Yak-130 'Mitten' - 25/03/2018 FINISHED

Hi everyone! New project on the bench - Zvezda's 1:72 Yak-130. I wanted to build a model of this aircraft since I first saw it at MAKS, and luckily Zvezda fulfilled my wish.

Inspecting the instructions, one can see that the construction starts with the rear of the aircraft and it's quite complicated - at least on paper. On the other hand, the complex break down ensures the correct shapes of the full length jet intakes among other things.

yak130wip-1-XL.jpg

Double S-curvature of the intakes (vertical and lateral) is faithfully reproduced along with the turbine blades. I have only filled the front - visible part of the seam.

yak130wip-2-XL.jpg

Lower part of the intakes serves also as the main landing gear wells. While nicely detailed, only little will be seen through small apertures. Unfortunately due to the design of the wheel well doors (most are closed and open only during the transition), main landing gear struts have to be attached before closing the fuselage sides.

Edited by Sebastijan
On 12/16/2017 at 4:29 PM, VG 33 said:

Hello

I am starting the same kit next January and I am foolowing yours.

Patrick

Thanks Patrick! I hope my build will be of help to you. Dryfitting is of utmost importance with this kit - it fits rather good, but the multi-part fuselage with all the interior requires some preplanning.

yak130wip-3-XL.jpg

Although a complex multi-part breakdown of the rear fuselage, the fit is rather good but one mustn't hurry and should check the dryfit before applying any glue.

yak130wip-4-XL.jpg

Lower part of the fuselage. Some seam needing clean up but just a few sweeps with sanding stick will solve those. Biggest problem is the exhaust area which is quite tiny and there are three seams to clean up inside of it.

yak130wip-5-XL.jpg

Upper piece of the intakes attached which also serves as top fuselage and wings support. Although not given an option, one can open up auxiliary intakes and pose the aircraft as with running engines with a little bit of scratchbuilding. Pilot figures are included!

yak130wip-6-XL.jpg

Full length intakes with fan clearly visible in the depths.

Time for a little rant! Soon after Zvezda released the Yak-130 kit, Russian photo-etch company Microdesign announced PE set for the said kit. It looked awesome, full of little details and it even had (most of it to be honest) parts, to pose the aircraft with engines running, meaning closed intakes and opened auxiliary intakes and even an open APU intake. There's also a bunch of parts to equip the cockpit and the canopy. So, last night I went to dryfit the PE parts to the kit plastic parts and to my horror I realized that most of them are oversized. Instrument panels are too high and wide and so are the seatbelts. I was really excited not to use Eduard's PE prepainted parts and trying to match the PE paint, which is a lot of times quite off. Oh well, I guess I am stuck with it now. At least Eduard gives you exhaust blast area which will neatly eliminate all the nasty seams in that narrow spot.

yak130wip-7-XL.jpg 

Obviously too big PE part fort the front panel.

yak130wip-8-XL.jpg

Rear IP suffering the same PE oversize fate. Notice also the trapezoid shaped upper panel (at least 1mm too wide) and on the right of it, "up front control" panel, which goes on the center of trapezoid, and wouldn't even fit the plastic part.

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Thadeus said:

Awesome subject! Kit looks great on the sprues. Glad to see someone building it. Gotta say when I look at Your build I'm still a bit scared to start one. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Nothing you can't handle, really. Just take it slow and dryfit a bit and all should be well. It's not a hard kit to build, despite the challenging breakdown of the parts.

Finally Eduard set arrived!

yak130wip-10-XL.jpg

Cockpit parts were primed with Black primer and then a coat of RLM76 was sprayed on. The decision for this paint was made, based on the colour of Eduard's PE panels, which are wrong - they should be greenish-blue and slightly darker. So I went and searched through my stash for a paint that would be slightly paler than Eduard's parts and RLM76 seemed like a good choice.

yak130wip-11-XL.jpg

yak130wip-12-XL.jpg

Cockpit more or less completed. I was thinking of adding a wash but decided against it - when the seats will be installed, not much will be seen anyway. Seats and HUD glass plates will be added later to avoid damage during construction before the windshield and canopy are installed.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys!

These previous weeks I have been battling some kind of viral infection and the paints to use on the Yak! Here's my story of the past 14 days :D

Nice coat of primer to bind everything together - nothing special but I kinda like the almost 3D render like photo :)

yak130wip-16-XL.jpg

I have recently acquired some Mr.Paint paints that are to be used on modern RuAF camo as seen on Yak-130, as well as Su-35S, Su-30SM and several other types.

And I did a mistake - I haven't checked the paints on a scrap piece of plastic first or something similar. And here was the result:

yak130wip-17-XL.jpg

As you can see the colours are totally off. I then went into research of what could possibly have gone wrong, how I was mislead so easily and how to correct the situation.

First the misleading - aircraft are painted in a 3-tone light-blue, blue-gray and blue camo. The paints are labeled Light Blue (no brainer), Light Grey (I thought probably they meant blue-grey) and Blue (again no brainer).

And as we can see, the 'no brainers' might have not been such no-brainers after all. Light Blue is ok, Blue is actually the Blue-Grey of the camo while the Light Grey doesn't exists in the camo and we're left without the Blue paint.

So what I did was reverse the Light Grey with Blue-Grey and use one of the Blues from my paint stash to see the difference.

yak130wip-18-XL.jpg

OK, the result is much better, but here my agony begins. What are the true colours actually. Checking hundreds of photos at russianplanes.net for a clue, I was left clueless. I even began to think, that maybe there are different batches of paint, one which is more pale and the other one more vivid. I prefer the look of the later one and I started to run in circles. Looking at the model in above colours, I felt that the contrast between light blue and blue-grey is too great for the pale version anyway, while the blue-grey might go better with the more vivid light blue, I went for the later look. For the Light Blue I made a mix of Su-33 mid-Blue with some other paints and used Blue-Grey out of the bottle. Blue was another paint from my stash of Blues... Anyhow, here's how it turned out and I like it, even if it might not be totally accurate.

yak130wip-19-XL.jpg

yak130wip-20-XL.jpg

And here she is with other details painted.

yak130wip-21-XL.jpg

yak130wip-22-XL.jpg

Beautiful work. You're right about the paint schemes being confusing. I was just looking at pics online and they're all over the place as far as colors. I think the one you chose is really nice (I like blue planes). :thumbsup2:

13 hours ago, CaptainObvious said:

I think the camo colors turned out great.

Needless to say, everything is else top notch too.

I really like how the cockpit turned out. Can't believe it is 1/72.

Thank you!

4 hours ago, Mstor said:

Beautiful work. You're right about the paint schemes being confusing. I was just looking at pics online and they're all over the place as far as colors. I think the one you chose is really nice (I like blue planes). :thumbsup2:

Ha, then you can see my pain. Afterall, modelling is just interpretation of the real life subject, and here's my "view" on this matter :D

2 hours ago, kurnass77 said:

Freehand?

Nah ..... Freehand is the Yak-36, this is the Yak-130 'Mitten'....... :whistle:

Sorry! - I'll get my coat.

It's looking good Sebastijan - I've got the Zvezda kit - just waiting till it gets to the top of the pile - and Begemot's decal sheet.

Ken

PS - I'm still looking for the old Amodel Yak-130 prototype kit - it will look good next to the very different production version.

Edited by Flankerman
On ‎7‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 8:01 PM, CaptainObvious said:

I really like how the cockpit turned out. Can't believe it is 1/72.

I actually thought this was a 1/48 kit. I was impressed before, now I'm very impressed!

Nice work on the camo - I've never tackled a Russian blue job before but this makes me want to.

On 2/8/2018 at 2:54 PM, kurnass77 said:

Beautiful camo Seb!

Freehand?

Gianni

Grazie mille, Gianni!

Yes freehand airbrushing.

On 2/8/2018 at 5:27 PM, Flankerman said:

Nah ..... Freehand is the Yak-36, this is the Yak-130 'Mitten'....... :whistle:

Sorry! - I'll get my coat.

It's looking good Sebastijan - I've got the Zvezda kit - just waiting till it gets to the top of the pile - and Begemot's decal sheet.

Ken

PS - I'm still looking for the old Amodel Yak-130 prototype kit - it will look good next to the very different production version.

haha, freehanded mitten :D

I've got the Amodel kit in my stash but it's awaiting better times. It's not that different, really; apart from the frontal part that is :D

21 hours ago, K5054NZ said:

I actually thought this was a 1/48 kit. I was impressed before, now I'm very impressed!

Nice work on the camo - I've never tackled a Russian blue job before but this makes me want to.

Thanks, mate! We'll have to wait a little bit for the 1:48 kit - KittyHawk is about to release it, IIRC.

Love the blues myself :)

• 3 weeks later...

After a loooong pause, some photos of the finished decal job. Decals are very thin which is good, but they have a tendency to fold onto themselves... the biggest pain in the fool was to apply the wingwalk lines on the wings (one piece decals).

The project is currently on hold due to some really nasty situation with the model and I need to cool down a bit and think of best way to fix it. I'll explain more later ;)

1-XL.png

2-XL.png

3-XL.png