Will you guys ease up on the MRP buying??

5 hours ago, Vaildog said:

What’s a brother gotta do to find some light gull gray or light ghost gray in stock anywhere? Seriously why is that stuff so hard to find in stock?

It took me over 8 months of trying just to get one bottle of each. Hell I am afraid to use it now cause it is so hard to find.

Since you live in the US, getting MRP is pretty tough. Only one US stockist (Hobby World USA) and they are steadily heading downhill in stock. Most all of the popular US colors are out of stock and have been for some time. MRP better get their act together and find another vendor for USA because it's quite a shame I can't buy their product and it's one of the best paint brands out there. 

my UK supplier, MJR models and hobbies is in a constant refill mode, the shelves are always being refilled, and being re ordered.

Last time I was there 2 weeks ago the shelves were full (150 colours), and another order was being prepared as I left

Yo may want to try them, or direct from MRP ....

I looked into buying direct from MRP and other international vendors. Unfortunately, shipment to the USA is very expensive and essentially doubles the cost to about $15 a bottle. MRP, while a fantastic paint, is already one of the most expensive paint brands out there, and $15 a bottle is more than I will pay. It's good stuff, but not $15 a bottle good. 

<<<Yo may want to try them, or direct from MRP ....>>>

I am in the US, I have a small stash of MRP from when Red Star Scale models was still active.  Uschi Van Der Rosten in Germany  https://www.uschivdr.com/  carries MRP and they seem to have reasonable international shipping charges.  The next time I need MRP I will probably try Uschi Van Der Rosten . With the growing popularity of MRP I am sure someone else will pick it up eventually.

45 minutes ago, A-10 LOADER said:

I too am shocked that no other US supplier has taken this product onboard yet. HobbyWorld-USA does seem to always be out of stuff.

Steve

I think HobbyWorld tries to keep it in stock, but popular colors sell out fast after restocks. 

Red Star Scale Models also,stocked it in the US, but the website has been down since late summer and it’s been awhile since there’s been an update on Facebook. 

Not really relevant but I'm going along with ModelingBob on this, it's better than average paint but not like a 2nd coming.     I've done three projects with it, will not replace my extensive (and readily replenishable) stash of Mr Color.  I will use through the remaining ten bottles or so of MRPs I have but they won't get renewed.   your mileage may vary

Edited by metroman
On 12/30/2017 at 6:51 PM, Tecko said:

Can't you mix some up?

Just curious....

Since I got no answer to this, am I correct to say that some modelers actually paint by numbers.

What happens when you no longer have access to a specific hue, do you leave it blank.

Or do you mix some up and live in doubt about your model for evermore.

Question for the MRP users.  After watching all the reviews, I know MRP can be sprayed straight from the bottle, but do you get the best results that way.  I am asking because I am interested in trying out this paint, but initially thought that 7 bucks a bottle was a little steep.  But then I realized that it is a 30 ml bottle, whereas Mr Color is a 10 ml tin for 3.50.  I understand most people thin Mr. Color at least 50/50, so that makes it equivalent to 20 ml, and I have heard some go as much as 2/1 thinner to paint, so that means 30 ml equivalent.  Currently, I use a Paasche Talon with a .25 mm nozzle and have not sprayed either one with it. I have only sprayed Tamiya with it, but am starting to get tired of having to mix almost everything I spray.  I want to branch out in 2018, and I do not mind paying the 7 bucks a bottle, but funds are not limitless, so I want to do it in the most economical way.  Thoughts?

Edited by JesusNut
3 hours ago, Tecko said:

Just curious....

Since I got no answer to this, am I correct to say that some modelers actually paint by numbers.

What happens when you no longer have access to a specific hue, do you leave it blank.

Or do you mix some up and live in doubt about your model for evermore.

Tecko

I use the FS# that is required for that build. If a FS# is no longer available I will use the next closet one then stay away from builds that has the FS# that is no longer available. I tried mixing paints before for certain colors and have had no luck with that. I have even followed the mixing ratios recommended to get the colors I need and it didn't work out. This is just my opinion, others may have a different point of view.

50 minutes ago, JesusNut said:

Question for the MRP users.  After watching all the reviews, I know MRP can be sprayed straight from the bottle, but do you get the best results that way.  I am asking because I am interested in trying out this paint, but initially thought that 7 bucks a bottle was a little steep.  But then I realized that it is a 30 ml bottle, whereas Mr Color is a 10 ml tin for 3.50.  I understand most people thin Mr. Color at least 50/50, so that makes it equivalent to 20 ml, and I have heard some go as much as 2/1 thinner to paint, so that means 30 ml equivalent.  Currently, I use a Paasche Talon with a .25 mm nozzle and have not sprayed either one with it. I have only sprayed Tamiya with it, but am starting to get tired of having to mix almost everything I spray.  I want to branch out in 2018, and I do not mind paying the 7 bucks a bottle, but funds are not limitless, so I want to do it in the most economical way.  Thoughts?

Jesus

I am in the same boat you are in when it comes to funds and plus my skills are not that good to be wasting paint (aka funds). I have yet to use the MRP paint I have due to the lack of supply. I normally paint test panels to see if I like the brand but that is not the case with MRP. Since I only have the one set I am reluctant to paint a test panel due to not wanting to waist any till I need it!

On 12/30/2017 at 9:49 AM, A-10 LOADER said:

I too am shocked that no other US supplier has taken this product onboard yet. HobbyWorld-USA does seem to always be out of stuff.

Steve

Maybe Squadron Mail Order could stock it? :rofl:

I've stock piled some. I love the stuff. It sprays like ink. There are other players in the Lacquer paint market as well. AK's new line just arrived stateside and Tamiya will soon arrive here as well. Hataka's orange line is available and if you want Russian or Soviet colors you can order Akan Lacquer colors here as well (hint: They spray much better than the water based acrylics and have great adhesion).

2 hours ago, tosouthern66 said:

Tecko

I use the FS# that is required for that build. If a FS# is no longer available I will use the next closet one then stay away from builds that has the FS# that is no longer available. I tried mixing paints before for certain colors and have had no luck with that. I have even followed the mixing ratios recommended to get the colors I need and it didn't work out. This is just my opinion, others may have a different point of view.

Thanks for explaining.

9 hours ago, metroman said:

Not really relevant but I'm going along with ModelingBob on this, it's better than average paint but not like a 2nd coming.     I've done three projects with it, will not replace my extensive (and readily replenishable) stash of Mr Color.  I will use through the remaining ten bottles or so of MRPs I have but they won't get renewed.   your mileage may vary

I dunno man, I love how smooth it lays down, and because it need no thinning straight out of the bottle there’s no mystery  to mixing ratios.