New House Connection Woes...Anyone know month-to-month satelite or other options?

We recently moved in to a new house.  This house has never had a connection from anyone and to bring the connection from our local box requires boring under a neighbors driveway.  We live in Indiana where the current high is 11 degrees and we're told they might be able to do this, or might have to wait until April when it's warmer.

We're looking for other options for internet.  For a couple months we can live with slower internet (no streaming, etc), but I do use it for "on-call" at work to review records over a VPN connection.  So it is important for us to have internet.  Does anyone have any thoughts or options?

We have looked in to satellite, but all the options we've found require a 2 year contract.  We've had satellite TV and don't feel we're going to love satellite internet in the long run.  We could live with this for 2-3 months as said, but don't want to got to a 2 year plan.  

AT&T or similar mobile hotspots are another thought we've had, but paying per data can get pretty expensive and we don't know what speeds to expect.  On our phones we're usually getting in the ball park of 1-2 bars of LTE reception or 3 bars of 4G (so not amazing, but not awesome).

Have any of you all experienced anything or do you have any thoughts and suggestions.  

If the house has an existing telephone land line, then DSL is an option. Might be a year-long contract though. We had Earthlink DSL, slow but usable, if you're not streaming movies.

Another option would be to ask your neighbor to piggyback on his wifi. Offer to pay part of his internet bill.

The problem would be a contract. Don't know any short term options. Call AT&T and see what they have available.

Bob in Louisville

Yeah, satellite suffers horrible latency, so you should  only consider it as a last resort. A colleague has to use it as he lives in the hills in Northern California. 

For only occasional use between now and that line getting trenched, you might look at using your phone as a hotspot. Some carriers are better than others.

1 hour ago, sierrascale said:

Another option would be to ask your neighbor to piggyback on his wifi. Offer to pay part of his internet bill.

Which may be OK under their Terms of Use. I had one ISP that was completely good with sharing; I beamed a connection across the street to neighbor. My current ISP considers sharing a violation of the Terms of Use.