T-38A vs T-38C external differences

Picked up a Trumpeter 1/48 T-38C for a steal last week. Looking through my decal stash I have some test pilot T-38A decals. Would like to build a cabinet display model so no contest river counter build. I gather airframe wise the are the same. I know the Charlie brought avionics upgrades and maybe some engine improvements, but anything glaring from a external perspective?

Cheers

Collin

• 2 months later...
On 12/13/2017 at 12:56 AM, ccrqw said:

Oh man now I am really bummed cause the Trumpeter T-38C engine exhaust looks nothing like the pics above .

My T-38C kit is the same way. I’ve been going back and forth looking at reference pics and the kit trying to figure what is actually in the box. I definitely have T-38A instrument panels, intakes and exhausts but instructions and decals say T-38C.

I bought it new from an online retailer, I wonder if there was a batch mis-boxed?

From what I have read, the Wolfpack 1/48th T-38A is the best one on the market. Also, it seems that they announced/showed a T-38C at the Shizuoka show in January so that new kit is coming. I am sure it will be better than the Trumpeter kit.

2 hours ago, DET1460 said:

If its the TrumpyBoss kit it should come as no surprise. The lines of the fuselage as so far off its ALMOST comical. Wrong parts and shape are trademarks of that outfit. Can't understand the mistakes of those guys.

DET1460

Its true, with today’s technology you’d think they would get it right more often then not. It’s crazy to think that some of most accurately captured profiles and shapes are the old Monogram and Revell kits from 30 and 40 years ago.

So, it looks like the Trumpeter T-38C Talon kit #2877 that I have is indeed actually a T-38A. It actually works out ok since I have Caracals T-38A sheet in the decal binder:thumbsup:

23 hours ago, Hooker169 said:

Its true, with today’s technology you’d think they would get it right more often then not. It’s crazy to think that some of most accurately captured profiles and shapes are the old Monogram and Revell kits from 30 and 40 years ago.

So, it looks like the Trumpeter T-38C Talon kit #2877 that I have is indeed actually a T-38A. It actually works out ok since I have Caracals T-38A sheet in the decal binder:thumbsup:

I think the simple answer is that they don't care. I have also read that their internet access is limited so they do the best they can with what they can access.

I also heard that there is an A team, B team etc. for the mould designs. Not sure how true that is. We do know they can do great stuff. Take for example Hobbyboss 1/48 A-6A and A-6E kits. Amazing models and have effectively topped the reigning champ the Revell A-6 series. Just waiting on them to do the EA-6A  and Prowler.

My view is take every release for what it is. If it is a subject you love chances are you will buy it and maybe work on fixing the warts. Or not.

12 hours ago, DonSS3 said:

Is it possible that it's not that they don't care, maybe they just don't know any better.

Yeah maybe I mispoke and was too harsh. As I mentioned they do the best they can with what info they get. However having said that, on the armour side with Hobby Boss their kits are a lot better. One of our club members is actually helping them get their Canadian armour correct and it has paid off in spades. They got the kit about 95% correct which is great in my mind. He also mentioned he is working with them on some new releases. Looks good for us modern armour modelers.

15 hours ago, DonSS3 said:

Is it possible that it's not that they don't care, maybe they just don't know any better.

They don't know better or they don't care? Because from a lot of their mistakes and I'll put their A-6 kit as an example I think it's more like they don't give an F. There's "OHN F. KENNEDY" on the decal sheet, and comically the decal placement instructions for that same option say something something on the John F. Kennedy Carrier in text and right next below there's the picture profile with the same "OHN F. KENNEDY" plastered on its side.