WIP - 1/32 WNW Sopwith Camel - BR 1

I have a little start on this one already but figured why not start a WIP thread. 

W070NHs.jpg

I have done mostly interior work on this so far and I am currently working on the interior rigging. for that I have used EZ-ilne and Gaspatch Models turnbuckles. I jumped the gun on adding interior bits to the sides though as I should have done the rigging prior to this as it goes over some bits and behind others. This led to some fancy threading that I could otherwise have avoided. I still need to rig the rearmost bay on the port side and do the control cables running aft from the rudder control bar. 

4sHT1A3.jpg

UMGrr0p.jpg?1

DNokyvM.jpg

2RqHK1w.jpg

Here is a shot of the control panel:

5uTfdcC.jpg

I have also done some work on the Bentley engine. 

fHyurqr.jpg

Zach

Zach,

Outstanding work painting and staining for the various wood finishes. They really do look the part.  And your wiring of the cockpit came out darn perfect. I'll be following along to the conclusion of your build for sure.

Joel

Work progresses on the camel. 

Thanks for the kind feedback. Not sure I can live up to Rembrandt but we'll see :) 

Little more work done on the Bentley: 

Used a number of washes to make this look like it's had some hours on the engine. I deviated from the WNW painting instructions a bit as it was just a tonal crush of silver so I added some blacks grays and rusts to give it some interest in the cowling. Iginition wiring was done using beading wire which I bought at Michael's for such purposes. As it comes off the spool it's a little too stiff to be truly useful or lifelike but I find that if I anneal it in a tea light it is quite malleable and in this case the annealing process gave the wire a nice finish so I did not need to paint it. 

sOyAij1.jpg

6vr2PDN.jpg

I have decided to use this scheme:

E_Sopwith%20F.1%20Camel%20F5234.jpg

I realized I have a little theme going within my biplane collection of immediate post war service and I think it will be interesting. I have Soviet AF decals for the My Nie 17, Irish for the Bristol, RAF for the Ninak, Freikorps for the Roland D VIb and Yugoslav for the HPH Aviatik Berg D1. So a Polish Camel fits right in. I could probably find something 

I have actually made more progress than the engine but I am a little frustrated. I joined the fuselage halves but something must have been misaligned because they bottom seem was a real PIA to close up and I actually needed a little filler. Leave it to me to need filler on a WNW kit. The bottom wing was a very snug fit but I got it seated properly. This was difficult as there very little you can put pressure on to get it seated. I got it set but in the process one of my internal rigging lines came loose and I haven't a prayer of getting at it to fix it. 

I feel like this is grounds for being put in Wingnut Jail. Nothing seemed to be misaligned but not matter what i did this was a tough seem. 
KJgFh70.jpg

Here is a shot of the interior in the fuselage
vpGyEKB.jpg

here the top deck is just dry fit onto the fuselage assembly
GbMhKom.jpg

Zach