1/72 Shuttle and Hubble Space Telescope

Friend's this is the main reason why I avoid forums theses days. Always you find a "wise guy", I think that this is the correct political expresion here in North America .  Sorry but in"latino america" we use other expressions. This type of people always knows everything of everything, they do the talk, but they never do the walk.  Experts in theories but that all....

En el futuro muy cercano el español

sera la segunda lengua en USA. I don't know how popular is in Texas now.

I hope that my last post was understand by some of you.  Sorry but my English is not perfect.

Keep talking in cyberspace 

Ricardo

Edited by Ricardo Salamé

umm....I think you totally misread what  slartibartfast was saying. I don't think he was trying to be wiseguy. He just noted that it looked like autocorrect made a humorous mistake in your post. It was completely harmless from what I can tell. Noone is picking on you.

Bill

Oh dear ... Ricardo, I see your point, but I agree with Bill and Slartibartfast ... his comments were not directed at you personally. Please don't let a comment like that prevent you from posting on this forum. 

Myself, I value your critical comments on my builds ... the main reason I post my build progress is to take advantage of all your various observations and knowledge and for me to make more accurate models ... not perfect mind you, just a little more accurate!

😉

... okay ... back to the build ...

So, the Ku Band antennae, I slimmed down the edge of the dish of my scratch built version but I shall use Real Space Models resin version on my shuttle. It's a little more accurate.

2v2JVeW95xAnAAS.jpg

The tweezers are pointing to a notch that shows the Rad panel is in the wrong position. So I used a little CA de-bonder to remove two panels and re-position 'em. This notch should be on the end of the door.

2v2JVeWezxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JVeWuNxAnAAS.jpg

This is Real Space Models' PE that I've had for over 15 years. It's the Payload Bay upgrade kit. I'll use his Handholds for the PB doors. You can see I've used some items previously.

2v2JVeWaMxAnAAS.jpg

The little nubs on the PE need to be filed down ...

2v2JVeWJrxAnAAS.jpg

My alignment jig is really basic, just some thick styrene scrap and some tape ...

2v2JVeWH8xAnAAS.jpg

... and almost done. The handholds will get painted with Yellow Model Master enamel and then a little First-Aid tape will be applied between the Handholds.

2v2JVeWEjxAnAAS.jpg

Thanx for looking in, gents

Pete

Hi Pete I update my Atlantis pictures folder in Flirck I hope this helps you

https://flic.kr/s/aHskAeoPfi  Sorry no good picture of the KU antenna. I have other pictures if you are looking for others detail. The antenna It's really looking better with the thinned edeges!

Look at this detail of the airlook ring that it surprise me and change my preconceptions 

Space Shuttle Atlantis  OV‑104

See the wrinkle. It's not metal.

Thanks for posting your progress 

Ricardo 

I went to see Atlantis in April, it was AWESOME !!!  Got to see a Falcon 9 launch while I was there.

I also took tons of pics but haven’t uploaded them. 

... and you didn't let us know?? ... and you didn't share your pix? ... Aw-w-w habu2, doncha love us anymore???   😉

Just a smallish update ... this fixture attaches to the bottom of the HST

2v2JVyiTGxAnAAS.jpg

As seen here ...

2v2JVyk5FxAnAAS.jpg

... my version. This HST was built as one of my first scratch builds and I'm quite surprised with it, pleasantly!

2v2JVyiPVxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JVyiAhxAnAAS.jpg

Plus I've been adding little details, here little triangles of styrene to represent a little structure on the PB sill. Looks like I need to adjust a few of 'em  😊

2v2JVyisSxAnAAS.jpg

Thanx for taking a peek!

Pete

I'm doing a lot of little details ... like this. The RMS's End Effector had a large air bubble in the joint. 

So I made a disk, by gluing in a series of styrene tubes, cutting it and sanding it and attaching it.

2v2Jh4CQCxAnAAS.jpg

2v2Jh4CKgxAnAAS.jpg

... wet sanding the disk 

2v2Jh4CAdxAnAAS.jpg

... fitting the disk

2v2Jh4CBCxAnAAS.jpg

... and gluing it on. It'll attach to the subassembly in the background.

2v2Jh4CbLxAnAAS.jpg

... the OBSS. You can see Ricardo's image in the background. Thanx Ricardo!

2v2Jh4C1WxAnAAS.jpg

... detailing the RMS shoulder. The diagonal looking rod is the hinge pin and it's just there for dry fitting purposes.

2v2Jh4CfFxAnAAS.jpg

The Orbiter's belly needs some attention too. I scraped out some of the 20 year old putty and will fill the gaps with styrene scraps.

2v2Jh4CcnxAnAAS.jpg

... to be sanded ... and filled ... and sanded some more!

2v2Jh4CpGxAnAAS.jpg

There's still a long way to go on this, but it is coming along nicely!

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

So true Manfred ... so true.

And for the last few days, all I've been doing is sanding and filling ...

2v2JLYggzxAnAAS.jpg

First coat of primer and while it looks good, there are still a few small divots ... I also want to get rid of that subtle ridge down the belly ... the belly of this beast!

2v2JLYgSNxAnAAS.jpg

After this sanding there are still a couple spots that are not responding to my sanding. When DutyCat was doing his Shuttle Wars videos, and he took out his power sander to sand down the Shuttle Belly, I thought, at the time, it was a bit of overkill. But this frustrating process is just wasting time, which fortunately, I have a lot of!  :rolleyes:

2v2JLYgG2xAnAAS.jpg

When it comes time to add surface texture to the Orbiter, I'll use First Aid Tape. Here's the 2 textures I'll use ... the one on the left will get doubled up in thickness to be a little more opaque and add a little scale thickness.

2v2JLYgqvxAnAAS.jpg

... and doubled up

2v2JLYgn3xAnAAS.jpg

There's just a little construction left to do, but it will be consuming some time ... I also ordered some orange foil from Amazon and it should be here in a couple of weeks.

Till then ... thanx for looking in!

Pete

Edited by K2Pete
  • 4 months later...

Hi Pete. Out standing job on your payload sir. Haven't seen any updates in a while and was hoping you had more photo's of you masterpiece. Am hoping to copy what you have done and add it to my new shuttle I started to work on. Like your self I am downloading the AXM paper payload bay of this and enlarge it, that is as soon as i figure out how much to increase the size to. Thanks for the outstanding work and hope to see you work in the future. Gary

Edited by garyshipwright

Thanx Gary!

I've got 3 models on the go, this one, a 1/100 Tamiya Shuttle with LDEF and a 1/24 Gemini ... unfortunately for me, my eyes aren't working too well as a result of complications from Diabetes ( I've had it for almost 30 years ) and with various treatments hope to be able to use both eyes for the close work needed in the hobby.

All these builds are staring at me every time I go down to the hobby room, and I really hope to be able to get 'em all done ... real soon!

Pete

• 5 months later...

A little late to the party, but any updates on this? I stumbled across this thread since I recently got a 1/72 Revell Space Shuttle kit and was looking to see what people had done with it and what kind of after market parts there were

What a fantastic build!

Better late than never, eh?

No more updates on this, as I'm in the process of building an Apollo spacecraft for the Group Build.

But this Shuttle and the 1/100 Shuttle are still giving me the 'stink-eye" wondering when the heck I'm gonna finish 'em!!

For some more inspiration have you seen  my Shuttle Cutaway. Aftermarket is still pretty limited but new decals, from our own Hotdog, may still be available.

Plus, some of the modellers here are producing some unbelievable 3D items for this kit.

Thanx for taking a peek blakeh1. And uh, don't be shy about showing us what you're doing!

Pete

• 9 months later...

With my other builds either completed or on ho-o-old ... I'll see if I can complete this one too ...

The belly needed some more sanding ... and one MLG door was flexing and I couldn't glue it down any more, so I removed it and replaced it with some styrene ...

2v2HbUbQVxAnAAS.jpg

2v2HbUbbhxAnAAS.jpg

Patched some gaps with styrene scraps ...  .005" thickness

2v2Jh4CpGxAnAAS.jpg

And I noticed a puncture in the OTHER MLG door. I have sanded this so much and so often that I thinned the plastic down to nothing so-o-o ...

2v2HbUbeTxAnAAS.jpg

... I cut it out ...

2v2HbUb7gxAnAAS.jpg

2v2HbUbpgxAnAAS.jpg

And filled that hole with Milliput ...

2v2HbUbRWxAnAAS.jpg

2v2HbUbtCxAnAAS.jpg

And this is after the 'final' sanding. The belly feels solid enough ... so I'm gonna start 'tiling' the Orbiter

2v2HbUbYLxAnAAS.jpg

But first, the Airlock needed to be widened a bit to fit in the Payload Bay. So I glued on a piece of square rod on both ends

2v2HbUbASxAnAAS.jpg

And that's it for now ... 

Pete

The master creates one work of art after another, Big cinema, Pete!!! cant-believe-my-eyes-smiley-emoticon.gif

I admire again and again your perseverance and even more your scratch skill for the smallest details. smiley250.gif

Edited by spaceman

Looking great as always Pete. Can't wait to see it done.

I do have a question about the airlock. I don't think I have access to the original files anyway, so I likely can't fix anything on it at this point, BUT if I were to ever redo the 3D model I'd like it to be better. The original intent was that the 4 pegs would sit in brackets that line up the edges of the payload bay (which at the time I'd try to plan a way of creating those brackets and rails) Do you think it would still be too narrow if the brackets were in place like on the real shuttle? I may never get around to redoing this but I would like to keep it in mind for the future. 

Keep up the great work!

Bill

Thanx very much Manfred ... but there's a real Master on this forum and ... it isn't me ... it's some guy named "spaceman" ... my gosh, his scratch building is the best I've ever seen!

I've learned so-o-o much from him!   :whistle:

Bill, I've made those brackets and will make little pins, for the Airlock, to fit into them ... 

One more thing, I'm also using the Real Space Models resin Payload Bay which is a bit thicker than the kit's ... so I don't know how your 3D part would fit ...

Pete

Brackets.JPG

AIrlock in place 1.JPG

Edited by K2Pete

Pete,

Looking really good so far. Amazing work on the telescope and all the scratch-building on

the Shuttle, guts and all... looking forward to seeing the end results! Between you and the

fabulous efforts by Manfred, you guys are the epitome of thinking and making it OOB.

49599975476_01e22ef32d_o.png

Thanx a lot Underdog! ... and I'm old enough to remember your avatar's cartoon show on Saturday mornings ... ah-h-h, good times!

The thrusters got sanded down ...

2v2HK92v5xAnAAS.jpg

I was getting ready to apply First-Aid tape to simulate the blankets on the wings, by sanding off the kit's raised lines, and referred back to Ricardo's photos of Atlantis at KSC.

The wings don't seem to have a textured blanket on 'em ... well, I'll be darned.

So, I think I'm gonna make decals for the wings.

And Ricardo, those pix are superb! And not one visitor, not one human being in those pix ... did you have Atlantis all to yourself??

2v2HK9ojWxAnAAS.jpg

But there will be blankets on the Tail ... they'll be laid out like this ...

2v2HK922dxAnAAS.jpg

The Payload Bay needs some attention too. The BIG gap at the forward end needs to be filled, so, I'll use strips of Grocery bag plastic with some Rubber Cement on the back.

A piece of this material is beside the Shuttle.

2v2HK92oFxAnAAS.jpg

2v2HK9oMnxAnAAS.jpg

The seam where the 2 pieces of PB resin were glued, came apart ... some of the equipment will cover this, but the fix will be easy ...

2v2HK9ozqxAnAAS.jpg

I'd like to get this done for the First contest of the season at the end o' the month, so we'll see ...

Thanx for looking in ...

Pete