New Airbrush Question

So after months of research I think I've narrowed my decision to an Iwata HP-CS Eclipse or the HP-CR Revolution for my first airbrush. Anyone have any final thoughts on either of these?  Looks like about $140 for the HP-CS and $95 for the Rev. My anticipated use scope is 1/144 airliners. The Eclipse looks great but one thing I'm reading is that the nozzle is smallish at .35mm. Is this something that would likely be a problem for spraying fuselages, wings, etc?

I plan on purchasing a compressor/tank for about $90 on amazon.  Thanks for feedback!

Regional or long-haul?  Also, what will you use to apply the primer and typical white base coat? If rattle cans, then a 0.35mm is fine for the other colors. If you want to airbrush a 707 or larger with a primer, white base-coat, or clear coat, a 0.35mm nozzle would feel small. I have both a 0.5mm HP-TH and a 0.3mm HP-CH; I do primer, base, and clear coats with the 0.5mm TH and then do detail work with the 0.3mm CH.

HTH

-- 

dnl

I have the HP-CS and use it all the time. The 0.35 tip is not really small in terms of model airbrushing. Small would be 0.20 for fine close up, tight in, detail work. With a 0.35 tip you can put a little bit of paint where you need it or really hose on a lot of paint.

With the HP-CS I can get good control for tight work and very good wide area coverage. I've used it with small 1/72 planes, 1/48 jets, car models etc.. It will do great gloss coats and everything in between. It is the only airbrush I use.

Bob

14 hours ago, 320 Driver said:

So after months of research I think I've narrowed my decision to an Iwata HP-CS Eclipse or the HP-CR Revolution for my first airbrush. Anyone have any final thoughts on either of these?  Looks like about $140 for the HP-CS and $95 for the Rev. My anticipated use scope is 1/144 airliners. The Eclipse looks great but one thing I'm reading is that the nozzle is smallish at .35mm. Is this something that would likely be a problem for spraying fuselages, wings, etc?

I plan on purchasing a compressor/tank for about $90 on amazon.  Thanks for feedback!

The Revolution has a very small thread on nozzle, not referring to the needle/fluid nozzle size but the actual part. It's tiny with very fine thread. It's not all that easy to clean it from the back side as the nozzle has a very narrow opening from the rear. 

The Eclipse has a very generous press fit nozzle. As mentioned previously it's much easier to clean and maintain. However, it is a brass part so over time and use it will "open" gradually. If you airbrush frequently give it a year and then compare your used nozzle to a new one, you'll likely see a difference. Performance change is so gradual you probably won't even notice a difference but it will be a larger opening than that of a new nozzle. 

As for the Revolution, I don't know if it's stainless steel or brass. If I had to guess, I'd say it's brass as well.

On 12/30/2017 at 12:11 AM, 320 Driver said:

I agree with Vern and 86sabreboy.  The eclipse is easy to clean with that compression fit nozzle. Also, don't forget, that you can get replacement parts for it to take it "up" inexpensively to .50mm if the .35mm doesn't work exactly the way you like.