SU-27 S Flanker B, 5th Fighter Squadron, Ethiopian Air Force

Hello Killers!

My Mig Killer choice for this build is the Hobby Boss 1/48 SU-27 S Flanker B wearing Ethiopian Air Force markings from the 5th Fighter Squadron by Hi-Decal Line.

7EsB2jv.jpg

NXdioFu.jpg

Edited by bashace
New photo host

First order of business is deciding to fix the wing or order a new kit. Decided to save a few bucks and ordered kit from a Chinese retailer, should of ordered from Spruebrothers!

6VS7RyI.jpg

6Ew6jvn.jpg

Edited by bashace
New photo host
31 minutes ago, bashace said:

First order of business is deciding to fix the wing or order a new kit. Decided to save a few bucks and ordered kit from a Chinese retailer, should of ordered from Spruebrothers!

picture_2018_1_1_21_56_7_999_zpshqgahohd

picture_2018_1_1_21_59_7_855_zps2pthg3ja

That's gotta suck... molding issue?

1 hour ago, Bravosierra001 said:

Not sure if you know or not, bust most of us can not see photo bucket picture post now.

Brandon

Just figured that out, changed hosting to imgur, I'm not going to pay $400 so they can share my pics, ad revenue alone should cover their costs.

10 minutes ago, airmechaja said:

That's too bad about the wing.:crying:I'd be non happy!

Funny thing was...I was expecting the box to be crushed a bit, I have received very few boxes regardless of the size from China/Hong Kong that weren't crunched a bit. I ordered a new kit from Omni, they pack their stuff well, Spruebro's was out of stock on the SU-27S. 

7 hours ago, bashace said:

Just figured that out, changed hosting to imgur, I'm not going to pay $400 so they can share my pics, ad revenue alone should cover their costs.

I agree Bash. I can some buy some pretty nice kits for $400.00. I I just ordered a bunch of the AKAN paints for a Hind build, and Greek schemes. Will be interesting to see how they spray.

Brandon

7 hours ago, Bravosierra001 said:

I agree Bash. I can some buy some pretty nice kits for $400.00. I I just ordered a bunch of the AKAN paints for a Hind build, and Greek schemes. Will be interesting to see how they spray.

Brandon

AKAN paints are pretty good, work well over Tamiya spray primer. They are a bit thin compared to other Acrylics, and don't bond well to bare plastic without careful surface prep (like most Acrylics). I thin them a little with AKAN Acrylic Thinner for spraying.

interesting and unexpected subject, that wing makes me think of the Academy one... had three of their Su-27's with a wing just like that... Got them replaced, and these had the same problem... couldn't be due to packaging.. Still don't know what to do with these either...

20 minutes ago, Silenoz said:

interesting and unexpected subject, that wing makes me think of the Academy one... had three of their Su-27's with a wing just like that... Got them replaced, and these had the same problem... couldn't be due to packaging.. Still don't know what to do with these either...

Hobby Boss didn't leave any room in the box to separate the airframe from the box top, just a small crease was enough to push down on the plastic wing below it and deform it.

tovjfjA.jpg

8BLA850.jpg

Edited by bashace

Started the process of removing existing kit details in preparation for the PE, stock kit cockpit detail wasn't bad, but the PE will look better IMO displayed with an open canopy.

zFhaPRT.jpg?1

15 hours ago, Neo said:

Did you contact hobby boss with those pics ? im sure they would send you a replacement

I have not contacted HB about the issue, for the sake of saving time and hassle I just ordered a new kit from a retailer who takes great care with kit packing.

12 hours ago, Niels said:

Have you tried softening it under warm water and bending back to straight shape? 

I will give that a try, I've read that's what others have done with similar issues.

7 hours ago, Bravosierra001 said:

That is a pretty bad bend

Yeah, I don't think I can correct it without leaving behind some warp or rippling evidence, that's why I ordered a new kit. I will give it a shot though, see it as a personal challenge.