FINISHED!!! Revell 1/48 B-29 finished in Bare Metal Foil

This project took 9 months and 8 sheets of Bare Metal Foil to complete. This is a large model with a 36" wingspan and weighs-in at over one pound. It is an older kit originally made by Monogram and it is loaded with engineering issues that make it a challange to build.  It is the fifth model that I have finished using BMF. The cylindrical shape of the fuselage really highlights the grain and metal finish of the BMF.  I used two colors of BMF, Matt Aluminum and Improved Chrome to add visual variety to the final finish. Following are photos of the finished model.

ynkG3Jr.jpg?1

Whwoe0Y.jpg?1

PU4CMtE.jpg?1

v2ujwZH.jpg?2

4t6Xv7S.jpg?1

ByxM3Js.jpg?1

SYlSkf9.jpg?1

tNyF8zw.jpg?1

mqNTIu1.jpg?1

65t54HP.jpg?1

gq0FERE.jpg?1

DSCN5983.JPG

There are three tricks to getting a good BMF finish:

1. The Matt Aluminum foil is too shiny (IMHO). To reduce the shine I spray the entire sheet with Simple Green cleaning spray and then immediately wipe it off. I also use Improved Chrome on a few panels for visual interest. I do not spray Simple Green on this foil

2. When BMF is first applied it has a funny pebbly looking texture. To get rid of the texture it is necessary to BURNISH REALLY HARD with paper stumps. These are compressed paper sticks and they can be found in craft stores. The harder you rub the smoother the finish will become. It is almost impossible to tear the BMF using a paper stump.

3. After burnishing, I gently rub the BMF with 0000 steel wool. Do this only once in a single pass! This will add a nice grain to the BMF. I alternate the direction of the grain to add visual interest. 

sf4vTJE.jpg?1

4 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Outstanding work!  Well worth the effort. Gives me courage to keep going on my NMF project, SNJ-5 Texan. 

That sounds like a nice project. Please post pics when finished.

9 hours ago, Bravosierra001 said:

That bad boy must have been so bright ya had to wear shades!!!! That looks really awesome. I admire your patience. Not sure if I would have enough to tackle a project like that. 

Brandon

I had to wear shades, I was blinded by the light!

I just started on my next BMF project, an older 1/48 scale Monogram B-58. How times have changed, next to the copyright mark on the inside of the wing are the words, "Made in the USA". When is the last time that you saw those words on a model? Those huge flat wings will  look awesome finished in BMF. What is really weird is the plastic is this goofy silver color with swirls in it. Very 1960's.

MCHb3o4.jpg?1

18 hours ago, Johnny_K said:

I just started on my next BMF project, an older 1/48 scale Monogram B-58. How times have changed, next to the copyright mark on the inside of the wing are the words, "Made in the USA". When is the last time that you saw those words on a model? Those huge flat wings will  look awesome finished in BMF. What is really weird is the plastic is this goofy silver color with swirls in it. Very 1960's.

MCHb3o4.jpg?1

Johnny,

Please, oh please do a build blog on the B-58. I've been promising myself to actually buy the old Boy and do the best I can on it. Why not one company has decided to kit this classic makes no sense to me. 

Made in the USA from concept to completion is just unheard of these days. I wonder just where the kit is actually molded and boxed?

Joel

Edited by Joel_W