This is really just a rant about the lack of an accurate 1/72 MiG-21BIS.  I've got both the Zvezda and the RV aircraft versions.  I'm not sure which is going to be easier to correct.  The Zvezda nose is wrong (not the shock cone, the fuselage).  The RV fuselage AND Canopy is wrong.  The RV had better surface detail, but the Zvezda looks like it'll be "easier" to correct shape-wise.  Lots of sanding of the nose area.  But maybe I can correct the canopy on the RV by clever painting tricks.  ARRRGGHHHH!!!!!

For the most produced jet combat aircraft in the world, there's a surprising lack of options in 1/72 for this version.  And don't bring up Eduard!  The BIS isn't even LISTED for 2018.  Ugh.

I need some vodka.

Kinda applies for the F-16 too

Hasegawa sells you both A & B variants in various disguises

Revell sells you an A fuselage with C parts but ignored MLG details

Tamiya just cover one version

Academy works on my spare parts bin

or both Mig-15 and Mig-17

Eduard FINALLY got the Mig-15 right (Hobbyboss maybe got it too but this will trigger the haters),ok it's a Czech built machine which is fine if you're doing an exported version of it and not so fine for a Soviet one,

As for the Mig-17 everynyan failed,AZ is the closest one but good luck fixing tail chord

I'm still failing to see what's wrong in Zvezda nose as everyone always says "radome this and that were more larger" but side by side pictures are hard to come by,wasted 30+ euro for its aftermarket stuff and didn't bother to touch it due RV releasing theirs and Eduard announcing their very own version that maybe will come in a year or so after Half Life 3.

My Ace Combat doctrine also dictates that I need Huckbein's Bis, a 21-93, maybe an MF, one RF, an F-13, a Lancer, a Mongol and I think a PFM just to touch all the major versions without spiraling down in that madness of subvariants and license built machines, so dear J-7 I'm sorry but as long as the internet doesn't come up with a good J-7 bible I'm leaving you out of the equation

Luigi

Well, for the Zvezda BIS, the nose should taper slightly inwards (not the shock cone, but the fuselage intake area).  The Zvezda fuselage sides are almost parallel.  Once you see it, you CAN'T unsee it.  :)  After actually holding the kit in my hand, I can see it.

As far as the MiG-15, I've been thinking about getting the HobbyBoss simply for the price.  I built up their MiG-3 (completely redid the interior) and it turned out to be a great kit.  I think the "easy" HobbyBoss kits are a nice addition to the hobby.

Forget the haters.  ;)

3 hours ago, tn_prvteye said:

And don't bring up Eduard!  The BIS isn't even LISTED for 2018.  Ugh.

And it (apparently) won't have an accurate nose either.  It'll be done like their 1/48 kits.  Seems to be a touchy subject for the company.

8 hours ago, MoFo said:

And it (apparently) won't have an accurate nose either.  It'll be done like their 1/48 kits.  Seems to be a touchy subject for the company.

The 72nd Edu bis will come only in years, if at all. Czech AF never had it so they don’t relate to it in any way, it is a burden for Edu. They only like what was flown by their own forces. This is normal after all it is a Czech company. AIrfix loves Brit subjects, Italeri some of their own just as Hasegawa. . .   This is normal!

I am happy not to work with them on the new kit (both the MF and the bis), it is a complete waste of time! They have their own ideas (and business interests)  and don’t accept any views which go against this. (kind of dictatorship but after all it is Eastern Europe)

Even the 72nd MF will be the so called “grey” version (with many features of the bis fuselage) of which there were about two dozen built for the Czechoslovak AF. While the rest of the world received thousands of the mass produced S, M, MF versions. They will make a second MF but it is too a “late” series version (they call it "early").

In real life there was a true S, M, early MF version which differed in many ways from what Edu is making. It will never be made (not in the plans) by this company.

As for the “bis”, simply no comment on this. I think I will have to dig out some old Fujimi bis kits and try to make something out of it. I know it is not a true 72 scale still . . .

Best regards

Gabor  

Well I just hope that their MF will be a good base for a Romanian Lancer,also during their "find the differences" contest on Facebook they said that one was a Czech built machine and the other one was a Soviet built one and they were going to do both of them,as for the Fujimi Bis from a topic on BM people told that you could fix it by cutting the fuselage,remove the excess,buy nose cone,stabs,tail and whatever resin fixes,maybe rescribe wing panel lines as something was different around the flap area and so on.Kinda feels a pain in the bathroom,if only Zvezda acknowledge their mishap and fixed theirs.I will hog the two Bilek Mig-21 I have for more longer especially if they don't plan to do any twoseater,hoping to get that PFM I scored from a russian seller from eVilbay soon since a good month passed and nothing has been delivered to me :-\

Luigi

Edited by Mizar
34 minutes ago, Mizar said:

. . . contest on Facebook they said that one was a Czech built machine and the other one was a Soviet built one .  .  .

The MF was NEVER built by Czech aircraft manufacturer!

I think they were speaking about the "grey", very late version. It was a very late / LAST production MF when manufacturing has already switched to bis production. Czech AF had some colourful examples from this "grey" batch, researched and decals already designed for the 48th scale kit, so they dont want to waste all this. This kit will be perfect for anyone wanting to do a Czech bird.

The Zvezda kit is a dead-end. It is a past technology design, there is simply no point in doing anything anything with it. Takeing into account the new (and excellent) technology available to Zvezda now (see the perfect quality of the latest kits), they should invest in a complete new tool kit. Dont see much chance for this, they have a full schedule. :crying: And the MiG-21 Zvezda kits available now are perfect for their markets. All the problems would be considered as "minor".  "Minor" is a phrase from Mr. Sulc but in this case perfectly applicable to the Zvezda kit.

Best regards

Gabor

All,

I am very surprised that in this thread that there was no mention of the Fujimi Family of MIG 21's.  I always thought that they Fujimi's were very accurate in shape and were very easy to assemble.  Any thoughts from you guys on the Fujimi kits?  Cheers!!

Best Regards,

Ken Bailey

(SonyKen)

2 minutes ago, SonyKen said:

All,

I am very surprised that in this thread that there was no mention of the Fujimi Family of MIG 21's.  I always thought that they Fujimi's were very accurate in shape and were very easy to assemble.  Any thoughts from you guys on the Fujimi kits?  Cheers!!

Best Regards,

Ken Bailey

(SonyKen)

I did mention the Fujimi kit somewhere above.

Back in the days when the Fujimi kit (kits) were released (was it around 1991-93) they were very nice!!!  Not all the details were captured but fortunately they made a complete line of versions, including the recon version:thumbsup2:.

The biggest problem was with the scale. It was not a true 72nd size kit. They of course made the same mistake as everyone else in late 1980's-1990's (including Eduard in 2011) in that they used the same fuselage for all versions as the one for the bis.

For a mag I did build one back then. Prepared a small resin set for myself and used the PP Aeroparts photoetch/white metal set that I have designed years earlier for the KP kit. Added from resin right bis wheels, the small bulge between the main gear bays, main air brake, missile pylons, nose cone. .  .

have to find the photos after all it has been, what it is 25 years . . .

Best regards

Gabor

thanks Gabor,anyway I'm just after overall kit accuracy, so for me if Eduard makes their own "grey" MF or a Soviet built one it will be both MF and RF with the Republic of Belka or Yuktobania decals from Ace Combat series smacked on,yet I will have to study the Lancer to see which one will make the greatest shortcut,Bis and 21-93 will be a different story together with the Mongol.

If someone wonders why I'm tinkering with kit accuracy despite the What If route I took,is just because I got fed up of those printable sheets being made only in the wrong scale so I would rather live without those decals than switching scales

Luigi

48 minutes ago, ya-gabor said:

I did mention the Fujimi kit somewhere above.

The biggest problem was with the scale. It was not a true 72nd size kit. 

How far out of scale were they?  Too big?  Too small?  By how much?

Long ago I had tha Academy Minicraft kit and I remember it measured out at about 1:66 scale, about 9% too big. 

Found it. I mean the photos of the Fujimi kit. 

Here it is in long term storage :D

Nsn1wQ0.jpg

Back in early 1990’s had to build a Fujimi MiG-21 bis for a publication. Limited time was available to get it finished for closing for press. Saved a bit of time on weathering, it was only for a publication.

izm31Be.jpg

Since most of the extras were already made, I used the PP Aeroparts sets from Tim Perry which I have originally designed for the good old KP kit. Earlier I had designed also for Tim the Russian wheel chocks also used for the kit. I don’t know if any of them are still available anywhere.

Made from resin the nose cone with all the cooling holes at its base, the right wheels for bis aircraft where made, the main air brakes base was replaced with my resin set. The airbrake itself is brass from the PP set.

Our MiG-21 bis were using the R-60’s with the dedicated rails and the R-3R with the rail to go with it. All four were homemade and cast in resin.

cr2HAGD.jpg

qidFbNY.jpg

The white metal ejection seat is from the PP set (illegal copies of this KM-1M seat are still sold today by the Czech Pavla).

s3Bi902.jpg

The Pitot protector cover was turned / cast and the tow bar built from stretched sprue.

As you can see the nose is the same as for the MF. There was no time to correct it then.

No decals were available for Hungarian birds so it was home printed / painted. The stencils were hand painted on aircraft and on missiles. Cockpit is Hungarian green colour and not the standard Russian turquois blue.

Still have few of the Fujimi kits somewhere, so could give it a try with 25 years past . . .

Best regards

Gabor