Trumpeter and Hobbyboss 2018 catalog

4 hours ago, Deino said:

Hmmm ... IMO they are not 1/18 or 1/32 but "200mm" ! Or am I wrong?

HB 2018.jpg

i also think that the 200mm is the "scale" (length) of the model.  ...if Hobby Boss is faithful to their reputation. some should be 196mm long...:rolleyes:

6 hours ago, Deino said:

Hmmm ... IMO they are not 1/18 or 1/32 but "200mm" ! Or am I wrong?

200mm is a scale used for military figures - I think it's about 1/9.

If that's the case, it's a massive kit.

8 hours ago, spejic said:

200mm is a scale used for military figures - I think it's about 1/9.

If that's the case, it's a massive kit.

In figure modelling, XXmm is (or is supposed to be) a standard, not a scale.  That standard sets the height of a standing figure from the soles of the feet to the eye-line, thus very intentionally leaving out any headgear.  So a 200mm figure should be 200mm from the soles of the feet to the to its eyes, and that should be the case whether the figure represents David or Goliath.  The standard has been bent over the years, largely I think, because modern figure makers (and modellers) are largely ignorant of the standard, so one often sees reference to "XXmm scale".  In this case, I think Trumpeter is using 200mm as a standard length, not a scale, and that each kit will be scaled to have a length of 200mm (or so).  It is rather akin to the historic "box scale" used by Revell, where kits were scaled so that they would fit in one of their standard boxes. If it is a standard length, I doubt it will find wide acceptance.  A Japanese company, NIchimo, I think, tried it with 30 cm ship models, and it didn't work for them. 

Another possibility is that  they mean 200th scale (since those kits appear on the same box as some 144th kits).   Time will tell, I guess, though with Trumpeter that could be a LONG time!

Cheers,

Tom