S-3 Viking 1/48

9 minutes ago, habu2 said:

IMO Bud Light (or any US lights) are not real beer.....

Where is the "like" button.   Funny to go overseas, home of so many great beers and see Bud and Miller available.   Who would drink that swill (aside from a good number of US tourists apparently)??

Dilly, Dilly to you as well!

Bud Light and any other off yellow colored domestic beer is moose piss. I prefer a good Dunkle, preferably in a tall glass in Munich. I was there this past summer for two weeks, pure Dunkle heaven. Some of the local Stout or Amber Bocks are good. 

Cheers

Collin

Edited by Collin
1 hour ago, 11bee said:

Funny to go overseas, home of so many great beers and see Bud and Miller available.   Who would drink that swill (aside from a good number of US tourists apparently)??

A friend of mine moved to Britain and mentioned this. I, too, asked why?!  He said the locals like them because they're different.

8 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

A friend of mine moved to Britain and mentioned this. I, too, asked why?!  He said the locals like them because they're different.

LOL.   That’s probably the most diplomatic way to describe that stuff.   Along with obesity (via fast food), social media and twerking, just another gift the US had provided to the rest of the world.   

2 hours ago, Collin said:

Bud Light and any other off yellow colored domestic beer is moose piss. I prefer a good Dunkle, preferably in a tall glass in Munich. I was there this past summer for two weeks, pure Dunkle heaven. Some of the local Stout or Amber Bocks are good. 

Cheers

Collin

Collin...you're my man! Dunkel Bier is the best beer around! And with it half a duck, dumplings and red cabbadge! If you come back to munich I invite you to the "Hofbräuhaus" for 2-3 Mass Dunkel!

cheers

Uwe

1904000_602896166485712_1036881341645369871_n.jpg

Slightly off the S-3 topic but my fav Dunkles so far:

Warsteiner

Augistiner

Andechs

Spaten Optimator

willing to add to the list at anytime. 

1/32 S-3 would just be too darn big IMO. New tool 1/48 perfect. 1/72(like the recent Hasegawa E-2 series) would be welcome. 

Cheers

Collin

• 3 months later...

Need some help from the Hoover experts:

I'm building a 1/48 S-3B from the Italeri ES-3A kit(only avalialbe kits over here). I've got the 2 Mikes -B update, Wolfpack wingfold, metal legs.

Question is are there any parts for the S-3 that were taken out from the ES boxing? Also any info on what parts I should or should not use from the kit to make a S-3? especially on the antennas and airframe.

Also would I be able to leave the bomb bay open and put some stores in there or are the racks and door actuators missing?

Thks for any info on the above!

Andy

You have the Two Mikes B-upgrade that will replace the lower buoy launcher panel with the 16 hole panel.  Other than that you have what you need with this base ES-3A kit to make a S-3B and then use the Two Mikes upgrade to bring it to a final B configuration.  The ES-3A kit also includes a buddy store refueling tank.

The kits bomb bay isn't the strongest but honestly you can't see much in there (even preflighting weapons in the bays were tough).  The kit comes with MK-46 torpedoes to put in there, but in the later years of the Viking they were hardly carried (although still legal).  MK-82 bombs would probably be more appropriate. 

Cheers

Collin  

The late B conversion stated above is after the ASW package was removed from the Bravo's, and AW's like myself were taken off the Viking. (Sad day, and STUPID move). If you're wanting to represent an S-3B in its Hey-Day, you're gonna need all 60 chutes. I've never bought the ES-3 kit, so I don't know what they added and omitted. There's some aftermarket stuff I already have for mine, and a few I didn't know about. Gonna have to order them! :-)

Tracy

Sorry to chip in on this thread, but has anyone seen the Black Dog 1/48 sets for the Viking? Detailed U/C, Nose bays etc, there's even a pair of pods for the wing stations. They look really good on the Black Dog site just wondered if anyone's seen them in the flesh?

Oh and just to give a Brit's opinion of 'those' two beers, they tend to be drunk by the youth of this country who (a) like to look cool drinking out of a bottle and (b) have yet to experiance more cultured beer from nearer to home. To the pit of misery for me then?

Edited by Wafu
On 4/8/2018 at 11:32 AM, Vidar_710 said:

The late B conversion stated above is after the ASW package was removed from the Bravo's, and AW's like myself were taken off the Viking. (Sad day, and STUPID move). If you're wanting to represent an S-3B in its Hey-Day, you're gonna need all 60 chutes. I've never bought the ES-3 kit, so I don't know what they added and omitted. There's some aftermarket stuff I already have for mine, and a few I didn't know about. Gonna have to order them! :-)

Tracy

I tried to go VS every time I came up for Sea Duty, but the detailer always told me he didn't have any available slots. :dontknow: I was in VP from 1975-95 as an SS-3, although I did get plenty of acoustic work at the different TSCs where I was stationed…

I agree 100% with you, getting rid of the S-3 was a monumentally stupid move. I hope it doesn't come back to bite the USN in the fool. 

14 hours ago, Vidar_710 said:

I have the Black Dog Super set. I'm VERY happy with the detail.

Tracy

We could use a new Viking!  With all the bells and whistles. Folding Wings, drop flaps, detailed landing gear, weapons Bays and cockpit.

On 2017-12-23 at 11:34 AM, anj4de said:

Collin...you're my man! Dunkel Bier is the best beer around! And with it half a duck, dumplings and red cabbadge! If you come back to munich I invite you to the "Hofbräuhaus" for 2-3 Mass Dunkel!

cheers

Uwe

Been to the Hofbräuhaus, even have some items I borrowed from there. :)

On 4/13/2018 at 3:15 AM, Wafu said:

Sorry to chip in on this thread, but has anyone seen the Black Dog 1/48 sets for the Viking? Detailed U/C, Nose bays etc, there's even a pair of pods for the wing stations. They look really good on the Black Dog site just wondered if anyone's seen them in the flesh?

Oh and just to give a Brit's opinion of 'those' two beers, they tend to be drunk by the youth of this country who (a) like to look cool drinking out of a bottle and (b) have yet to experiance more cultured beer from nearer to home. To the pit of misery for me then?

I bought the big set to compliment the old Goffy detail kits I've had in the stash.  The detail is phenomenal in the set.  I can't comment if there are any fit issues. 

Buy it if you plan on blowing it out and going all the way.  

Chris

• 3 months later...
On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 1:00 AM, swimmer25k said:

I bought the big set to compliment the old Goffy detail kits I've had in the stash.  The detail is phenomenal in the set.  I can't comment if there are any fit issues. 

Buy it if you plan on blowing it out and going all the way.  

Chris

I recently bought the Black Dog cockpit. Compared to the Goffy Model resin set (by the way, if anyone has this set and cares to sell it I'm interested!) I can say that it is almost identical BUT and I repeat BUT, it doesn't offer the number of details that the Goffy set does. As a matter of fact, when these two sets are compared, it's obvious that from the Black Dog cockpit set starboard aft panel is missing (sold as a separate resin set!), the upper cockpit details are missing (Goffy does give this one), the cockpit joysticks the same and the list goes on. HOWEVER, it does have a descent price for the detail it offers.

Now, I would like to have a look at the engine and the radar resin sets. The undercarriage and torpedo wells again look almost the same as those from Goffy.

Would I recommend this detail set? Absolutely, however as being a detail freak, I would LOVE to get my hands on one of the Goffy sets, particularly the cockpit!!!