Hi

i am currently working on an Airfix Boulton Paul Defiant and I have run into an issue with Vallejo paints they are not sticking to the model. That is when I peal the Tamiya tape sometimes it peals both the primer and the top coat off. Am I doing something wrong?

Did you wash the plastic to remove any chemicals that Airfix uses to assist release the parts from the mold? if there is any chemicals (and oils from your fingers) on the plastic it can cause the paint not to stick to the plastic very well.

If you washed the plastic then you are not doing anything wrong. Acrylic paint peeling when you remove masking is a big problem with acrylic paint (which is a big reason why I enamels). You could use Post-It note to mask, they are not as sticky and should reduce the chances of peeling paint.

12 hours ago, lmn052 said:

That is when I peal the Tamiya tape sometimes it peals both the primer and ...

Uhh, guys, the primer question was answered before it was asked. So it is either an issue with the primer or something else is going on.

All right, gimme a minute to look up Vallejo's paint line and see if they have a primer and what they say - I am only partially familiar with their paints.

http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/en_US

Since you didn't say the primer was a different brand than the paints which you said are Vallejo I'm drawing the conclusion their primer is the one in question

That sounds like pretty  durable stuff. http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/en_US/primers/family/22

So I'm still inclined to think something else is the root cause.

Primers for a tough and very resitant finish, formulated with acrylic polyurethane resin in a waterbased formula.
primers-17-60mlWaterbased Poliurethane Primer. This Surface Primer can be used directly or mixed with other Auxiliary products like Varnishes, Mediums, etc. It is recomended to avoid mixing Surface Primer with alcohol and/or solvents. Apply with airbrush or brush. This Surface Primer has a selflevelling matt finish of extraordinary hardness and resistence, and does not hide details. Perfect as a ground for plastic, brass, resin, etc. Surface Primer can be cleaned easily using water; for a more thorough cleaning we recomend Airbrush Cleaner (Ref.71.099).

Packaging:
In bottles of 17, 60 y 200 ml.

Aerosol Surface Primer:
Range of 3 primers, black (ref. 28012), grey (ref. 28011) and white (ref. 28010), in aerosol of 400 ml. for base coat on plastic kits and figures. Flamable. Solventbased, does not contain CFC or toluene.

10 hours ago, GW8345 said:

Did you wash the plastic to remove any chemicals that Airfix uses to assist release the parts from the mold? 

If you washed the plastic then you are not doing anything wrong.

Acrylic paint peeling when you remove masking is a big problem with acrylic paint (which is a big reason why I enamels). 

As well as washing, there are the questions of what it is being washed with and how well is it rinsed, and if using tap water, what's in the tap water.

Your mileage may vary, and apparently already is; since 1970s for Polly Scale, 1980s for Tamiya,  and whenever it was Testors Acryl came out, I've been using acrylics on trains, planes, and spaceships, without masking peeling and have found those acrylic paints to be quite durable on plastic models even without primer.

Trying to recall if I've ever masked over Vallejo or Army Painter acrylics and can't. But I use them mostly for small stuff that those hairy sticks are the most efficient for painting.

Now, back to washing, my go to standard is those soft scrub cleansers and a very soft toothbrush.

Except not on the clear parts! :D

You also probably don't want to do that where Alclad or similar will be used as the cleanser grit gives a very fine tooth to the surface,  of I dunno,

maybe something similar to 1500 to 2000 grit sanding film. You can see it by the way it breaks up reflections on the plastic surface but the paint layer doesn't even hint at it being there.

And of course that is done before adding dog-whisker diameter details.

Which I pretty much do not do anymore anyway.

Tamiya primer IMO is the greatest primer made for styrene. I've never had it peel off even if I fail to wash the plastic. I use only acrylic paint on top of Tamiya primer and it is faultless. The primer is key with acrylics and once you use Tamiya primer you won't go back to your old ways. :cheers:

I agree . Tamiya primer all the

way . The gray is good but the white will give the finish coat a smoother finish.

I suspect that Gunze /Mr hobby is just as good but not as easy to find .

Edited by Chris L