North American F-86F "Mig Mad Marine"

My first build for this group is going to be Airfix 1/72 F-86F of then Major John Glenn.

Whilst on a inter-service exchange position with the U.S.A.F's 25th FS in Korea ,  Glenn scored  3 Mig Kills He shot down his first MiG in a Dogfight on July 12, 1953, downed a second one on July 19, and a third on July 22 during an aerial engagement in which four other Sabres shot down three MiG's.

IMG_1068.jpg

Cockpit started and the exhaust  done

IMG_1069.jpg

Here is the latest on this build.

I had added about nother 5 grams of lead sinkers  into the nose of the kit just to make sure it wont be a tail sitter..(unfortunately accidently deleted the photo this morning ) .

After gluing the upper and lower wings together.. attaching the fuselage left a gap forward and rear of the wing joins. here it is after the first filling and sanding

IMG_1079.jpg

IMG_1080.jpg

Sill have another session to do to flare it all in.

IMG_1078.jpg

There was a slight gap in the upper wing join as well. bit a little application of perfect putty... and all good

IMG_1076.jpg

IMG_1077.jpg

Thanks Ron,

I have finished all the prep work for it, unfortunately it was 43 deg C here today, so no painting  has been done.

It has cooled down a bit now so I may get a shot of primer on it to confirm that this is all good for colour. 

Now weather it beats Phantom as the first build completed who knows :touche:

Edited by Aussie_superbug

Well steaming right ahead... Managed to apply a coat of primer last night before going to bed.

At least the weather has been more kind to me today... lovely 22C or 71.6F.  

Firstly I randomly chose panels to be coated with Tamiya  semi gloss black. 

IMG_1083.jpg

masking out  of random panels

IMG_1084.jpg

Next came a coat of NATO Black. once dried other panels were masked out as well

IMG_1087.jpg

then flat white was sprayed over the other exposed panels and here is the result.... a Zebra.... 

IMG_1088_1.jpg

IMG_1090.jpg

IMG_1089.jpg

Have a few touch ups to do... once i spray the Aluminium it will give some color variation 

Edited by Aussie_superbug

Well for this build I thought i would try giving Mr Metal colors a go to see how it looks. 

IMG_2185.jpg

What can I say, sprays well straight from the bottle. I had set the pressure for my airbrush around 10-15 psi 

Lightly spraying the first coat kept the colour variation, but it didn't cover well so i allowed a 15-20 min gap and gave it another light coating .

Here is the result after 2 coats, hardly any to no tonal variation left. 

IMG_2186.jpg

IMG_2187.jpg

IMG_2188.jpg

Now to let it dry before buffing up various panels, then seal it so I can paint the exhaust and the gun fairing panels.

Hi Ron.

I think if i tried sanding it down, it would that the pigment off the model and i would be back at square one again.   I had done a trial run and if you handle it too much the pigment gets all over you. 

Latest update..

Few shots after I had applied MR COLOR UV cut gloss thinned with levelling thinner at a Ratio 1: 1..... Wonderful stuff dried in 10 Min's and hard as a rock.

IMG_1098.jpg

IMG_1096.jpgIMG_1099.jpg

The weather turned very quickly yesterday afternoon.... Heavy rain & turned cool wasn't really what i had hoped for... But it meant that I could sit down and start the decaling.

IMG_1102.jpg

Forty of the buggers done still another 40 odd to go.....:doh: