Bell UH-1V GA-ARNG 71-20255 ( Kitty Hawk 1/48) FINISHED MAR1518

Hi everyone, this is my next project, a Bell UH-1V from the Georgia Army National Guard. I will represent UH-1V  71-20255 from the 148th Medical Company AA GA-ARNG ca.2003-4.

For the model i will use the Kitty Hawk UH-1D 1/48 kit, Werner Wings sets, Eduard photoetch, and Fireball Modelworks decals, and the rest will be scratch including the medevac interior.

The model will be a tribute to all the Pilots and Crew Chiefs of the GA-ARNG that worked with the mighty Huey.

This is the bird i will build:

Hope you all enjoy and lets start this beauty!

Rod.

RUXYRhT.jpg

Edited by salvador001

Ok guys, heres the first progress of the build. I have encountered various issues with the kit, the first one being this nasty moulding line that runs through the whole main lower fuselage section, i just had to eliminate it and redo the inspection panels that were lost during the sanding process. Hope you all enjoy. 

Rod.

s3r6RMr.jpg

WL1p8sS.jpg

HxvZSO9.jpg

Edited by salvador001

Thanks Rod!  I am going to have to check my kit in the morning for what I am sure is there now that you pointed it out!  As far as the PE on the outside, did that come with one of your sets or did you cut that out on your own?  

Nice subject! I'm working very hard not to add this kit to my stash, so I'm hoping watching you will help me avoid falling off the wagon...this time.

I'm curious about the tail boom's color variation in your image:

RUXYRh_T-extract.jpg

At first, I thought it might be intentional, but I now see it's discoloration. As the discoloration is demarcated by an apparent panel line, is there a different material or finish between the upper part and main body of the boom? Or, might that just be due to the replacement of one or more panels?

4 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Nice subject! I'm working very hard not to add this kit to my stash, so I'm hoping watching you will help me avoid falling off the wagon...this time.

I'm curious about the tail boom's color variation in your image:

RUXYRh_T-extract.jpg

At first, I thought it might be intentional, but I now see it's discoloration. As the discoloration is demarcated by an apparent panel line, is there a different material or finish between the upper part and main body of the boom? Or, might that just be due to the replacement of one or more panels?

I took the pic, as I was the crew chief on 255.  It is just dirty and faded. I think the dark part of the upper rear part of the boom is stained with exhaust, even though it had a toilet bowl. As for as the spots.  I am sure it is just grease, maybe some spot touch up paint.  

On 12/21/2017 at 1:47 AM, salvador001 said:

Ok guys, heres the first progress of the build. I have encountered various issues with the kit, the first one being this nasty moulding line that runs through the whole main lower fuselage section, i just had to eliminate it and redo the inspection panels that were lost during the sanding process. Hope you all enjoy. 

Rod.

s3r6RMr.jpg

Didn't notice that in any of the other posts, that's a bad place for a mould seam.   Nice work on the cleanup, probably worked out for the best since KH decided to make all those access panels way over scale.   Pretty sure they are just sheetmetal on the real thing, on the kit, they look to scale out to be 1/2" armor plate!  Huey Crew Chief is correct, that discoloration is just exhaust soot and some oil splatters.   Even with the toilet bowl, you still got some staining on the tail boom, just further back than normal.