Ernie's shelf queens... too many to list separately

Well gang.

'Been looking forward to the start of this GB.  Got a bunch of stuff I really want to get done.  It's a bit unrealistic that I'll attempt to complete all of them, but I figured I'll list everything here, and if one or two builds progress towards completion, I'll break them into their own thread.

I now present you my shelf queens (starting with most recent):

1. MPC 1/100 Titan IIIc rocket.
Originally started on October 2014 in the "Real Space Modeling" forum.  Last work done around February 2015.  I suffered lots of misalignment issues all over. tried to correct but ended up getting fed up and gave up on it.

Uucveed.jpg

2. Airfix 1/144 Vostok
Originally started on October 2014 in the "Real Space Modeling" forum... No work done since. 
I removed some fine raised details in the boosters that I couldn't repair and ended up giving up on it.

BhhgzSZ.jpg

3. Academy 1/48 Mig-21R (conversion from MF) - Czech 1922 - 47th Recce regiment.
Originally started for the Recce Group Build in 2011.  Last work done in June 2011 in the "In-Progress Pics" forum.
Upon last inspection, the resin rudder fin has warped... wandering how to fix... may have to remove, fix and re-attach resin fin.

4deC0j6.jpg

q8ITAfF.jpg

4. Eduard 1/48 Mig-21MF - Slovak 7713 - "Milka"
Started concurrenlty with the -R above.  Last work done in June 2011 in the "In-Progress Pics" forum.
Got discouraged I couldn't source a set of landing gear parallelogram PE components and work stopped.

ppCJw7M.jpg

eLHrpkf.jpg

5. Amodel 1/72 Yak-28L
Originally started for the Wings of the Red Star Group Build in 2007. Last work done in February 2009 in the "In-Progress Pics" forum.
Just tried to make too many corrections: to the canopy, airscoops, engine details and wing tips and got into trouble with some technicalities and lost interest and gave up.

Lub2NK0.jpg

a7IV8sE.jpg

6. Kora 1/72 Tsybin NM-1
Originally started back in late 2004 or early 2005. Got in trouble attaching the wing tip engine pods... work stopped and no work done since.
In late 2016, I designed and developed a 3D printed jig to assist fitting the engine pods, but idea did not work... too complex... need resort to a more basic approach.

cRI1dvg.jpg

2gAeMGD.jpg

Thanks for looking

Ernie A.

Thanks Specter,

the Migs were the first project that I used the HJmodels jig on.  It proved to be a very useful tool.  Everything I built before was using the good'ol mk. 1 eyeball, or the occasional purposed built jig such as the one in the yak picture.

I'm very exited to continue with these projects and finally get them done.

Ernie.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Stefan buysse said:

Thank you, Ernie.

Before this thread, I did not know of the existence of the HJ models jigs. My "jigs" were paint bottles and stacks of coins.

Now, I have an HJ models jig. :woo:

I must still assemble the jig, but I'm sure it will be useful for all my future models.

Cheers, Stefan.

Stefan,

That's cool!

I too bought mine after seeing another modeler use one here on ARC! 

Prior to having it I too used whatever I could find to level wings and stuff... sometimes even making one for an individual model.

It's a great tool.  I used it first with the migs and I loved it.

As you can see in the picture, I mounted mine to a piece of 3/4 in. plywood with super glue and tiny wood screws, to make it sturdy and prevent warpage.

Thanks for sharing.

Ernie A.

On ‎19‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 4:39 AM, modelmax said:

As you can see in the picture, I mounted mine to a piece of 3/4 in. plywood with super glue and tiny wood screws, to make it sturdy and prevent warpage.

Hi, Ernie.

At first, I liked the idea of a sturdy base. But then I realised that, if the jig is permanently attached to the base, you can no longer adjust the 4 screws on the bottom. I suppose you found the right amount of tension for the screws before you permanently attached the jig to the base.

I'll  take a trials period  before I attach it permanently. I'll probably use removable clamps at first.

Cheers, Stefan.  

Stefan,

I completely overlooked mentioning how I worked around the adjustment screws...  I routed slots on the base board to allow adjustment of the positionable stands.

I don't have the jig handy right now, but I'll take picture as soon as I can and I'll post it just in case you or anyone else wants to see it.

Thanks.

Ernie A.

5 hours ago, modelmax said:

In case anyone is interested, here's what the back side of the base for my JH assembly jig.

Thanks, Ernie.

Good that the slots are wider at the bottom: you have room to reach the screws from there, but the beams of the jig are still resting on the base.

Cheers, Stefan.

DUDE! Its good to see you working on these projects again. I remember when you brought both of those MiGs still in their boxes back in the days when we used to meet at the Edinburg Public Library, and that Yak as been is the same stage for as long as I've known you. Lol  I can't wait to see all of these projects finally finished!

Cheers buddy,

Xav

• 2 months later...

Thanks for reminding me to do a follow up post Spectre.

The Slovak -MF primed with Tamiya primer... which is nice and smooth and will be the base for rest of cammo.

BzzdidG.jpg

Had not noticed that the Czech -R will had multiple warped parts...  Initially I noticed that the quick boost fin had warped significantly, and I wondered about how to fix it.  I opted no to do the hot water bath technique, as it was already attached to plastic fuselage and figured it could cause more problems.. opted to use clamps (first pic) for several weeks to see if it would fix it.  the second picture shows a greatly improved part, but still too noticeable in my opinion... will have to undergo surgery, and replace with another resin part. 

LvDT6L6.jpg

uOzTh0P.jpg

Didn't notice it before, but on of the wings has warped somewhat... it was probably there before, I just didn't notice.  I again opted to place clamps for a week or two and see if shows improvement.  if it doesn't it will just have to be relegated to the spares box.

CSLZG0c.jpg

this is just such a shame because of all the work and detail sets that went into it, also I just sourced the decals for this airplane, which I never thought I'd get.

any way, hope it works out. 

thanks for watching.

Ernie A.