AK Interactive and Mig Jimenez Paint Set(s).

Hello all and best of the Season,

I have been looking at these paints for a while now but can't seem to find a definitive answer as to if they are good or bad or somewhere in between:

Picture_AK554.jpg

And the Mig Jiménez paint set:

818.jpg

I know the above sets are armor related but I also know they both make similar aircraft sets. I also know paint is subjective to the individual and what works for one modeler may not for another. I have read where some folks love them, especially if you use a good primer like Tamiya, and thin them with the companies own thinner and flow enhancers. But some folks say they are far too fragile (i.e paint peels, scratches, and falls off easily). So, seeing as how ARC is my "go-to" website I trust what you folks have to say. Who has used paints like these before and what are your thoughts, opinions, suggestions etc?

Any and assistance is GREATLY appreciated!

Kindest regards,

Don.

P.S. I am a Tamiya user but mixing paints gets old and some of their late war colors are not as accurate as some newer brands such as AK and Mig.

I have tried AMMO of Mig. I agree having the right colors, in a set is very convenient. They are a little fussy to spray, but once you sort out the thinner/retarder ratio they do spray acceptably and you can get a fine line.  I used Tamiya retarder. when I tried the paint.  They also clean up very easily. Iwata Airbrush cleaner does a great job of cleaning the paint out after flushing with water.

This is what I was able to accomplish the first time trying Ammo, I did manage to get a decent color demarcation line:

2v2uMACedx9awpY.jpg

Here is a video from Mig him self which I used to get started. I found I had to use more thinner than he suggests.  

Edited by Kurt H.

Thanks Kurt! I think I might give the Mig paints a whirl seeing as how the set has everything I need already mixed. I think I will also just spring for their thinner and flow enhancer to make things easier. I would gather that Tamiya gloss and flat would work without adverse reactions?

Regards,

Don

1 hour ago, Don said:

I would gather that Tamiya gloss and flat would work without adverse reactions?

Regards,

Don

Are you talkng about the acrylic clears or the lacquer sprays? I have not tried either but i do not think they would cause problems.  As with all other things, test it first.  It would be a shame to ruin a model.

The Tamiya Acrylic clears:

61cqOMNfyNL._SY450_.jpg

I watched a YouTube video where a modeler used them over top of the Mig Acrylic paints without issue. But as you wrote, I will be testing everything on a test subject prior to the real deal (learned my lesson years ago the hard way on that one...).

Regards,

Don

This may be a little late, since it appears you planned to go with the Ammo of Mig set. I have tried sets from both companies and I've had better luck with Ammo of Mig. The AK paints are thicker, even though they say they are supposed to be airbrush ready. As with Mig, even though they too claim that they are airbrush ready, I usually add some thinner/reducer to the paint to help it flow and prevent tip-dry. I've found that the AK paints require more thinner/reducer.

One thing about the Ammo of Mig sets, they have more options available for different types of aircraft.