My builds for 2017

Happy New Year ARC!

2017 was a good year for me, but a job change and a move across the globe kept me away from the workbench more than I would have liked.  However, I did manage to complete 3 models this year...  a Su-30MKI from the Trumpeter kit, a Ju-88A-4 from the Revell kit, and an F-16C Block 52+ from the Academy kit, all in 1/72 scale.  Thanks for the modeling inspiration and the wealth of information, techniques, and camaraderie.  I wish you all happy modeling in 2018!!!

Todd

DSC_0065_1.jpg

DSC_0077_1.jpg

DSC_0069_4.jpg

DSC_0073_2.jpg

DSC_0071_3.jpg

DSC_0069_5.jpg

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 6:40 AM, a4s4eva said:

Cracking work all of them but the winter finish on the Ju 88 is excelllent

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 2:11 PM, Spectre711 said:

Excellent work on all of them!

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 6:18 PM, Darren Roberts said:

NOICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the compliments gents! 

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 11:00 PM, Whiskey said:

Oh wow, those are really nice. Do you have any more info/ pics on the Su-30 build?

Hi Whiskey, thanks for the compliments!  I don't have a WIP thread, but I posted some pics when I finished the model earlier last year.  Thanks for looking!

Todd

Fantastic work Todd, every one of these is awesome, particularly the Su-30MKI.  I really love how you did the stand on that one.  Where did you get the metal part, and how did you fashion it into the position you wanted?  I think I want to move to something more like that for my in-flight builds going forward.

21 hours ago, Fighting Eighty-Four said:

Fantastic work Todd, every one of these is awesome, particularly the Su-30MKI.  I really love how you did the stand on that one.  Where did you get the metal part, and how did you fashion it into the position you wanted?  I think I want to move to something more like that for my in-flight builds going forward.

Hi Fighting Eighty-Four, thanks for the compliments!  The metal portion of the stand is part of an aluminum bar I found at my local home improvement store, polished to a high shine.  Not sure what its intended purpose was, but there was a large assortment of aluminum and steel bar, rod, and tube.  I fashioned a bending jig by cutting a slot/grove for the metal bar in two pieces of ~ 3" wide wood, offset near the edge of the wood (instead of the center).  The wood holds the bar and keeps it straight, but allows it to slide when I bend the two pieces of wood.  I did a similar stand on an F-15 model I built and I've also done similar things with the aluminum rod I mentioned...

DSC_0041%202.jpgDSC_0071_5.jpg

Just an outstanding trio for the year. While I've never built a Russian aircraft as yet, your Su-30MKI is amazing. Love the stand as it adds  a great deal to the presentation.  Looking forward to your 2018 builds.

Joel

On 1/15/2018 at 3:47 PM, TBP1538 said:

Hi Fighting Eighty-Four, thanks for the compliments!  The metal portion of the stand is part of an aluminum bar I found at my local home improvement store, polished to a high shine.  Not sure what its intended purpose was, but there was a large assortment of aluminum and steel bar, rod, and tube.  I fashioned a bending jig by cutting a slot/grove for the metal bar in two pieces of ~ 3" wide wood, offset near the edge of the wood (instead of the center).  The wood holds the bar and keeps it straight, but allows it to slide when I bend the two pieces of wood.  I did a similar stand on an F-15 model I built and I've also done similar things with the aluminum rod I mentioned...

DSC_0041%202.jpgDSC_0071_5.jpg

Thanks for the info Todd, I appreciate that.  I will have to keep my eyes open for suitable metal rods.  I really like that look of that Flanker stand.

BTW, the F-15 and F-8 are also really awesome!

On 1/10/2018 at 9:29 PM, Whiskey said:

Thanks Todd, she’s a real beauty

Thanks Whiskey!!!

On 1/10/2018 at 9:29 PM, Whiskey said:

Thanks Todd, she’s a real beauty

On 1/15/2018 at 12:40 AM, scott_t said:

Awesome work Todd .....very impressive ! Love the Su-30MKI !

On 1/15/2018 at 9:15 PM, Swashplate said:

One word....STUNNING! 

On 1/15/2018 at 10:34 PM, Joel_W said:

Just an outstanding trio for the year. While I've never built a Russian aircraft as yet, your Su-30MKI is amazing. Love the stand as it adds  a great deal to the presentation.  Looking forward to your 2018 builds.

Joel

Thanks gents, I appreciate the compliments!  Joel, 2018 looks to be a busy year work wise, but I'm hopeful I'll have something to share 😁

On 1/18/2018 at 2:04 PM, Fighting Eighty-Four said:

Thanks for the info Todd, I appreciate that.  I will have to keep my eyes open for suitable metal rods.  I really like that look of that Flanker stand.

BTW, the F-15 and F-8 are also really awesome!

Happy to share! 

Todd

7 hours ago, TBP1538 said:

Thanks Whiskey!!!

Thanks gents, I appreciate the compliments!  Joel, 2018 looks to be a busy year work wise, but I'm hopeful I'll have something to share 😁

TBP1538

I hit the big 70 and I'm finally retiring from work in two more weeks. Once again they've asked me to work a few days per week.  Just might do it just so that I can figure out what day of the week it is.

Joel