FINISHED!!! Revell 1/48 B-29 finished in Bare Metal Foil

I love the BMF, it is VERY appropriate on this model! I do have to point out that the "USAF" logo would only be used on an aircraft that also had the stars and bars insignia with the red stripe. The USAF wasn't created until Sept. '47 and the stars and bars with the red stripe were adopted in Jan. '47. However, that does not detract from the otherwise stellar finish of your model.

Other modelers have also mentioned that to me. The decals that were included with the kit were kind of confusing. In order to save money, Revell "only" provided the national emblem without the red stripe. The decal sheet includes separate red stripes that were intended to be added to the national emblem. However, the instructions were not clear on this, so I threw out the red stripes not knowing what to do with them.

Well that is completely understandable. Some of these newer "cad" style instruction sheets are almost indecipherable and can confuse most anyone. That having been said, I have to reiterate that you did a wonderful job with the Bare Metal Foil, it looks great! 

• 2 weeks later...

A friend just brought this thread to my attention, he knows I foil.

WOW!!!

This beast is on my list and I think you pushed it up a few notches.

I applaud you for using BMF, I use  grocery store foil and Bare Metal Foil Adhesive.

Love the graining....I have yet to see a painted NMF better than foil.

Nothing looks like metal...then METAL..

Just Gorgeous!!

Jack 

Jack,

thanks so much for the nice comments. I agree with you 100%---nothing looks like metal except metal!!

I made the rivets by using a rivet tool that I purchased from RB Productions. The kit has four wheels with teeth spaced at different dimensions. 

snYngO1.jpg?1

Regarding the grain. It Is important that you lightly rub the foil with 0000 steel wool in a single stroke. Multiple strokes ruins the effect. Remember, one stroke only.

John

• 2 months later...

:worship::worship:🤯 

I admire the dedication it takes to actually complete what you just did! I actually have the same kit going with foil now, but I’m using furnace tape cause it’s a lot cheaper. I’ve picked it up and put it down 100 times. Really hard for me to keep interest long enough. And it is not an easy task. I have most of the fuselage done, have the engine cowls done but the wings are killing me. 

On 12/22/2017 at 6:05 PM, Johnny_K said:

What is really weird is the plastic is this goofy silver color with swirls in it. Very 1960's.

B-58 was a good looking airplane and an interesting one. Wish Monogram 1/48 bird had 3 opening hatches and 3 crew like Lindberg's ancient 1/64 and 1/128 kits.

Way back when I was going to get the Monogram kit until finding out it didn't have those.

Maybe everyone knows, maybe not, that those swirls give a clue to the flow of liquid plastic as it is being injected in to the mold.

A little 128 page volume which might be of interest?

40908251722_3a2166031a.jpg

It is too bad that the three crew compartments do not open. I guess that Monogram did not want to spend the money to make the two extra compartments. Interesting info regarding the color of the plastic.

10 hours ago, B-17 guy said:

:worship::worship:🤯 

I admire the dedication it takes to actually complete what you just did! I actually have the same kit going with foil now, but I’m using furnace tape cause it’s a lot cheaper. I’ve picked it up and put it down 100 times. Really hard for me to keep interest long enough. And it is not an easy task. I have most of the fuselage done, have the engine cowls done but the wings are killing me. 

It takes a lot of time to foil the wings. Foiling the top of the wings is not too bad because the center sections of the wings are painted. The underside of the wings are a real killer since they are 100% foil.