. Hobby Boss would be another.

one can dream.

Tracy

The South Korea deal for 16xS-3’s was killed this past Spring. 

http://m.aviationweek.com/awindefense/s-korea-eyeing-p-8-swordfish-s-3-upgrade-dropped

Collin

3 hours ago, Collin said:

The South Korea deal for 16xS-3’s was killed this past Spring. 

http://m.aviationweek.com/awindefense/s-korea-eyeing-p-8-swordfish-s-3-upgrade-dropped

Collin

I was under the impression that as it stand now, there is zero chance of any S-3's returning to flight.   Is this correct?  Through the SK deal was the last chance the Hoover had of flying again since the COD deal was locked up by the V-22 (agreed, that is just a horrible decision). 

Just now, habu2 said:

IMO Bud Light (or any US lights) are not real beer.....

I agree. Pretty much all the domestic mass produced beers are poo. There are some that aren't bad but those that have the most advertising on the tube usually are pretty bland. Dilly, dilly!