So I decided to break out my 1/32 CSM after the wife got me the LEGO Saturn V.  Building the Saturn V sparked my interest in the build.  I have the New Ware exterior update and the Real Space Apollo 15 SIM bay.  My question is, should I sand off all the raised panel lines and rescribe them or should they be left on?   Any other tips on building this would be greatly appreciated.

I would leave the panel lines raised. If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, they're access panels and the edges were slightly raised. 

You also should decide on whether or not you're going to use the clear parts of the CM or paint over it. Getting that seam smooth will be ... um ... fun!

I should say, that mine has been started but it's only about 20% done ... so you may be blazing a trail here.

Plus, do a lotta research for this ... look for lotsa pix.

Pete

I recently went to JSC to see Columbia, the Apollo11 CM. I took a ton of detailed photos, especially all the panels and protrusions, many of which are missing on the kit. I will try to post a few in the future. 

9 hours ago, K2Pete said:

I would leave the panel lines raised. If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, they're access panels and the edges were slightly raised. 

You also should decide on whether or not you're going to use the clear parts of the CM or paint over it. Getting that seam smooth will be ... um ... fun!

I should say, that mine has been started but it's only about 20% done ... so you may be blazing a trail here.

Plus, do a lotta research for this ... look for lotsa pix.

Pete

Yeah, no clear panel; I'm going to paint over it.  I noticed the fit was awful when I dry fit them together.

Hey Dekon 

This model kit is an old, but is very nicely done. The detail in some parts could be better. You can build this straight outta the box and have a brilliant replica. Even with the old panel lines. I did not have the interior on my build, just the sim bay, which i thought was great. The hatch I opened, but after that you could not see much inside, unless you put in a light. 

Good luck, I hope my build link helps

http://www.arcair.com/Gal12/11501-11600/gal11553-CSM-Jack/00.shtm

Edited by ApolloMan

Hi Dekon70,

I tried that kit last year - almost ended with it in the garbage because of the seams!  I kept at it and you can have a look at it from the photos that crakerjazz took at Heritagecon last March 2017 - halfway down the tread:

I did the kit as Apollo 15 as well, but with the SIM bay closed.

Best of luck - look forward to seeing more of your build,

RET

• 6 months later...

If you're not going to retain the Clear section, just the old fashioned way to remove that seam. Fill ... File ... Sand ... and you'll do this more than once.   :doh::dontknow:

The one that got me was the seam in the radiator panels on the Service Module ... have you tackled this one already?

Pete

If you're wanting to keep the clear section, I'd recommend masking an area about 1/8" or so from the seam area and fill, sand and paint the actual seam joint. I've even seen some guys make an irregular curved pattern for the clear to give it more of a "cut-a-way" look.

Not going to keep the clear section.  Looks like what I thought, sand and fill, sand and fill.  Thanks for the help.

Pete, I have, I just carefully sanded them.  Came out OK, but they were a royal PITA.