ARC Discussion Forums
Sebastijan

Yak-130 'Mitten' - update 16/01/2018

Hi everyone! New project on the bench - Zvezda's 1:72 Yak-130. I wanted to build a model of this aircraft since I first saw it at MAKS, and luckily Zvezda fulfilled my wish.

Inspecting the instructions, one can see that the construction starts with the rear of the aircraft and it's quite complicated - at least on paper. On the other hand, the complex break down ensures the correct shapes of the full length jet intakes among other things.

yak130wip-1-XL.jpg

Double S-curvature of the intakes (vertical and lateral) is faithfully reproduced along with the turbine blades. I have only filled the front - visible part of the seam.

yak130wip-2-XL.jpg

Lower part of the intakes serves also as the main landing gear wells. While nicely detailed, only little will be seen through small apertures. Unfortunately due to the design of the wheel well doors (most are closed and open only during the transition), main landing gear struts have to be attached before closing the fuselage sides.

Edited by Sebastijan

Hello

I am starting the same kit next January and I am foolowing yours.

Patrick

On 12/16/2017 at 4:29 PM, VG 33 said:

Hello

I am starting the same kit next January and I am foolowing yours.

Patrick

Thanks Patrick! I hope my build will be of help to you. Dryfitting is of utmost importance with this kit - it fits rather good, but the multi-part fuselage with all the interior requires some preplanning.

yak130wip-3-XL.jpg

Although a complex multi-part breakdown of the rear fuselage, the fit is rather good but one mustn't hurry and should check the dryfit before applying any glue.

yak130wip-4-XL.jpg

Lower part of the fuselage. Some seam needing clean up but just a few sweeps with sanding stick will solve those. Biggest problem is the exhaust area which is quite tiny and there are three seams to clean up inside of it.

yak130wip-5-XL.jpg

Upper piece of the intakes attached which also serves as top fuselage and wings support. Although not given an option, one can open up auxiliary intakes and pose the aircraft as with running engines with a little bit of scratchbuilding. Pilot figures are included!

yak130wip-6-XL.jpg

Full length intakes with fan clearly visible in the depths.

Time for a little rant! Soon after Zvezda released the Yak-130 kit, Russian photo-etch company Microdesign announced PE set for the said kit. It looked awesome, full of little details and it even had (most of it to be honest) parts, to pose the aircraft with engines running, meaning closed intakes and opened auxiliary intakes and even an open APU intake. There's also a bunch of parts to equip the cockpit and the canopy. So, last night I went to dryfit the PE parts to the kit plastic parts and to my horror I realized that most of them are oversized. Instrument panels are too high and wide and so are the seatbelts. I was really excited not to use Eduard's PE prepainted parts and trying to match the PE paint, which is a lot of times quite off. Oh well, I guess I am stuck with it now. At least Eduard gives you exhaust blast area which will neatly eliminate all the nasty seams in that narrow spot.

yak130wip-7-XL.jpg 

Obviously too big PE part fort the front panel.

yak130wip-8-XL.jpg

Rear IP suffering the same PE oversize fate. Notice also the trapezoid shaped upper panel (at least 1mm too wide) and on the right of it, "up front control" panel, which goes on the center of trapezoid, and wouldn't even fit the plastic part.

While I am waiting for my Eduard PE set to arrive, I killed some time by finishing the ordnance.

yak130wip-9-XL.jpg

And of course my best wishes to all of you in 2018!

26063707_1835294893209188_37578487322869

Awesome subject! Kit looks great on the sprues. Glad to see someone building it. Gotta say when I look at Your build I'm still a bit scared to start one. Keeping my fingers crossed!

19 hours ago, Thadeus said:

Awesome subject! Kit looks great on the sprues. Glad to see someone building it. Gotta say when I look at Your build I'm still a bit scared to start one. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Nothing you can't handle, really. Just take it slow and dryfit a bit and all should be well. It's not a hard kit to build, despite the challenging breakdown of the parts.

Finally Eduard set arrived!

yak130wip-10-XL.jpg

Cockpit parts were primed with Black primer and then a coat of RLM76 was sprayed on. The decision for this paint was made, based on the colour of Eduard's PE panels, which are wrong - they should be greenish-blue and slightly darker. So I went and searched through my stash for a paint that would be slightly paler than Eduard's parts and RLM76 seemed like a good choice.

yak130wip-11-XL.jpg

yak130wip-12-XL.jpg

Cockpit more or less completed. I was thinking of adding a wash but decided against it - when the seats will be installed, not much will be seen anyway. Seats and HUD glass plates will be added later to avoid damage during construction before the windshield and canopy are installed.

I love it when all the sub-assemblies come together and reveal the shape of the aircraft.

yak130wip-13-XL.jpg