Sukhoi T10 Flanker Prototype from Modelsvit

• 2 weeks later...

Time to assemble the 26 part K-36 ejection seat..... Note that there are two styles of head box - early small and later large.
You can see them both at top left (small) and bottom left (large) - they each have different side panels.
Note the seat firing handle...Number 2. Tiny and totally flashed over.

T10_036.jpg

The seat is simply stunning - but the multitude of parts are tiny - and display some flash that must be trimmed. This is not plastic modelling - it is microsurgery !!!

T10_037.jpg

I didn't read the instructions and initially used the wrong head box - and couldn't figure out why the side panels wouldn't fit.

After four attempts, I finally realised my mistake and fitted the smaller of the two head boxes - but then had to use filler to blend in the two side panels :doh:

This was entirely my fault - no reflection on Modelsvit.

T10_038.jpg

The back of the seat - all separate parts!!!

T10_039.jpg

My photos don't do it justice - it really is superb. I had to make the firing handle from foil - having ruined the plastic part trying to trim off the flash.

I don't know why Modelsvit don't include the firing handle on the etched fret ??? It would be much better in brass.

T10_040.jpg

Another badly take photo of the finished seat.

Ken

Excellent work Ken! Look forward to the progress of the project!

Just as to how good the latest Modelsvit kits? News from last week: At the Nürnberg fair the MiG-21F kit has received an award from ModellFan Best aircraft kit 2018!

If you think that this is “just” a short run kit . . .

The MiG-21 kit was the predecessor of the T-10-10 kit. Since they are improving with every new kit, there are no questions (for me) how good the Flanker kit is.

Congratulations to the Modelsvit team!!! More! More! More!

zq2SQmo.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor
  • 3 weeks later...

Just out of the paintshop.......

T10_041.jpg

T10_042.jpg

I have decided I don't like making Flanker models - too much masking!!! :bandhead2:

Mask off and paint the exhausts - then mask them, paint the radome and actuator cover, then mask, paint the silver shroud, mask....

Spray an overall coat of light blue, apply Blu-tac sausages, mask - then  spray the mid blue, unmask, apply more Blu-tac, mask and then spray the mid-grey.

I'm not good with an airbrush - so I don't enjoy this part of the build - but the end result is worth it.... eventually.

Give me a silver finish from a rattle can any day.

Ken

You might not be entirely satisfied, and i see a couple of spots that could use a touch up; But i think it looks very nice Ken.:thumbsup: Also, if you find this one frustrating, i dont recommend doing a Su-33 next. :woot.gif:

What colors did you use?

Berkut - I've done the touch-ups - and I used the AKAN Su-27 set.

I'm well impressed with the AKAN paints - both ease of use and coverage.

My Trumpeter Su-33 and Su-33UB are both stalled - 'cos I'm not happy with the AKAN colours - nor my airbrushing.

I now have SEVEN * Flankers on the go - so I might get the mojo back to go and finish them all.

Ken

Modelsvit T10, Hasegawa Su-35S (they make interesting companions - first and last Flankers)

Trumpeter Su-30MKK (as Su-30M2 with Pavel Sukhois face on fin), Trumpeter Su-34 and converted Su-27IB - plus the Su-33 and Su-33UB

On 2/24/2018 at 9:32 AM, Flankerman said:

My Trumpeter Su-33 and Su-33UB are both stalled - 'cos I'm not happy with the AKAN colours - nor my airbrushing.

Might I ask what problems you found with the AKAN colours for the Su-33? Are you using the set for the early colours or the late colours?

Thanks!

15 hours ago, Mstor said:

Are you using the set for the early colours or the late colours?

I can't remember which set I used - I gave up on the Su-33/33UB a few months ago.

I have these colours in my AKAN Su-33 paint collection...

73064/65/66

73163/64/65

But I don't know which ones I used - but the colours on my airbrushed Su-33/33UB look too stark - not helped by the too sharp edges to the pattern(my fault)

I'll take some photos of the painted models and get back to you - and maybe resurrect the two models.

Ken

Looking gorgeous...I should try akan one of these days :)

Why do you unmask between colors though? you paint the base color....mask...paint...then just add more mask for the next color and unmask when all painting is done.

Nearly there.............

This really is a stunning kit from Modelsvit..... they even include an etched-brass HUD - very small but perfectly formed...

T10_043.jpg

Also included is a rectangle of perspex for the Combiner Glass!!!! - although my shaky hands and failing eyesight weren't up to fitting it...

T10_044.jpg

Almost time to add the windscreen and canopy - then a few etched aerials and Odd Rods antenna and it will be finished.

Ken