C/KC-135 experten needed

Building a C-135A from the 1/144 Minicraft KC-135A.  Between the nose wheel bay and the wings, on the model are molded two “strakes” on the bottom of the fuselage.

What are they?  Are they only on tankers?  I cannot find photos of Stratolifters, early ones at least, with these strakes.  I am building a C-135A with the early Arctic orange/red nose, wing and tail band.

Thanks so much.

The "strakes" are housings for the Pilot Director Lights (PDI) used during inflight refueling to help the receiver pilot stay in the boom refueling envelope.

See no reasons they would be on a C-135, but can not give you a 100% "no they were not there" answer, but a google search of C-135A photos don't seem to have them.

Regards

Jim Barr

Edited by Jim Barr

21 hours ago, AD-4N said:

Building a C-135A from the 1/144 Minicraft KC-135A.  Between the nose wheel bay and the wings, on the model are molded two “strakes” on the bottom of the fuselage.

What are they?  Are they only on tankers?  I cannot find photos of Stratolifters, early ones at least, with these strakes.  I am building a C-135A with the early Arctic orange/red nose, wing and tail band.

Thanks so much.

Google has a few pics and it does't look like those were installed...

3354.jpg

Gc135-index.jpg

Thanks so much.  I looked and looked over the internet, but I had not seen the top b&w photo.   What I am shooting for is just like the color picture.  This is why sites like this are so useful.  I also think this was the original intent of the internet, rather than the more common use . . . . finding pictures of Kim Kardashian’s caboose.  😝