"The Syracusan" P-47 C

Gentlemen,

In the process of building a P-47 C 5-RE  I have decided to use Aero Master Thunderbolts Galore VI . The markings that I would like to use is “The Syracusan” , after some research there is a question about the serial number . The decal sheet has 16530 (41-6530 ) as the number , while finding an illustration which shows 26530 (42-6530) . After several hours of research no photos available of either aircraft to confirm the serial number and name . Even searched the data base of Little Friends Database .

Thank you for any information

Wally Wallnut

according to Joe Baugher,

41-6530 was a P-47C:

6530 (MSN 636) 63rd FS [UN-J], 56th FG, 8th AF, King's Cliffe, Station 367; "Windy"; 2908th Observation Training Squadron [VM-A], 2906th Observation Training Group, 8th AF, Atcham, Station 342; Damaged 30Sep43 at Atcham; 551st Fighter Training Squadron [VM-A], 495th Fighter Training Group, 8th AF, Atcham, Station 342; Condemned 16Apr46

42-6530 was a cancelled contract:

42-6506/6580 Cancelled contract

Sean

Sean,

Thank you for all that information !  In other words , Aero Master has either misprinted the information of  41-6530  being from the 486th FS , 352nd FG  8th AF based at Bodney  !   Or at one time was 41-6530 was with 486th and then transferred to              another Group ?  The markings shown for P-47C-RE  as ( PZ - K ) from the 352nd FG ?   I guess I'm really confused now or somebody screwed up at Aero Master !!!

Thanks again !

Wallynut

Looks like it was a mistake on the decals sheet. Your plane was 41-6531

6531	(MSN 637)	486th FS [PZ-K], 352nd FG, 8th AF, Bodney, Station 141; 
					"The Syracusan"; Headquarters Squadron, 6th Fighter Wing, 8th AF, Atcham, Station 342; 
					Crash landed 24Apr43 at Atcham; 551st Fighter Training Squadron [VM-C], 495th Fighter Training Group, 
					8th AF, Atcham, Station 342; Accident 14Apr44 landing at Atcham; Salvaged May 26, 1945

Sean,

Thank you so much for clearing that up !   It makes sense that 6531 would have been downgraded after the crash landing  of 24 Apr 43 .  I did find a picture of 41-6530  P-47C 41-6530 VM-A of 551st Fighter Training Squadron as was stated in the first post .  I have try to upload the image but it will not let me since the image is 118.5 KiB .  

Thanks again , you sure are on top of your reference material !!!

Wally Wallnut

• 2 weeks later...

Alex,

That is one GREAT picture you have posted !  It looks as though it was taken only a few years ago .

Thank you so much for your contribution !  Would be nice to see more pictures like this one of other aircraft .   I'm sure they are out there in old photo albums in many attics through the the world , along with all the photos in the National Archives .

Thanks again

Wally Wallnut