Yak-130 'Mitten' - 25/03/2018 FINISHED

On ‎24‎.‎02‎.‎2018 at 7:51 PM, Berkut said:

Hope you pull through the "situation" Seb as that looks very nice and deserves to be finished.:thumbsup:

Thanks, mate! I'll try to do my best.

On ‎24‎.‎02‎.‎2018 at 11:09 PM, kurnass77 said:

Look very nice my friend,but what happened ?Very courious...

Gianni

Gracie Gianni! Check the bottom of this post

Here it is, guys. After almost a month I managed to make small progress.

Here's what a problem was.

When I was applying gloss coat, I hold the model with my fingers on the front fuselage. Not realizing the gloss coat, despite being dry to the touch, wasn't entirely cured yet, it left finger marks in the lacquer as well as smeared red bort numbers on the nose.

27-XL.png

26-XL.png

Loosing all the will to continue working on the models, I've turned towards created paint schemes for Digital Combat Simulator (gotta remain creative, eh?) and this turned out in this month or so

Mi-8 Angola

Screen_180223_103737-X2.png

Mi-8 Yugoslav Air Force up to 1991

Screen_180228_113455-X2.png

Mi-8 - same as above but after emergency landing during the independence war in Slovenia and captured by Slovenian Territorial Defense forces.

Screen_180228_114535-X2.png

As well as Yugoslav Air Force Gazelle

Screen_180310_083001-X2.png

Which was defected to the Slovenian side by its pilots during the conflict.

Screen_180310_145645-X2.png

And I am almost finished with Gazelle's later "civilan" livery.

Anyhow, back to the Yak. Taking a few weeks off helped a bit and I am now more or less finished with weathering, final coat on and I've got a bunch of details to add to the model... But at least I finally see the light at the end of the tunnel!

yak130wip-28-XL.jpg

5 hours ago, Sebastijan said:

Thanks! Yes, MRP.

Thought I saw the bottle lurking in the corner of your photo. I have some MRP gloss but haven't tried it. How long before it was completely set? I had tried Aclad Gloss (not eh Aqua Gloss) and it took almost a week to finally cure, of course my work area is in my basement and a bit on the cool side (temp wise ;-). Been using Tamiya gloss 1/2 and 1/2 with Mr Leveling Thinner and have been very pleased, but am anxious to try the MRP because of the elimination of the thinning step.

Like Mstor said, great save on the bort numbers!

As an aside, I've been a Microsoft Flight Simulator guy for a good couple of decades but the quality of those DCS choppers is beautiful, makes FSX look like an arcade game in comparison! That Gazelle is gorgeous.

On ‎21‎.‎03‎.‎2018 at 11:17 PM, kurnass77 said:

Beautiful job Seb!

So you play at DCS,my PC is not compatible,but I enjoy SF2.

Gianni

well I am playing it on 9 year old PC, but I did upgrade my graphics card and it keeps on going.

Anyhow, the project is finished!

On ‎25‎.‎03‎.‎2018 at 10:02 AM, The Madhatter said:

I'm surprised it could even take off with that load out. Great job Sebastijan - the finish you achieve on your builds is very enviable

Thanks mate!

On ‎28‎.‎03‎.‎2018 at 7:06 PM, CaptainObvious said:

The Yak is coming along nicely Sebastijan. Love the seats too.
I'm really in awe of those paint schemes for DCS. Very nice indeed.
How long does it take for you to do one of those?

All finished by now ;)

As for the DCS skins - it really depends on the complexity of the scheme and the complexity of the texture files (there are several textures files that cover the 3D model, anything from around 4 for Mi-8 and up to 11 for A-10C and even more for some others. Then there are now extra texture files with witch you can define the smoothness and reflectivity of the surface, enabling you to create really stunning effects and for example bare metal schemes) - anything from a week to several weeks.

18 hours ago, Sebastijan said:

As for the DCS skins - it really depends on the complexity of the scheme and the complexity of the texture files (there are several textures files that cover the 3D model, anything from around 4 for Mi-8 and up to 11 for A-10C and even more for some others. Then there are now extra texture files with witch you can define the smoothness and reflectivity of the surface, enabling you to create really stunning effects and for example bare metal schemes) - anything from a week to several weeks.

Several weeks?

Whoa, that sounds like more work than painting a scale model plane.

They look great. Really nice work.