Supermarine S6B

Moved from wrong forum!

Greetings! First time posting a build here.

This is one I'm currently doing for the Seaplane GB on Britmodeler. I won't get it finished for that, but that's beside the point, aint it?:thumbsup:

dg5v9CS.jpg

The fuselage sides, along with the nacelles from a Matchbox Lancaster, also being built for the Matchbox GB on Britmodeler.

tGrJQfO.jpg

All in all, there is some nice detail on the kit. The one thing it is really lacking is a good cockpit, so I'll be scratching that. Unfortunately, the designers felt the need to use ridged outlines to 'help' the modeler place the decals, and those had to go!

The outline for the '7' decal has been sanded off from the sides, and the impressions for the decals on the fin have been filled in with super glue.

ubpY0d5.jpg

Now, all sanded and the engraved lines for the rudder were redone.

EULFZkY.jpg

On the wings, I sanded down the raised lines and then engraved new ones along the same areas. Then was told that was probably wrong, and then promptly filled them back in...:rolleyes:

This is before...

KK6fjvl.jpg

Then I moved onto the nacelle bulges, which are very prominent on the S6 series. I wanted to do open the exhausts and do some detail inside, so I cut out each one. I also sanded down the detail that looked like it didn't belong. I also opened up the three vent holes on the sides, that should be facing to the rear rather than to the front. There are three more on top that were also opened up.

IO1nnuF.jpg

Xh3aC40.jpg

The two holes at the back are where the wing rig lines go into the nacelle.

Now, I need to make the covers that go over the holes. For that, I'm using heated spru that will be pressed through the holes, then cut and sanded down.

eD5bILt.jpg1A4nBRL.jpg

If I ever do that again, I'll use a surrogate hole, for the heat did warp the plastic a bit... But, they are all in place!

Pwuf4b5.jpg

They do look a little messy, but I'll be cleaning that up.

ph0D1J4.jpg

Then I couldn't get the holes squared up enough for me, so I cut them out and replaced them with styrene strip.

5sD48ra.jpg

vWzr9cV.jpg

zZvN2SG.jpg

And after it has been trimmed up, and with the resin seat, which is for a Spitfire. Both Supermarine, so that's fitting. The pencil line is where the back will be cut from the seat, with the seat being replaced.

0RYNtu4.jpg

From there, I went inside the bulges. I have some hollow styrene rod that'll be used for the exhaust details inside. I opened the holes up further, then cut and glued two side by side. I then trimmed down the sides of those in order to help them all fit snug together, and even thinned the plastic between the two holes.

WdHsDj5.jpg

7GoQMXb.jpg

mTwGtMi.jpg

Dang messy in there! But, looking a lot better out here!

46lBwRf.jpg

I prepainted the pipes black, just so there wouldn't be any white sneaking up on me at the end, and then glued them onto each fuselage half.

nTbXnnf.jpg

D9ZJ4wv.jpg

87EkYFK.jpg

I blended them in with small applications of Mr. Dissolved Putty, that were then wiped off pretty quick. A few applications were needed to fill the voids, before I started to sand.

TjDH4bW.jpg

57UGntO.jpg

And, as seen from previous pics, I have been doing the cockpit as well. I fabbed in a floor and a back, and did the ribs for the sides.

lYTV07v.jpg

2q35kf7.jpg

I then did a firewall and some 'runners' on the floor, as well as the flats where the pedals will go.

Cei3HXc.jpg

And here the seat is test-fitted with the new seat cushion and having been thinned at the sides to fit in between the ribbing.

AWVzblD.jpg

I have some PE belts that will go on that, as well as some decals not used from a Tamiya F4U Corsair that will go onto the instrument panel, after the PE bezels arrive.

MjRssox.jpg

And that's where I am so far on that!

Onwards and inwards! :wave:

I got some more work done on the interior today.

The 'rudder pedals' are in place, along with their control lines. They look a lot better from up and outside the cockpit. :whistle:

The port side control cable has since come out "by design" which is good, seeing as I still need to add things!

Onwqt4a.jpg

FyYM6tx.jpg

I also started on the on the shelf above the instrument panel. The front, hinged edge of the canopy goes right over it. It's made from thin styrene with the lower curve cut from a super glue container. If I did it again, i'd just bend regular styrene, as that plastic is hard to sand and clean up. it tends to bur.

niQBr6C.jpg

And the next are it being test fitted and 'adjusted.' I left the triangle of plastic at the top for something to grab onto.

4MTinLI.jpg

NnJSwZF.jpg

cSs8sMh.jpg

And trimmed to shape and glued to the right side.

mmG3N5b.jpgLNrvQGy.jpg

You can see a gap in the seam that doesn't completely close up at the back, but under pressure the front does pretty cleanly. Next will be making the IP, including some hosing that goes underneath it, then I have to wait for the bezels to get here, hopefully in the next few days.

I guess I could start on the floats...

I managed to do some work on this one, this time with the floats. Since I don't have a beaching dolly, she'll be sitting on her floats, and I need to add weight to keep her nose from pointing up.

So, I pressed in some Plumbers Putty into the front of the floats.

z9T9eOi.jpg

iRkjsfI.jpg

Then glued up and setting.

AW2IwjC.jpg

And finally a shot of the instrument panel, made from styrene, styrene rod, wire and PE bezels.

VrXlShp.jpg

Edited by Ikon

Slow progress still being made. Pretty sure I won't finish the GB that it's in, but that's alright.

So, I have the cockpit pretty much done, all except for paint. The seat is set as well and just needs paint and PE. Headrest also done, though I don't have any pics of that, as well as the control stick, which is just a thin, cut down nail.

zweuInK.jpg

cAn5QTk.jpg

MA23xcD.jpg

Yes, a little messy, but most of that won't be seen through the narrow opening. The seat is not glued in yet, and the dial faces still need their decals.

Hope to close this up pretty soon.

• 1 year later...

Well, it has been a while...

I was building this for a GB on Britmodeller and never finished it. Now another GB for float planes is gearing up soon, and I figured I'd get this one done before starting either the Machi MC 72 or the He-115.

So, first shot of paint for the cockpit. I'll start detail painting it later.

7ezgocd.jpg

And then I jumped to the propeller. The kit part has a small shaft that goes into a hole in the nose, but the fit is really loose, and I want to be able to keep it off until after paint. So I raided my rod stash and found one the perfect size to fit over the prop shaft.

fLccxly.jpg

It slipped on nice and snug.

JFrg7yS.jpg

Once the fuse is together, I'll enlarge the kit hole to fit the rod, keeping it removable. No spinny-spinny, but that's okay.

Then I'll need to fix the shape of the propellers. Each prop comes straight out of the spinner, and then starts to twist and I want to try and replicate that.

Model on!