S-3 Viking 1/48

36 minutes ago, dustiepal said:

I heard that Black Dog bought out Goffy Models stuff a few years ago.

Dave

Hence, the similarity Dave that I've mentioned.

Still, even if you try nowadays to find the Goffy set it's impossible. I think the UMM-USA website still has it as "out of stock" of course, with a price tag around $60.

I know, I really wish that the Goffy Models stuff was still available. I would really like their B-1B cockpit set but at least Black Dog brings us some hope of that as more  Goffy sets are rereleased.

Dave

On 8/6/2018 at 2:05 PM, dustiepal said:

I heard that Black Dog bought out Goffy Models stuff a few years ago.

Dave

Well that is interesting news. I was not aware that this happened. That's the thing with these after market producers; one minute they are there and the next poof, gone. So now what I do is that if I really want a set I try and get it when it is out even if I do not have a kit. I figure that I can always pick up the kit down the road but the resin detail set may be harder to get. This has proved true many times for me and the perfect example is the Zactomodel set for the Trumpeter 1/32nd A-7. I did not even have the kit when I picked it up. This was many years ago and I eventually got the kit at a really great price. Try and find the Zactomodel set now. Oh yes you can but how much do you want to pay? Someone even offered me $350 for my set.

Anyway, I have the Goffy Models set for the S-3 Viking weapons bay. Very very nice. Was not aware of the other sets and now I will look out for Black Dog to release them.

Yes we did... However, we usually flew using boom mics. The O2 mask was primarily for emergencies since we had a fully pressurized cabin environment.

I ejected from an S-3B in October '89. Soul survivor - hence my name "Vidar 710". My helmet was ripped from my head, split up the back side, and my chin strap was still snapped in place but ripped in half from water impact.

For some time after that accident, O2 masks were worn during take-offs and landings while operating from the ship to secure the helmet.

Tracy

Hi Vidar_710.

If I'm not too indiscreet may I ask what led to such a violent ejection? I'm not familiar with your incident.

I know that during ejection a pilot should take a certain posture.

Sernak

Edited by SERNAK

We had O2 masks as part of our equipment. You always plugged it in to check the O2 flow and the mask comms, then stowed it for takeoff. Some crew did snap it on for the catapult shot but 98% didn’t. It wasn’t mandatory (unlike Hornets/Tomcats/A-6/EA-6B). After launch as you headed up to do the package check (check out the refueling pod with another aircraft) the pilot and COTAC would throw on their mask for the check then remove them and go back to the boom mike. O2 masks were mandatory for overland low level flights, but not low level overwater when rigging ships or doing ASW. On a side note, just prior to night landing pilots would normally throw their mask on for a blast of 100% O2, supposedly to help their eyesight.  Obviously certain in-flight emergencies you had to don the mask. 

And as a real side note...cool O2 into your body after a night of drinking sure helped the hangover...not that I ever experienced that first hand...just told to me by a friend or two.  

Cheers

Collin

Edited by Collin
8 hours ago, Vidar_710 said:

Yes we did... However, we usually flew using boom mics. The O2 mask was primarily for emergencies since we had a fully pressurized cabin environment.

I ejected from an S-3B in October '89. Soul survivor - hence my name "Vidar 710". My helmet was ripped from my head, split up the back side, and my chin strap was still snapped in place but ripped in half from water impact.

For some time after that accident, O2 masks were worn during take-offs and landings while operating from the ship to secure the helmet.

Tracy

Damn that must have been a scary time! Glad you made it! And RIP to those that didn't...:salute:

5 hours ago, Collin said:

We had O2 masks as part of our equipment. You always plugged it in to check the O2 flow and the mask comms, then stowed it for takeoff. Some crew did snap it on for the catapult shot but 98% didn’t. It wasn’t mandatory (unlike Hornets/Tomcats/A-6/EA-6B). After launch as you headed up to do the package check (check out the refueling pod with another aircraft) the pilot and COTAC would throw on their mask for the check then remove them and go back to the boom mike. O2 masks were mandatory for overland low level flights, but not low level overwater when rigging ships or doing ASW. On a side note, just prior to night landing pilots would normally throw their mask on for a blast of 100% O2, supposedly to help their eyesight.  Obviously certain in-flight emergencies you had to don the mask. 

And as a real side note...cool O2 into your body after a night of drinking sure helped the hangover...not that I ever experienced that first hand...just told to me by a friend or two.  

Cheers

Collin

O2 levels were lowest on Saturday mornings on the flightline. It sure cured hangovers until it wore off. The guys replenishing the systems sure hated us on Saturdays.

9 hours ago, Vidar_710 said:

Tracy

Sorry to hear about your Squadron mates, good to hear you made it out.

17 minutes ago, Scooby said:

O2 levels were lowest on Saturday mornings on the flightline. It sure cured hangovers until it wore off. The guys replenishing the systems sure hated us on Saturdays.

Heaven help the young ensign going out to fight a Hornet in a TA-4J Saturday morning after a night in the good old Jax Officer Club.

or

God save the backseat TACCO/SENSO that decided to drink heavily on det and have to go out on Saturday morning (with the most aggressive and "not" smooth pilot) and have to track and MOT buoys and drop torpedos in a 90+ degree low level S-3...Hawaii dets were fun, but that was just plain torture.  

Not that it ever happened to myself...only stories I have overheard.

Cheers

Collin

Edited by Collin
8 hours ago, SERNAK said:

Hi Vidar_710.

If I'm not too indiscreet may I ask what led to such a violent ejection? I'm not familiar with your incident.

I know that during ejection a pilot should take a certain posture.

Sernak

Oct 7 '89  We had a complete hydraulic failure followed by a failure of the aileron AFCS channel. This happened during Case 1 operations (VFR) while in the clearing turn right off the cat. So, right off cat 1, the plane became unrecoverable immediately after the pilot initiated a right clearing turn, and continued to roll over on its back. I could see the CoTac's stick deflected all the way back to the left. We were all out of the envelope, but some how I made it anyway. I left the aircraft at about 110deg of roll 150ft over the water. Broke my back, 3 ribs, lacerated my left kidney, and a nasty shade of black and deep purple over the entire left side of my body. For about a month, I had flashes in my left eye due to impact trauma shifting the fluid around. The fluid was slowly trying to get back the way it was. As it moved over my optic nerve, I got these flashes that seemed like someone was taking flash photography just out side my peripheral view... drove me nuts. :-)

Edited by Vidar_710

ECAPAC seats have a stabilizing gyro only... meaning they go where they are aimed. Low and rolling upside down is not a good thing in that seat. Ejection seats in Tomcats, Hornets, and A-6’s and late A-7’s redirect upwards during an inverted ejections.

As far as S-3 accidents, we had our fair share. 

Just now, Vidar_710 said:

ECAPAC seats have a stabilizing gyro only... meaning they go where they are aimed. Low and rolling upside down is not a good thing in that seat. Ejection seats in Tomcats, Hornets, and A-6’s and late A-7’s redirect upwards during an inverted ejections.

G'day Vidar,

That was a lucky escape, even in consideration of the severity of your injuries and given the alternative.

I know that people who have used a Martin Baker seat are given a certificate and a special tie, is there any equivalent for using the ESCAPAC seat?

In any case you are a member of a very exclusive club,

cheers,

Pappy

Oddly enough, I received nothing from ESCAPAC, but I did get something from SEAWARS - a patch I believe. (mechanism that auto releases the parachute from the torso harness after being submerged in salt water). 

I was also inducted into SOS... (Society of Survivors) with a gold SOS tie clip, a Blue silk tie with gold embroidered SOS’s, and a patch. The significance of SOS is you are a soul survivor.

My squadron, VS-22 Checkmates, presented my with a plaque mounted D-ring and Catapillar. 

1 hour ago, Vidar_710 said:

The Tomcat's seat does not redirect upward after ejection, they are just like the ECAPAC seat, they go where they are fired.

Example, Lt. Hultgreen ejection in Oct 94.

• 1 month later...
On 9/29/2018 at 11:07 PM, csand40 said:

I'm desperately searching for seamless intakes if anybody has any leads.

Much appreciated,

Craig

Search Rhino Models on eBay.  They make a set of early and a set of late intakes.  The intakes are not always listed.  The seller is fairly reliable and his listings appear periodically. The other option is Sierra Hotel models but their website has the S-3 intakes listed as “sold out” for some time. 

On 9/30/2018 at 11:07 AM, csand40 said:

I'm desperately searching for seamless intakes if anybody has any leads.

Much appreciated,

Craig

Hmmm. Quickboost does a set of intakes for the A-10. I’m not sure if they would fit the bill though.

Mark

On 10/1/2018 at 7:20 PM, csand40 said:

Thanks okthree. I checked eBay but Rhino has got nothing listed at the moment. I'll keep an eye out though. I'm familiar with Sierra Hotel but saw their sets were currently "sold out".

Craig

Listings for intakes came up today

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-48-S-3A-B-VIKING-SEAMLESS-INTAKE-SET-LATE-for-ITALERI-AMT-/223173934937?nav=SEARCH

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-48-S-3A-B-VIKING-SEAMLESS-INTAKE-SET-EARLY-for-ITALERI-AMT-/223173934931?nav=SEARCH