B-47 suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
On 12/25/2017 at 1:42 PM, Spruemeister said:

B47winner56.jpg

B47winner56crop.jpg

I think this would be neat.  But, I'm having a difficult time researching the actual wording on the logo.  "Winner 1956" is all that is obvious so far.  First line might be: something GRAND something something.  Second line might be BOMB SQD.  Third line something something.  The unit badge is the 22nd BW from March AFB.  There is no visible airframe or serial number.  If anybody has a good guess or might know where to look, I'd be glad for the help.  I have checked one source for 1956 SAC awards and it doesn't jive.  The 56 Bomb Comp went to a B-52 unit, and none of the other awards fit either.  It's a mystery.

Rick L.

I have made progress on the backstory for this aircraft.  B-47E 51-5232  22nd BW March AFB, 2/9/56.  Winner of the GE Trophy Race, Bermuda to Oklahoma City.  Has nothing to do with any SAC sponsored bombing or nav competition.  Information comes from the book "Boeing B-47 Stratojet"  Habermehl & Hopkins.  The graphic for this, the right side is thus: Winner 1956; General Electric Trophy Race; Speed Run; last line unknown.  Two photos in the book show the 1) entire right side, without the nose graphic confirming the aircraft serial on the tail and, 2) the left side of the nose with a second version of the graphic:  Winner 1956; General Electric; Speed Run; 601.187 MPH; then 5 lines of small black lettering which I believe is the crew names and ranks.  I have the crew names from a Wisconsin newspaper archive online, but now I can't find it again.  I still need good, closer photos to really confirm this and show the style of lettering.  But this is way farther than I was before.

Rick L.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a link to a b&w photo of the nose of B-47E 53-2385 "Pride of the Adirondacks" of the 380th BW(M), date unknown, but from the hair and clothes fashion, I would say late 1980s / early 1990s. It gives a close up of the crew chief name plates, etc...  I have noticed that in the 1950s, the SAC blue star band had different variations (star placement and the blue color) and widths, based on when it and what type aircraft to which it was applied.  Anyway, one more piece to a puzzle.

Edited by Dutch
On 2/16/2019 at 10:50 AM, Gilles said:

You could add the B-47 (CL-52) loaned to the RCAF for the Orenda Iroquois engine testing...  Simple markings but with the dayglo orange-red applied it was quite nice... 

That one has already been done on one of the fairly recent (?) Warbird B-47 sheets.

-Derek

9 hours ago, viking73 said:

That one has already been done on one of the fairly recent (?) Warbird B-47 sheets.

-Derek

Why would you want that sheet when the idiot used the wrong (modern) Maple Leafs in the roundels. Clearly poor research........,