Frustrating Thing: parts with no real way to attach

Something that I have noticed on a few kits.  I recently built a Hasegawa 1/48 P-38 kit.  Very nice kit but when you get to the point where you are attaching the main gear doors there is no real secure way to align and attach them.  I got them on and stuck it on the shelf.  Fast forward a few months, dusting the models and I knocked off one the doors : (  I could not get it to go back on correctly ended up making a mess out of it.  

Another kit with this same issue is the Kittyhawk F-94.  The airbrakes ( it has 2 pairs) don't have any attachment points or way to set the alignment and don't even really fit well.  Kind of frustrating that the manufacturer spends the time to give you these extra parts but drops the ball when it comes to putting them on the kit.  All most like these parts were an afterthought.  I'm sure there are other kits with this issue..

Geoff M

Yes this is one of the things that made the Tamiya F -14 so great. The gear doors were well engineered to fit be easy to attach. I don’t understand why small easily knocked off parts don’t have better attachment points.

I am usually a 1/48 scale modeler but I picked up a Tamiya P-51D in 1/32 scale and it is my current project.  I am amazed at the accuracy of the engineering.  Every part has a precise and secure attachment point.  Wish all kits were like this.  

Geoff M