USS Intrepid Air Wing 1961

Hello all

With my Tomcat slowly getting finished I am toying with the idea of starting a Skyray that has been in the stash for years already. Now the Tomcat will (hopefully) one day be part of a 1978 CVW-8 group of models. This brings me to the idea of having a second group...I am looking at CVG-6 (?) that as far as I know was embarked on USS Interpid in 1961. Why Intrepid...it's the only Essex carrier I have been on personally already! My Skyray will be a VF-74 bird. Now I have this picture below which I think is just super great! It shows Interpid's deck in the harbor of Genua/Italy. I can see Skyraiders, Skyhawks (B or C), Crusaders (C?) and the Skyrays. I now need more details on the squadrons that were on that mission. Any help is highly appriciated. I have a half build Tamiya Skyraider, Hasegawa's Skyhawks (B and C) and also a Crusader (E) and a Cutting Edge -C conversion in my stash already. So kit wise it looks quite good already...time is an issue though! ;-)

cheers

Uwe

b28b2f89aaf9a3c98dd0e8f25c5c8ffa.jpg

0157-02-1-1.jpg

9bffc9b4b7012438b5b6b472671fe59f--ford-a

VF-74_Intrepid.jpg

Edited by anj4de

Most of this air wing ended up going over to the USS Enterprise in 1962, while VF-74 went into Phantoms on Forrestal at the same time. Some equipment changed, as VF-33 went to F-8E Crusaders on Enterprise. I did a reference piece on the initial Enterprise air wing in FSM back in the 1990s. Don't know if there were any squadron numbers that changed, but the equipment on Enterprise was: F-4B VF-102, F-8E VF-33, A-5A VAH-7, A-1H VA-65, A-4C VA-76, A-4C VA-66, A-4C VA-64, RF-8A VFP-62 Det.65, E-1B VAW-12 Det.65, EA-1F VAW-33 Det.65, and UH-25B HU-2 Det.65. If you have it, check out FSM February 1993.

For the 1960-61 deployment of the USS Intrepid in the Med, they embarked CVG-6, consisting of VF-74 in F4D-1, VF-33 in F11F-1, VA-66 in A4D-2, VA-65 in AD-6, VA-76 in A4D-2, Det 33 from VFP-62 consisting of four F8U-1P, and Det 33 from HU-2 with a pair of HUP-3.

Chris

Uwe,

The Crusaders are VF-33 F8U-1E's (F-8B after 1962), which dates the photo to the Aug 1961-Feb 1962 cruise, the only one 33 made in that version.  As Paul pointed out, their next cruise was on the Big E in the F-8E.  The -1E/B had the same radar (and cockpit) as the -2/C, but no ventral fins and no A/B cooling scoops.  Can't see the wheels, but most likely all early types, ie spoked nose wheel and ribbed mains, but possibly some had the familiar late disc mains.  Cool photo, where did you find it?

Cheers,

Tom

PS: I should note that the Cutting Edge C conversion isn't very accurate.  The Muroc Models version, though not perfect, is much better.

Edited by Superheat
additional info

Hello Tom, Chris, Jari

Thanks a lot for the detailed answers...

So if I am going for a VF-74 Skyray then there should be no Crusader Fighters but only the Recce birds! The cruise with VF-74 was still done with F-11 Tigers...

On the Crusader cruise the Skyray sqaudron was VF-162, which decals exist for as well. Choices, choices...

On a side track...what amazes me is the number of squadrons and different types at that time and for a comparitively small carrier. Not that boring uniform Hornet load of today...;-)

cheers

Uwe

PS: @Tom...PN inbound!

I can help you with your question. There seems to be a bit of cunfusion. The Skyrays in your first photo that has the VF-33 Crusaders in it are not from VF-74. If you look closely the trim on the Skyrays is dark blue. The following is the air group assignments:

CVG-6                                                                                                            CVG-6

August 6, 1960 -  February 17,  1961                                                           August 3, 1961 - March 1, 1962

Mediterrranean                                                                                              Mediterranean

CO CVA-11 CAPT (later RADM)                                                                  CO CVA-11 CAPT (later RADM)

Edward C. Outlaw (USNA 1935)                                                                   J. Lloyd Abbot Jr. (USNA 1939)

CAG- CDR Dale C. Klahn                                                               CAG- CDR James L. Holbrook (USNA 1944)

VF-74 F4D-1 AF 1xx                                                                                VF-162 F4D-1 AF 1xx

VF-33 F11F-1 AF 2xx                                                                               VF-33 F8U-1E AF 2xx

VA-66 A4D-2 AF 3xx                                                                                VA-66 A4D-2N AF 3xx

VA-65 AD-6 AF 4xx                                                                                   VA-65 AD-6/5 AF 4xx

VA-76 A4D-2 AF 5xx                                                                                 VA-76 A4D-2 AF 5xx

VAW-12 Det. 33 WF-2 GE 7xx                                                                 VAW-12 Det. 33 WF-2 GE 7xx

VAW-33 Det. 33 AD-5Q GD 8xx                                                               VAW-33 Det. 33 AD-5Q GD 8xx

VFP-62 Det. 33 F8U-1P GA 92x                                                               VFP-62 Det. 33 F8U-1P GA-91x

HU-2 Det. 33 HUP-3 HUxx                                                                          HU-2 Det. 33 HUP-3 HU xx

If you want to do a VF-74 bird, then the squadrons in the first column would be the companion models for your Skyray. If you're set on doing a Crusader from VF-33, then you'd have to switch squadrons to get the air group assignment to match. I hope this helps you out!

Thanks a lot Chriss

I will go for the first cruise for now...since I like the VF-74 decals with teh big red USS INTERPID very much! Started looking around for a FM F-11 Tiger but those seem to be rare. The Crusader I have will be used later for a VF-162 bird...

cheers

Uwe

PS: A little side notice...I had to push the button on this one!!!  https://ms-plueth.de/detail/index/sArticle/25322

Edited by anj4de

Uwe-

Good luck on your Intrepid projects. The Intrepid has always been of interest to me as a family friend was a photographer's mate aboard her in the late 1960's - early 1970's; the CVS days. He showed me some great slides of air operations when I was a kid, and got me interested in carrier aviation more than I already was. That was before the ship was a museum, which I have been fortunate enough to visit shortly after the opening.

I'll be watching this thread with interest. 

Finding the FM F11F Tiger will be rather difficult. Someone out there may have one they aren't going to build. As maligned as that kit was, not many people want to give them up because it's really the only thing out there. You could convert the Lindberg kit (I've done it), but it takes a lot of work. The Collect Aire resin kit will get you closer, but it's very crude, very expensive, and also hard to find. Good luck with your hunt! That will make a fine display with all the aircraft types.

Hello all

Quick question on the Skyray pics...the 16440 seems to be very light in those pics. Is this de to bleaching or was the paint in the 50ties/60ties different...or is it just the pics? The almost white apperance looks very cool!

cheers

Uwe

Probably more to do with the photos. The planes were probably pretty clean at that time, too, not getting as dirty as Phantoms during Vietnam conflict. Most likely color photos of the day were taken on Kodachrome which was certainly the best color slide film ever, but variations in exposure could wash out or muddy colors.

8 hours ago, anj4de said:

Hello all

Quick question on the Skyray pics...the 16440 seems to be very light in those pics. Is this de to bleaching or was the paint in the 50ties/60ties different...or is it just the pics? The almost white apperance looks very cool!

cheers

Uwe

If you can get ahold of Mr. Color or Mr. Paint, they make phenomenal Light Gull Grays.

On 8.1.2018 at 3:08 AM, Darren Roberts said:

If you can get ahold of Mr. Color or Mr. Paint, they make phenomenal Light Gull Grays.

I use them both already...great paints! It's just that in the pictures the gull gray appears even lighter...but it may be fading or the film itself.