B-47 suggestions?

Wiki B-47 Units page has a pretty good list of all the B-47 units in SAC. In general, most B-47s were pretty generic.  Some had one or two horizontal or diagonal tail stripes of various colors. A few might have had a letter in a shape (e.g. square 'P') on the tail, but generally speaking, not a whole lot of color except for a few of the test birds. Speaking of test birds, most would require some type of mods, (JRB-47E, B-47E toss bombing tests, QRB-47K, CL-52).  I agree with Hooker about the Pease AFB Squadrons.  In fact, as a young child I still remember seeing B-47's come and go.  Made quite an impression on me.  However, I also agree with Ray, I'd like to see a Weather bird from any of the three weather squadrons, but preferably the 55th WRS.  My personal favorite is the RB-47H. And I agree with Jonah, I'd like to see both 1/72 and 1/144 decals, because there are plenty of Hasegawa 1/72 B-47s around and Academy just re-popped the 1/144 B-47 for ~$20, so there shouldn't be any problems with sales.  My preference would be 1/144, as I don't have the shelf space for the larger 1/72 kits.  Warbirds did release several B-47 decal sets in 1/72 covering much of the special schemes. Wolfpak released the Pease birds (100th & 509th BW(M)) in both 1/72 & 1/144, as well as B-47Es for the 303rd BW & 305th BW and a RB-47H of the 55th SRW in 1/72.  (My apologies to the baby seals.)  So there is plenty of room for more decals.  Might spur the kit and aftermarket conversion sales as well.  R/ Dutch

Edited by Dutch

As a British scale modeller I would love to see one of the Stratojets marked for the "Reflex Action" deployments of the early 60's at bases such as RAF Greenham Common and RAF Brize Norton amongst others. My fave would be B-47E 0-32415 marked as "City of Plattsburgh II" and showing the 'last three' 415 on the fin in additional large numbers. Apparently this 'last three' was unique to the 380th BW/SAW. Photo on p.143 of Lindsay Peacock's Boeing B-47 Stratojet (Osprey Air Combat).

A million years ago Super Scale International produced a decal sheet with the 1000th Boeing Statojet markings, that might be worth revisiting.

Michael

Some photos of the Boeing B-47E Stratojet 53-2385 which was on display at the former Plattsburgh AFB in 2010.

I would say all standard markings are original. The tail fin band and the 380 BMW 'apple' were probably added much later. I suspect that her name "The Pride of the Adirondacks" was also added whilst on display which is a shame, if they had been added for a retirement ceremony then maybe they would be worth considering.

Michael

B-47E53-2385sidePlattsburgh10MB

B-47E53-2385Plattsburgh10MB

B-47E53-2385finPlattsburgh10MB

B-47E53-2385badgePlattsburgh10MB

Edited by Ghostbase
Speling
2 hours ago, Ghostbase said:

Some photos of the Boeing B-47E Stratojet 53-2385 which was on display at the former Plattsburgh AFB in 2010.

I would say all standard markings are original. The tail fin band and the 380 BMW 'apple' were probably added much later. I suspect that her name "The Pride of the Adirondacks" was also added whilst on display which is a shame, if they had been added for a retirement ceremony then maybe they would be worth considering.

Michael

Could that 380BMW badge on the tail be the exact same sticker that was applied to the tails of the unit’s FB-111A’s, quite possibly applied when the unit still flew them and gate guard was being refurbished?!  While not suitable for a period-accurate B-47, a clear photo of this would help me greatly in bringing you a better FB-111 sheet!

Edited by KursadA

Kursad, Very good eyes!  I do believe that you are right.  I do know that the Plattsburgh tail band and apple were not applied to the B-47s while stationed there.  BTW, would a set of Aviation News scale plans (drawings) for the B-47 help? R/ Dutch

Yeah gotta include some of Dutch's rides:

1-2318

1-2321

There is one other, but I haven't been able to make out the tail number...Oh wait, nevermind.  Looks like 1-2318 was used for the tanker scene also

Edited by Sabre Freak

B47winner56.jpg

B47winner56crop.jpg

I think this would be neat.  But, I'm having a difficult time researching the actual wording on the logo.  "Winner 1956" is all that is obvious so far.  First line might be: something GRAND something something.  Second line might be BOMB SQD.  Third line something something.  The unit badge is the 22nd BW from March AFB.  There is no visible airframe or serial number.  If anybody has a good guess or might know where to look, I'd be glad for the help.  I have checked one source for 1956 SAC awards and it doesn't jive.  The 56 Bomb Comp went to a B-52 unit, and none of the other awards fit either.  It's a mystery.

Rick L.

Edited by Spruemeister
add image and text
  • 5 months later...

Here are a couple of 53-1905 ‘State of New Hampshire’ from 100th BW Pease AFB.

Unfortunatly this jet was lost at Plattsburgh in 1961 with 4 soles onboard, one survived.

U8yoNT.jpg

aJgfOj.jpg

Edited by Hooker169
On 1/4/2018 at 12:33 PM, Slartibartfast said:

Anything Texas.

Anything 1/144.

Speaking to market not to markings.  I have the 144 kit don’t plan on building the 72 kit. 

9 hours ago, Dutch said:

Wow! Great pics!  Date says 1956, so I assume it's the 100th BW(M).  Look at that SAC banner!  Completely different from later schemes. Too cool!

It looks like they used the same dark navy or black as the 'U.S. AIRFORCE' marking.