B-52H Ejection seat hatch plates

3 hours ago, Gator52 said:

There were some in the Cutting Edge resin conversions.  I don’t recall ever seeing a set of just the hatches. 

I used sheet styrene to replicate the hatch lifters and it turned out ok. 

Jonah

Awesome! How did you do it? Pics?

Paul

As best I recall there is a tiny bit of raised detail on the AMT hatches; I sanded that off and cut the hatch lifters from .01" styrene.  I rounded the corners off based on photos, and then added more strips of styrene to represent the parallel braces.  A rectangle cut to fit between the braces finished it off.  I think the upper hatches took 6 pieces of plastic each: the main lifter, the smaller rectangle between the braces, and 2 strips for each brace.

Same thing for the lower hatches, except I cut them to fit around the EVS fairings.

Not the best quality photos, but hopefully they illustrate the process and the finished product:

DSC00651.jpg

DSC00655.jpg

DSC01162.jpg

DSC01163.jpg

DSC01178.jpg

DSC01179.jpg

DSC01180.jpg

DSC01185.jpg

Hope this helps-

Jonah

Edited by Gator52

There are many B-52H in-flight refueling photos that show the ejection seat hatches fairly clearly. Just do a Google search for "B-52 refueling" and you should be able to find a bunch of photos to help you. I know you already bought the right sort of decals for your project - good luck!

3 hours ago, USAFsparkchaser said:

How did you do the flag in that model?

I found a set of US flags of various sizes, I believe it was by Microscale. 

I cut a piece of aluminum foil to match the size of the flag decal. I shaped the foil to fit on the glare shield, test fitting the windscreen as I went. I then painted the foil white, and then the decal went on. 

Jonah

• 4 weeks later...