ModelCollect 1/72 B-2A Stealth

Hi all

I know I have this habit of starting something and not finishing it but I know this one will see the end line as I need to have it done by Expo

I mentioned in another thread that I saw this kit on the new arrivals shelf and just had to buy it as this is one kit I said to myself I would buy in a heart beat it it was ever actually released - and there it was. All it needed was the spot light.

Even though I choked on my breakfast at the $200.00au price tag I saw this as a sign and took it home with me. This whole kit's timing is perfect because at this point in time, I was sick to death of the Testor's one I had been building as I accidentally broke off the top wing and was trying desperately to fix it back again when this new kit just happened to materialize out of the blue. I call it divine intervention at its best

Because I need a B-2A for Expo this year, I thought it best to start now - while the wife and child are away! (score another one right there boys - free man time!!!!)

So, what do you get for $199.99AU?

Looking at the sprues - for a brand new modern kit of the De-classified B-2, the detail is a little bland and maybe a bit vanilla - especially when your used to the quality of detail supplied by Zvezda or Hasegawa etc. I think even Revell could do better here. It's not at all bad - it looks the part and is a great tablet to start with for those into super detailing. Plenty of scope for wires and pipes . I'll see how I feel about it later and I may add something but for now, it's just as is. At the end of the day though - it craps all over the only alternative. At least it's not mythical ( to my knowledge - I dunno - I've never set one foot in the real one so I couldn't tell you otherwise)

You even get a colour PE fret for the instrument panels. They're not bad.

I am using the resin ejector seats I have left over from the Testors build which I'll use in this one as I already have them and it'd be a waste of money not to use them.

A big thick instruction book comes with it and it has absolutely no colour call outs what so ever. I guess they leave it up to you to decide what colour the cockpit should be. I reckon grey with red trim...

24593471757_4f75a15e91_c.jpg

27682834349_0bb095668f_c.jpg

39429702852_811f8f0297_c.jpg

39460479081_1cc366d823_c.jpg

39429661862_bb1344acf0_c.jpg

24593735937_36db40573f_c.jpg

38751799904_c53d544ae5_c.jpg

Decent set of decals, but I have the Begemot Decals as well, so will look to use those if possible

38751775854_ec5e394c43_c.jpg

38751752064_9a98a647c4_c.jpg

38581287455_2c3bbee8ca_c.jpg

38581239125_f54a8c4d91_c.jpg

39460245681_22f3637f84_c.jpg

27682611629_806c238e5c_c.jpg

I dunno - do I think it's worth $200? I feel like I have to say yes because I did just fork out $200 for a 1/72 model kit, but I guess it really depends on how much you want the subject. This came at the exact right time and it triggered every logical kill switch I had and I bought on emotion - which is probably not the wised of ideas on hind sight. Don't get me wrong - it's a really nice looking kit and I need one of these jets, so I'm going to build it and I started with the cockpit.

This is it straight out of the box:

39429400182_99846082fb_c.jpg

27683131829_da5cf9200d_c.jpg

No more pictures for now, but will update again soon

The fit feels like an eastern European type kit would. No locating tabs but really good mating surfaces. so far everything appears fine and in order. I've just finished building the engines (yes that's right: engines! some thing I had to previously make for myself but even then I still had it wrong).

It's not the greatest kit ever to be made but it's also not the worst by any stretch. I can't say for sure it's worth $200 but  so far I am thinking its worth it - especially for my interest levels. No mindless sanding, and filling and more sanding and more filling because you  didn't use enough last time. I don't have to fabricate missing details and its of a subject I have been loving for a while. Can't wait for Model Collect to release the B-1B and to a degree the B-52H (although I'm unlikely to buy that one)

Thanks for looking!

Si

Edited by The Madhatter

I could probably give you a bag of sliced up stryene and you would send back a model of a B-1 with all the trimmings. Can't wait to see what you do with this one. As for the price, don't worry about it. It's already spent!

As for the Tester's kit, keep it and build a B-2 used by John Connor's Resistance forces in a bid to bomb Skynet into oblivion!

Edited by Ikon

:popcorn:

Following with interest, I don't think I could justify AU$200 on this kit myself Si, but I will follow your build with interest. (I also have the Testors kit which will have to do me for now). No doubt you will add some of your magnificent scratch-built detail to it. I hear the weapons are lacking in the kit as well, any plans for a different load?

So is this for a club display at Expo or the comp tables? Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh this year!

18 hours ago, Loach Driver said:

I wonder how many people have been inspired by John Vojtech's B-2 model form a while back. 

https://www.umm-usa.com/mygallery/galleryB2.html

One of the finest 1/72 models I have ever seen! Good luck with your build. It looks like a great kit.

LD.

I would dare say that most people who have ever Googled "1/72 B-2 model" would have undoubtedly come across his art work and thought to themselves "Yeah - I reckon  I could have a go at that". Then they get the reality in the form of the Testors pretend kit in the mail, see what it's actually like, and then sell it again on eBay for stupid money.

I won't lie, I am half of that description (the first half). My difference is that I had a real go at it and TBH, I found it not as bad as it's described on online. Sure, it took a while to get the wings roots right but I did get there. Upon dry fitting this kit, there is a potential for this one to also need filler. PPP will be the gunk of choice here I think. Anyway, we'll see at the time. May not even need it yet. Who knows?

Took a few pics of the almost done cockpit. The colours will be wrong no doubt. I just went with the closest paint I had on hand to the PE colour. MC have done me no favors here and the overall worth of price tag has dropped considerably but it cost me a shed load of money so I will finish it.

The pipe work at the rear is fictitious. I just wanted to add detail for the sake of it. I can hear the tuts now... but I don't mind.

The hue of the pictures doesn't help stop making it so blue.

38694207045_581c649c9e_c.jpg

27736163739_89f373ec70_c.jpg

Engines are done and installed. Here is one place a detailer could really go to town if they wanted.

25641890018_a448a4467e_c.jpg

38882067004_13ed60010f_c.jpg

39561216432_79ffa5f880_c.jpg

39590207371_23657b4bc9_c.jpg

27813557799_b90146c554_c.jpg

Anyways, that's it, but as always, thanks for looking in

Si

thanks guys :cheers:

Don't worry Ray - neither am I :thumbsup:

I've always thought this was a pretty darned cool aircraft and after being even more sucked into it by John Vojtech's efforts. I'll never have one as good as that one but at least I'll have a decent representation of one without having to go through the massive clean up of the Testors kit

On 1/8/2018 at 5:59 AM, Loach Driver said:

I wonder how many people have been inspired by John Vojtech's B-2 model form a while back. 

https://www.umm-usa.com/mygallery/galleryB2.html

One of the finest 1/72 models I have ever seen! Good luck with your build. It looks like a great kit.

LD.

That one and his AC-130H (which has more available reference material) are unbelievable. I have seen the AC-130 at a club meeting and talked to him personally about it. Jon is a great guy and possesses savant like talent in the community.

• 1 month later...

I havent uploaded the pictures yet but i will. Its currently in black undercoat ready fir paint. I broke the front wheel strut before and have to repair it. 

I have to say that for a 200$ kit its not worth the money. I love the subject but the kit has a fair few short comings. I will also say that it is hands above the Testors attempt at it so I shouldnt complain. 

As for whether or not you should build it really depends on how much effort your prepared to spend on it. Its not as bad as people make out and its fun to scratch build missing details but it is a bit taxing on the patience

I'll add some pics soon

thanks for your interest guys. However, don't go expecting to see Vojtech quality work here. I am no where near as good as that sorry :rolleyes:

I finally managed to squeeze in some time today to upload the last set of WIP pics. I tell you, these WIP threads are becoming harder and harder to keep finding time to update.

Anyway, this is almost it since last post. It has wings on it and black undercoat, and a broken front landing strut. That piece is the worst part about this kit. It has zero support and it just sits on the top. No lugs or depressions to help keep it there. I had to drill a couple of holes in the top of the strut and use some brass rod to help. It was working well until I accidentally bashed it against the side of the work bench while moving it (and it is not small by any means). That and the Testers quality gap that arose from a builder error (I hope). Annoying but manageable

39993410484_d9872710a6_c.jpg

40703646791_83863140be_c.jpg

40660856692_2c7ec7478d_c.jpg

39993482094_0ce08717c8_c.jpg

40703723511_229b40d77f_c.jpg

38893318780_edac7acdb3_c.jpg

26831918068_6bb9e2b66b_c.jpg

40703680781_3eb0442f6c_c.jpg

39808241085_1c1fc8e294_c.jpg

39993564334_5333c01f84_c.jpg

That's all I have right now sorry. Thanks for stopping in and having a look

Si