Southeast Asian Camouflage Paint options

For over 30 years, I have used Testors Model Master enamels for airbrushing.

Now that some of those colors are being discontinued like camouflage grey, I feel like it is time to look at alternatives.

I have heard that Model Master Camouflage grey is still available as a spray and so you can always decant it but I feel I am just putting off the inevitable.

So, with a stack of aircraft kits waiting to be built, what non-Testor paints are others using for Southeast Asia colors?

I also really like SEA camo and faced this same issue earlier this year.

The good news is that there are plenty of alternatives

In lacquer, MRP and Gunze Mr. Color have all the colors.  

If you want to try acrylics, mission models has all the colors, and AMMO of Mig has a set with all four colours.  I think Hataka paints has the colors also, but i have not tried them. 

Hope it helps.

Go with the Gunze line...either the Aqueous or their "Mr. Color" line. The Aqueous is a straight acrylic, thins excellently with plain ol' 91% rubbing alcohol. Though less toxic...ironically due to some labeling that the EPA doesn't like it is not imported into the U.S., but you can get it from overseas (I usually get it out of Taiwan through eBay). The Gunze "Mr. Color" line is a solvent based acrylic, and I use their "Mr Leveling Thinner" with it...sprays very nice and dries to a hard finish. You can get that in the U.S. and most mail order or some hobby shops.

I made the switch to acrylics a couple of years ago after using Model Master for years...I got tired of going out to the garage to shoot paint. I use the Gunze stuff and Tamiya. What I like most about it, is the ease of clean up, thinning, and most of all the ability to use an oil based wash over it for more realistic weathering...especially if you're a fan of SEA era aircraft.

Probably depends upon where you are and what they cost, but I have changed over from MM to Colourcoats Vietnam colors. Bit pricey here is U.S. at $5.50 U.S. per tin, but the pigments will let you thin them down for super spray line painting. These are the best covering and thinning paints since the old Humbrol, in my opinion.

That being said, I am an old diehard enamel painter, and rarely use acrylics. I have a life-time invested in enamels, and I know what they do and how they do it!

Your mileage may vary.

Ed

Thanks all!   This is the kind of information I was looking for.

I am interested in developing the techniques of airbrushing with acrylics, I have dabbled with Tamiya paints with no luck.

It is good to know that there is also enamel options as well.

The paint fume issue has been a problem even with a paint hood. If acrylics can reduce the fume problem, that would be a bonus.  

4 hours ago, TheRealMrEd said:

Probably depends upon where you are and what they cost, but I have changed over from MM to Colourcoats Vietnam colors. Bit pricey here is U.S. at $5.50 U.S. per tin, but the pigments will let you thin them down for super spray line painting. These are the best covering and thinning paints since the old Humbrol, in my opinion.

Colourcoats are outstanding enamels (at least the tins I bought from WEM are).  I bought a few tins of unique colors, including Bronze Green.

I still prefer Mr Color lacquers, and they do have SEA colors.

Both Mr Color and ColourCoats are solvent paints, so going out to the garage to airbrush is not an issue for me in Southern CA. I'm thinking it's different in NH...

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/28/2017 at 5:28 PM, model junky said:

I am interested in developing the techniques of airbrushing with acrylics, I have dabbled with Tamiya paints with no luck.

Tamiya acrylics are some of the easiest paints to airbrush.  What issues are you having with them?  Try thinning the paint 50% with either Tamiya X-20A thinner or Tamiya lacquer thinner and spray at 15 psi.

On 1/25/2018 at 7:14 PM, RichardL said:

Tamiya acrylics are some of the easiest paints to airbrush.  What issues are you having with them?  Try thinning the paint 50% with either Tamiya X-20A thinner or Tamiya lacquer thinner and spray at 15 psi.

At the time I experimented using Tamiya paints through the airbrush, I was using 91% alcohol as a thinner.  I had found alcohol effective as a paintbrush cleaner with these paints so I assumed it would have made a good thinning agent for airbrushing.  However, the paint was drying before it left the airbrush nozzle.  I recall then trying 70% alcohol instead but also had little success.  In addition, I experimented with different pressure settings but couldn't get desired performance.  I don't think I went as far as a 50/50 ratio since it was drying almost immediately.  What is in the X-20A thinner?  Do they sell it in larger quantities than the small paint jar size?  

Thanks!

I use Gunze self-leveling thinner in almost all of the paints that I use.  With Tamiya paint, it eliminated the drying on the airbrush tip and gave a very smooth, even finish.  It also comes in very large bottles.

HTH, Dave.

1 hour ago, model junky said:

What is in the X-20A thinner?  Do they sell it in larger quantities than the small paint jar size?  

The Tamiya X-20A thinner is designed to thin Tamiya acrylics for airbrushing.  You mix it one part paint to one part thinner.  It does come in a larger 250ml bottle.  You can get it from Scalehobbyist.com (from your neck of the woods):  Tamiya X-20A Thinner

TAM00081040_0_l.jpg

You can also use Tamiya Lacquer Thinner or Mr Leveling Thinner if you have a spray booth to extract the fumes and a good respirator.