I'll be building the Academy F-4C/D kit. This will be in the Hill Gray Scheme that she wore while with the Minnesota Air National Guard in Duluth, MN. 1989.

DSCF0001.jpg

DSCF0001.jpg

Speed Hunter Graphics decals will be used and Eduard photo etch seat belts.

DSCF000.jpg

DSCF000.jpg

Edited by airmechaja
lost image

I do. She was assigned to the 469th Tactical Fighter Squadron out of Korat A.B. ,Thailand. Capt. Mahaffey and 1LT. Shields shot down a Mig 21 with an AIM-9 on 9/12/1972.

I meant to mention but neglected to.

Dean

I've progressed a little. The wheel wells are not fun to build! Too much fiddling around. If I was to build another Academy Phantom, I would buy the jig that someone has put on the market. Sorry I don't remember who. :doh:

DSCF0004.jpg

DSCF0004.jpg

Edited by airmechaja
4 hours ago, Stefan buysse said:

Hi,

Steel Beach Accesories made the jig for the Academy wheel bays.  For the thick wing the serial number is SBA48-152.

Cheers, Stefan;

Thanks Stefan, I'll have to look for that.

4 hours ago, Stefan buysse said:

Hi,

Steel Beach Accesories made the jig for the Academy wheel bays.  For the thick wing the serial number is SBA48-152.

Cheers, Stefan;

Good info for building more Academy Phantoms.

On 1/14/2018 at 12:30 AM, airmechaja said:

I've progressed a little. The wheel wells are not fun to build! Too much fiddling around. If I was to build another Academy Phantom, I would buy the jig that someone has put on the market. Sorry I don't remember who. :doh:

DSCF0004.jpg

the right mlg looks rotated/not aligned with the aircraft long. axis to me in this shot, maybe both are but the left mlg is too far away to be determined.

I believe you are correct. The left torque links are angled a bit but not as much as the right. Both gear lock in pretty positively so it may have been twisted out of the box. I will apply a little heat as I move on and gently persuade it. :chain-gun:

12 hours ago, airmechaja said:

You are correct. I followed the directions because I didn't see a good way to install the gear after painting etc.

i did build 3 of these beasts, only possible way to put the mlg last is to cut some part from the gear struts prior to fixing, which is usually the scissors at the back which have a vertical tab, removing that usually make it a tight enough fit.

This is a shot I forgot about looking down the intake. Both intakes went together nicely. I didn't need any putty. Mounting them was again a pain. Like murad stated above they are beasts. So it goes...........

DSCF0006_JPG.jpg

DSCF0006_JPG.jpg

Edited by airmechaja

After dry fitting the forward fuselage to the wing section, it became apparent that the joint was nothing more than a butt joint and we all know how strong that is, so I installed a large tab of sheet stock for added strength.

Why Academy didn't do this is a mystery to me.

DSCF0007.jpg

DSCF0007.jpg

Edited by airmechaja