Presenting the Shelf Queens!

This will be a bit of a different take on the standard "proposed build" thread.

Lets get some information out there as well. No obligation but it would be great for all of us to post the following:

1) The Model (as much detail as possible, some shots of the current state of completion would be great)

2) Year/Month started

3) When the project stalled and why

4) What is left to do

I started this one back in October 2015 for the Vietnam War GB.  I pretty much stopped on it once the GB ended.  Pretty much has the rest of the paint, decals, weathering and final assembly left.  It's a Fujimi kit.

IMG_20180103_225440786.jpg

Edited by Spectre711

1) - 35th scale Tamiya Tiger 1 Early Production - kit #35216 - no photos available...yet

2) - no idea when I started it but it's gotta be five years ago, at least

3) - stalled at least four years ago and I just moved onto something else.  I was building this kit because a few guys were trying to get me into armour building.

4) - in order to complete this thing, I need to weather and assemble the Fruilmodel individual link metal tracks, some further assembly, a complete paint job (three colour) and final assembly.

1/32 Tamiya Mustang with Leading Edge decals. Leaning towards 402 Winnipeg squadron.

I bought this kit at a show a couple years back, traded it to Don G, then he traded it back.  The cockpit was started beautifully. Much better then I can do. But I have had it for a year now. No idea when the cockpit was built up.

Think I might have another entry in the same condition later. Its pretty rare once I start a model that I do not finish it.

u0IftCu.jpg

Hi,

Good idea to complete some started kits.:thumbsup:

I would like to complete a Spitfire PR XI that I started in a GB here

I started it in the summer of 2016 and I last worked on it a couple of days after the GB ended when I sprayed some PRU blue onto it.

A problem that I encountered was fitting the vac-form canopy.  

So, I need to re-putty the gunports, add the vac-form canopy, complete the paintjob, add wheels and decals.

Cheers, Stefan.

Hello,

I don't have a good record of completing Group Build here on ARC (or anywhere else, for that matter...), but I'll give it a go.

I'd like to start off with the 1/72 Nostalgic Plastic Convair YF-102A. It took a lot of persistence and a prince's ransom to even get this kit, and it remained hidden for far too long. I wish someone would re-release a kit of this airplane as it is too hard to find.

The kit itself was started about three years ago. I start and stop many kits at a time and don't keep track. The kit itself is very simple; so simple in fact, that there are no instructions per se, expecting the builder to be skilled enough to figure it out. In this case I had glued in the rudimentary cockpit (with a little fiddling -- can't even remember what all at this stage). We'll just have to unmask it later, to find out what's in it!  (Wait, I've heard that somewhere...) and the chosen tailpipe (early and later are provided -- to make any of the several YF-102's), and glued the fuse together with CA. About 18 months ago, I finally got around to sanding it down a bit, and sprayed on a black primer. And that is where this group build project begins.

Among many other shelf queens, I shot a photo of just a few, the black one shown below is the one for this effort.:

2v2uTCcRLxfzdhW.jpg

Ed

Edited by TheRealMrEd
shortened

Here is my first entry in this GB. This is the model which I feel the worst about shelving

1) The Model - This is the Anigrand 1/72 C-133

2) Year/Month started - December 2013

3) When the project stalled and why  - early 2015, I made pretty quick progress getting to this stage, then I noticed the wings were warped and was not sure what to do. Then I was also concerned about the misalignment of the panel lines on the fuselage

4) What is left to do - major assembly, painting ... decals, etc

This kit was a christmas gift in 2013. I was really pleasantly surprised to get it.   The previous November My Father, Brother and I all took a trip to the Airmobility command museum in Dover Delaware. We all lived in Northern VA at the time, so it was not that far away, but it was an all day trip. This was on open aircraft day, and while I had heard of the C-133 and even seen them at other museums, I fell in love with this plane, because we could go inside it. We went up to the flight deck, and behind the cockpit there are a few passenger seats.  In side the plane, they have a usaf police car and a fire engine. This is a big plane, and I would argue the progentitor of the modern heavy airlifter. When I got this kit, I got right to work.  I got the fuselage together pretty quickly:

2v2J3BLcox9awpY.jpg

There are four sections to the fuselage. This required a lot of parts clean up, I used hot water to deal with warped parts. Lots of putty, sand, repeat.

It was going well until I put the wings together. I noticed the parts were slightly warped, but I thought gluing parts together would sort it out....

2v2J3BCiex9awpY.jpg

nope

it might be hard to see but the wing is curved between the engine nacelle stubs.  I am working on this, but I will go into more detail in the build thread.

I also tried several things to try to fix the engine nacelle faces ,but could not figure it out, so I shelved this one to work on other models.  I feel bad shelving any project, but this one really weighs on me. So, I will try to fix these issues and finish this model.   

Edited by Kurt H.

This GB brought me a lot of satisfaction. But also some problems. I have at least 30 kits in such a "shelf of doom" ... What to choose first?
Anyway, let's raffle one and sign up.

The model: ESCI Saab Viggen 1/48.

Time starting: 2015, I do'nt remember the month, possibly june.

The kit was left to the shelf in the same year, because my patience was lower than the ammount of work needed to finish it at that time. I Personally I give up to the rescribbing and riveting of the kit.

Now is the time to finish it!

Actual state:

4bEAzq3.jpg

8HMV5Bv.jpg

Things to do: conclude sribbing and riveting, paint, add decals, scratch the wheel struts and wheels, wheapons (Resin)and any other thing forgotted by me.

Paulo.

Ok, this is my entry:

A 1/48 A-10A Thunderbolt by Revell, a kit with raised panel-lines, but overall very nice detail.

I have no idea when it was started, because I got a it from a collegue who bought the kit, tool, glue, paints and brushes to build it. Somewhen it stalled, shortly before completion, as you can see...:

TWqrppd.jpg

I will remove the gear to make it "fly", fill up all the gaps and sand down the mis-alignments, improve the cockpit, paint the pilot and re-paint the whole Hog in the three-tone-lizzard-scheme.

HAJO

Hi,

While a bit of paint is drying on the Spitfire PR XI, I looked through some of my other stuff.

Two projects that I'd love to finish in this GB  are the P-47D from the Ground Attack GB and Maurice Longbottom's Recce Spitfire from the Recce birds Part Deux GB.

So, both models were started in August/September 2016 and nothing was done on them in 2017. In both cases work just stopped because other projects took my attention, no particular problem with the model. 

The Spitfire is almost complete, fuselage closed up and wing ready. I need to glue these parts together, add small things like elevators and landing gear, paint and add decals.

Very little has been done on the P-47, some parts have been removed from the sprues, prop blades have been painted black and the instrument panel has had the Eduard PE part added. Everything else needs to be done.

I'll start topics with current condition photos later tonight.

I also saw my F-105D with M118 bombs in the Ground Attack GB, but that is not eligible for this GB as I have been working on that in the autumn of 2017. I'll post a picture of her when she is finished, but not as an entry into this GB.

Cheers, Stefan.

My first contribution will be:

1) The Model - Airfix 1/72 E-3D converted to an E-8C using the Flightpath conversion set

2) Year/Month started - According to my first build thread it was on July 14, 2016, so one of the later additions to the Shelf

3) When the project stalled and why - I had an issue with the engines, the tailpipes had been over sanded and I was not happy with there shape/condition, then there were some poorly rescribed panel lines and seams that needed correcting. Since the last image in the second build thread, it has had a lick of paint which I was not overly happy about.

4) What is left to do - Check base colour paintwork (again), respray as required.  Finish detail painting - engines, wheels, antennas, and decal it! Maybe some weathering as well if I feel like it.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Here's another shelf queen.

It's a Fujimi 1/72 F-4K

40172406252_805902ab10_c.jpgPhantom FG1 by StefanBuysse, on Flickr

I started this model in 1994. I always intended to build her as XT859 "VL725" who appeared at the Farnborough air Show in September 1968 with the Spook character on the tail. She was also the winner of the 1969 transatlantic race.

She had nothing under the wings at Farnborough, not even the inner pylons. I clearly remember a feeling of "there is no way back" when I glued the wings together without opening any holes.

I wasn't too happy with the white I was spraying back then and put the wings away. They spent at least 15, but quite possibly 20 years in another box than the rest of the model.

Now there has been a renewed interest in the Spey-engined Phantoms and Xtradecal released a nice sheet (72-268). The Mr Spook markings look very nice on it. 

I hope my ability to spray white has improved and I really want to finish her now.

Cheers, Stefan.

It is time for me to start knocking down my pile of shame.  Since there are already several aircraft being worked I will start out with a motorcycle.

Model:  Heller 1:12 2004 Yamaha YZR-M1

Year/Month started:  I think it was in 2015. 

What is left to do:  Finish the motorcycle and build the rider.

Why the project stalled:  I was not happy with my paint job.

2004 Yamaha YZR M1 01

• 2 weeks later...

Since the motorcycle is just about done I will get back to this.

This is a resin shift knob bust from Jimmy Flintstone.

Started sometime in 2015

What is left to do:  Finish painting the bust, make  a base.

Why the project stalled:  I couldn't think of anything to use as a base and I had to finish another bust for Silly Week.

Wild Bill Kelso01

This will probably be the easiest Shelf queen to finish that is being posted in the Group Build.  It is the 1:25 scale AMT 2010 Dodge Challenger

Year/Month started:  May 2016

When the project stalled and why:  Project stalled in May of 2016 because I could not find the decals to finish it.

What is left to do:  Two decals

• 3 weeks later...

Just waiting for the epoxy to cure and Wild Bill will be done so I am starting on the next Queen.

Model:  Hasegawa 1:200 KC-10

Year/Month started:  2015ish

When the project stalled and why:  2015ish, and because I was just plain bored with it and wanted to start something else.

What is left to do:  Add the engines, finish paint and all the small details.

Els