Polished Aluminum Finish Question

Working on AAL and USAir jets with polished aluminum finishes and had a question about application. I plan to use Spazstick mirror chrome over tamiya black gloss coat. Is there an ideal time between application of the black gloss coat and the chrome paint? IOW do I need to apply the chrome soon after the gloss?  Also, is it better to mask and paint the light grey parts of the fuselage and tail first or is it ok to mask the chrome once cured then paint the gray?

Thank you,

What I would do is mask off where the polished aluminum is going to go, shoot the gray and then mask for the gloss black and aluminum. I only have experience with Alclad which may be weaker than Spazstick.

I think it is always better to shoot the "polished" types of finish until the very end of paint application... less chance of damaging them.

Bob

Thanks Bob. I was kind of thinking the same thing. I ordered some of the curvy tamiya tape and plan to use that around the wing body fairings. This is my first attempt using this technique. I've basically used Chrome spray paint from Lowes in the past but want to try airbrushing chrome.. Do you have a good suggestion for the gray? I know voodoo gray was the choice of the past, but it seems hard to come by these days.