1/48 Revell F-4S Phantom

This is the first of a series of Phantoms I'm planning on building. I'll build an F-4 from each manufacturer in 1/48 scale and do a review/ranking. The Revell kit is quite old. My copyright date said 1979. The kit was released as an F-4E and an F-4J. Since the parts for a slatted wing E are in the box, I decided to make mine an F-4S. The kit is pretty basic. Instrument panels are decals and there's little to no detail in the cockpit or the wheel bays. Since it was released as an E, the nose section is too square, and the air conditioning inlets are squared off at the rear as opposed to rounded on the short nose Phantoms. Overall detail is lacking. You can look in the engine nozzles and see up to the front of the model. Needless to say this will be ranked quite low. With that said, it was still fun to build and brought back a bunch of memories from my childhood. Decals are from Furball. The build was OOB with the exception of Steel Beach intake plugs.

dsc-0021_1_orig.jpg

dsc-0022_1_orig.jpg

dsc-0023_1_orig.jpg

dsc-0024_1_orig.jpg

dsc-0029_1_orig.jpg

dsc-0030_1_orig.jpg

dsc-0031_1_orig.jpg

dsc-0032_1_orig.jpg

• 2 months later...

Great job Darren on an old beast! You've inspired me to do a Nostalgia build. Which intake plugs did you use? For Revell, Hasegawa, or Academy? Also, could use some Steel Beach F-4 parts like nozzles for the Monogram/Revell kits. Would greatly appreciate it!

Darren you could get a job building box top models for kit manufacturers.  Or box side model photos.  Most people want fancy box top art signed by Shigeo.  That's of course if the 2nd grade gig doesn't work out.  You seem to be getting the hang of this modeling thing. 

Rick L.