Hasegawa 1/72 Macross YF-19, Non Canon Scheme

A work in progress right now, did the major painting today. This is the idea for the paint scheme:

25524551578_3375d9c44d_b.jpgpath4496-9 by J Hooper

Primed, major painting done, and I'll let it sit a day or so for everything to completely dry out before doing touch-ups and detail painting.

39364640852_ddbd8cfcd1_b.jpg26510583_10214270578140258_2075452127_o

Underside is light ghost grey, top is dark sea grey. Construction is out of the box with two exceptions:

I created a rear bulkhead behind the seat in the cockpit, and I deepened and boxed in the intakes on the top of the "leading edge root extensions"

I hope you enjoy, Cheers!

Hoops

Edited by Hoops

27660178739_bbefa3c4ef_b.jpg[/url]

39406754472_a4400f4b66_b.jpg[/url]

On 12/30/2017 at 9:01 PM, Ikon said:

I like that scheme. Very flashy. Looks like a CAG bird.

Spine was inspired by VFA-37, tails by VAW-121. I had come up with a few ideas inspired by various USN CAG birds, but this is the one I wound up liking the most. Thanks!

20 hours ago, frankycee said:

Always wanted to build one of those macross kits...how big are they vs say a 1/72 Flanker?

The YF-19 is about Super Hornet size, I've got a VF-0D that is probably bigger than a Flanker. I've got a VF-11B kit that I'm not going to build (too many kits, too little time) and I could let go for cheap if you are interested. It's probably about the same size.  - link to HLJ -

27660178999_e39b003794_z.jpg

Edited by Hoops

could let go for cheap if you are interested

Hi Hoops, I'm not sure I can build it anytime soon either...theres one on amazon.ca here in Canada for like 32$ CAD shipped, which is like 25$US...so I dont know if you wanna let it go for that...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2018-01-01 at 2:17 AM, frankycee said:

Always wanted to build one of those macross kits...how big are they vs say a 1/72 Flanker?

Depends on which one.

The VF-1 is tiny, closest thing in size I can come up with off hand is the F-5 Freedom Fighter or the Gripen. The VF-11 is a little bigger, more like an F-16 or a Legacy Hornet, except still a little shorter. Wider in the fuselage, though. (Actually the VF-11 is pretty directly comparable in size to the X-wings from Star Wars, while the VF-1 is more the size of an A-wing.)

The VF-0 is Tomcat-sized, by design - it's basically the VF-1 scaled up to Tomcat size. The VF-0D with its massive Delta wing is one of the two biggest fighters in the franchise, at least in atmospheric fit (the other is the Sv-51, which is the rival of the VF-0 in-universe and based about as much on the Su-27 as the VF-0 is on the Tomcat). 

Most of the others - the YF-19/VF-19, YF-21/VF-22, VF-25, and VF-31, are all somewhere between the Super Hornet and the Tomcat in size, trending towards skinny forward fuselages and very beefy engine nacelles. 

Of Hasegawa's kits in 1/72, the only ones I haven't touched are the Sv-51, the YF-21/VF-22, and the VF-31 kits, so I can't really say much about them.

I do not recommend the VF-1 kits or their derivatives (VF-1, VT-1, VE-1, etc) as a first Macross build - because they were the first kits made, they're very over-engineered, and the atmospheric versions have serious alignmnent issues with the engine nacelles, which are difficult to correct. The VF-0 kits are less over-engineered, but still have some flaws due to how the base design is put together. 

The VF-11, VF-19 and VF-25 kits on the other hand are fantastic, with paintable sub-assemblies that slide and lock into place so well they can be zoomed around the room before gluing them together. :)

About the only common design flaw with all of these fighters is the placement of the main landing gear, which I think is way too far aft in all cases except the VF-31, which instead has way too small landing gear.. It makes for very stable models when standing on the table, but it also makes them look like they'd have a bear of a time getting the nose off the ground on take off.