1/72 Shuttle and Hubble Space Telescope

Pete wrote:

Thanx a lot Underdog! ... and I'm old enough to remember your avatar's cartoon show on Saturday mornings ... ah-h-h, good times!

Pete,

Be careful and don't give away our trade secrets, in being members of the "Old-school Club."

Indeed, they don't make cartoons like they did before!

Randy, the wire is just copper wire that I salvaged from a small motor ...

Underdog, I wrote that in code so no-one else will understand it!  :whistle:

I brushed on some paint to act as a guide for the tape ...

2v2HKKWiFxAnAAS.jpg

Placing the tape square by square ...

2v2HKKWkqxAnAAS.jpg

2v2HKKWDdxAnAAS.jpg

... will need tidying up later on ...

2v2HKKW4yxAnAAS.jpg

Starting the tiles on the front of the OMS pods ... 

2v2HKKW6oxAnAAS.jpg

After a little sanding these'll look ... just ... fine!

2v2HKKW7vxAnAAS.jpg

I need to figure out the placement of the equipment in the PB.

Additionally, the Payload Retention Mechanisms need to be situated to support the various Payloads

2v2HKKWsGxAnAAS.jpg

This is coming along nicely!

Pete

Pete,

I've seen this process with the tape, that you're using on this Shuttle. Are the results worth

the extra time spent, verses using decals to replicate the tape? Also, I have a question for

you. I just purchased a Tamiya 1/100 Shuttle kit, and was wondering should I get a set of

the Warbird Tile decals for the model, instead of the Black ones from LCSP? Your Shuttle

is coming along nicely. I have no doubt its going to be another fine example!

Space Shuttle Orbiter Advanced Flexible Thermal Protection System Replication Process

for 1/72, 1/100 and 1/144 scale models By Steven Jochums, Lake County Space Port

http://www.lakecountyspaceport.com/files/126177128.pdf

Here’s the material in question:

Johnson & Johnson’s Cloth Bandage Tape, 1 inch wide. One key to finding the “genuine”

article is to look for, “made in Brazil” on the center spool. Whatever magic cloth the stuff is

made from, that’s where it’s made.

Underdog ... have you seen my Tamiya Shuttle? I used Hotdog's belly decals and they look REAL! Hotdog posts on this forum too.

Now, my Tamiya Shuttle depicted Challenger ( Challenger deploys LDEF ) and it had white tiles ALL OVER it, so decals worked well as a solution. This one, however, is Atlantis, 1/72 scale, and the White tiles were replaced with the FRSI blankets, so to me, a tape solution works better. Not to the extent LCSP went to, though. That looks pretty anal in that he has researched the placement and shape of every ... single ... blanket ... YIKES!

I build these for me and I also enter them into contests. No judge, no Space aficionado, will notice the exact placement of those blankets, but, to each, his own.

I have time to build and really enjoy the time it takes to research and build from scratch. If you wanna build FAST, maybe a 30 year old model kit isn't for you. This is supposed to be a nice, relaxing hobby and that's how I approach it.

And in my opinion Warbird decals are ... awful. The belly decals, the tiles are placed randomly, are of differing shades and they are hugely out of scale. There is a distinct pattern on the belly tiles and Warbird missed the mark. I didn't see LCSP's black decals ... 

The tape I use is from the local drug store ... 2 types. A Paper First Aid tape and a Cloth First Aid tape. The Cloth tape has that texture on it, but at 1/100, it'll be way outta scale too. Again, just my opinion.  :whistle:

I attached the Payload Retention Mechanisms 

2v2HKsCt3xAnAAS.jpg

... and added blankets to the nose ... 

2v2HKsCfMxAnAAS.jpg

... then brushed on some paint. Accuracy doesn't matter at this stage ... 

2v2HKsCAzxAnAAS.jpg

2v2HKsCBoxAnAAS.jpg

There's a kit flaw in the elevons and I patched it with a short length of .020" rod. I'll sand it smooth later.

2v2HKsCw8xAnAAS.jpg

Also added the PB Door locks on the bulkheads ... and the camera mounts

2v2HKsCcjxAnAAS.jpg

And making the Laser imaging hardware on the end of the OBSS

2v2HKsC62xAnAAS.jpg

Now that the Payload Bay is just about done, it'll be time for some paint ... then the equipment in the PB needs to get blanketed and placed, still lotsa work to do!

Thanx for taking a peek!

Pete

3 hours ago, K2Pete said:

Underdog ... have you seen my Tamiya Shuttle? I used Hotdog's belly decals and they look REAL! Hotdog posts on this forum too.

Now, my Tamiya Shuttle depicted Challenger ( Challenger deploys LDEF ) and it had white tiles ALL OVER it, so decals worked well as a solution. This one, however, is Atlantis, 1/72 scale, and the White tiles were replaced with the FRSI blankets, so to me, a tape solution works better. Not to the extent LCSP went to, though. That looks pretty anal in that he has researched the placement and shape of every ... single ... blanket ... YIKES!

I build these for me and I also enter them into contests. No judge, no Space aficionado, will notice the exact placement of those blankets, but, to each, his own.

I have time to build and really enjoy the time it takes to research and build from scratch. If you wanna build FAST, maybe a 30 year old model kit isn't for you. This is supposed to be a nice, relaxing hobby and that's how I approach it.

And in my opinion Warbird decals are ... awful. The belly decals, the tiles are placed randomly, are of differing shades and they are hugely out of scale. There is a distinct pattern on the belly tiles and Warbird missed the mark. I didn't see LCSP's black decals ... 

The tape I use is from the local drug store ... 2 types. A Paper First Aid tape and a Cloth First Aid tape. The Cloth tape has that texture on it, but at 1/100, it'll be way outta scale too. Again, just my opinion.

Pete,

Thanks for the reply and advice. No, I haven't seen your Tamiya Shuttle - I don't think.

I completely agree with you that, the Hobby should be enjoyable and relaxing. In the

past when I work on models, I like taking my time and doing it right. The Underdog

tries to "Not making any junk" as models are concerned.

Thanks for the tip on the Warbird Shuttle decals. I did notice they were different than

the Black ones, sold by LCSP. I'll probably be purchasing a set of the Black ones from

them. Also, they sell a set of the updated White Shuttle decals - which include those

simulated Blankets as part of the decals. Therefore, it provides the modeler with two

options of doing the decals or the Tape. This is a couple of photos of what they look

like.

http://www.lakecountyspaceport.com/new-space-model-product-listings.html

I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking, LCSP went overboard with precisely placement

of the Blankets on their Shuttle.

49626785447_5ffbf9db23_o.jpg

49625990613_6a8b3438cc_o.jpg

The Laser ranging and camera equipment at the end of the OBSS ...

2v2H1UqJFxAnAAS.jpg

The belly got primed ...

2v2H1UqUGxAnAAS.jpg

I cut out the 3 shields on the SSMEs

2v2H1UqegxAnAAS.jpg

One of the handholds broke off of the Payload Bay door and I built a new one from .030" styrene rod ..

2v2H1Uq9nxAnAAS.jpg

After sanding the OMS pods, a few spots didn't adhere properly and these divots were puttied and will get sanded ...

2v2H1UqEdxAnAAS.jpg

The blankets on the side of the fuselage and the piece of tape is there to protect the styrene surface from paint so that the PB doors can be glued on later on ...

2v2H1UqaLxAnAAS.jpg

The deadline's getting tighter, but I hope this gets done ... if not, there's always the next show!

Pete

Starting to add paint ...

... Masking the elevons ...

2v2H1TceyxAnAAS.jpg

... and the nose ...

2v2H1TcUNxAnAAS.jpg

Let me show how I mask on a curve ... the RCC nose cap always seems to be a problem.

Firstly, I paint on the RCC colour and over paint the area I wanna cover ...

2v2H1Tc9rxAnAAS.jpg

Using a strip of Electrical Tape, because it stretches, I mask off the nose cap limit ... note the over painted Grey colour ...

2v2H1TcuGxAnAAS.jpg

A little more Tamiya masking tape to ensure I don't overspray onto the RCC nose cap ..

2v2H1TcEqxAnAAS.jpg

And spray on some Gunmetal ... instead of Black 

2v2H1TcadxAnAAS.jpg

Peel off the masking tape and ... a nice clean result ... it works for me!

2v2H1TcbrxAnAAS.jpg

I've spent the last many hours painting the blanket tapes and touching up the black tiles. The Hatch is First Aid tape cut out to shape

2v2H1TcZ5xAnAAS.jpg

2v2H1TcQNxAnAAS.jpg

The tail and aft end ...

2v2H1TcpqxAnAAS.jpg

Adding some paint to the SSMEs ...

2v2H1TcKjxAnAAS.jpg

I've used Ricardo's photos of Atlantis that he took in KSC ... and they're terrific!

Thanx Ricardo!  :thumbsup:   :worship:

I'll coat the shuttle with Future in preparation for decals ... then Mylar blankets for the Payload Bay cargo and I'll probably need to fix up the 12 year old Hubble Telescope model ... still lots to do-o-o ...

i'm still hoping to get this completed for a contest in 2 weeks, but due to this, IMHO overhyped virus, it will probably NOT take place ... but there's still a helluva lotta details to complete on this model, so it may well not be ready for the show!

Pete

Pete,

So far, your efforts are looking fabulous. I'm enjoying the way you're painting the nose of

the Shuttle and masking it for paint, thanks for the tutorial and tips. One question, did you

just place the tape Blankets on the model or did you use some type of adhesive? This one

is gonna be spectacular in 1/72 scale.

I just received my Tamiya Shuttle kit in the mail this past week, and its pretty big. Can only

imagine how much bigger your model is in comparison!

Thanx Underdog ... it is coming along nicely! With just the normal amount of frustrations !   :whistle:

The First Aid tape has an adhesive backing ... and it's easily re-positionable.

And here's an image I took a couple months ago ... the 1/100 and 1/72 Shuttles ... to see the size difference ...

2 Shuttles.JPG

6 hours ago, K2Pete said:

Thanx Underdog ... it is coming along nicely! With just the normal amount of frustrations !   :whistle:

The First Aid tape has an adhesive backing ... and it's easily re-positionable.

And here's an image I took a couple months ago ... the 1/100 and 1/72 Shuttles ... to see the size difference ...

2 Shuttles.JPG

Pete - thanks for the reply.

Mercy, I thought the Tamiya 1/100 was big... that 1/72 Shuttle is huge! Thanks for sharing

that comparison photo. I guess the main reason I was asking about the Tape was, do you

have any concerns about it lifting-off the surface after you've completed the model?

Edited by The Underdog

No concerns whatsoever-r-r!

Here's an image of my 9 year old Shuttle Cutaway and the tape looks ... as ... good ... as ... the day I stuck 'em on ...

Now, in the prep, I paint the tape, then brush on Future, so they're pretty well sealed ...

SHUT CUT tiles.JPG

.. And thanx Bill!

Edited by K2Pete
1 hour ago, K2Pete said:

No concerns whatsoever-r-r!

Here's an image of my 9 year old Shuttle Cutaway and the tape looks ... as ... good ... as ... the day I stuck 'em on ...

Now, in the prep, I paint the tape, then brush on Future, so they're pretty well sealed ...

Pete,

Thanks, you read my mind by telling me how you finished with the Tape applied... by

painting it and sealing it with the Future.

I wanted to create my own Wing decals and use up this awful decal film / paper ... 

2v2HpYZpVxAnAAS.jpg

After  a few printouts, adjusting the colours each time, this one was looking okay. Now, only a bit of the decal will be seen as the open Payload Bay Doors will be covering it.

2v2HpYZAgxAnAAS.jpg

Masking the RCC panels on the wings ...

2v2HpYZchxAnAAS.jpg

... and afterwards ... the painted tiles on the wing is unfinished because the PB door will cover it up and it won't be seen.

On the aft fuselage, you can also see where I've covered the fuselage with First-Aid tape and painted it White ... I'll go back and discolour it a bit with paint. The Umbilical panel is from Real Space Models and is part of Glenn's Photoetch items ...

2v2HpYZfLxAnAAS.jpg

The PB interior is almost done ... Handholds have been painted, Cameras have been installed, PB Door locks have been painted., PB wiring has been painted too ... lots and lots of small things to take care of ... and still more to do ...

2v2HpYZbjxAnAAS.jpg

... but this is all good, clean FUNN!  :yahoo:

Thanx for taking a peek gents ... 

Pete

Hi Pete,

your meticulous work - what do I say - Handicrafts -  fascinates me again and again, for me you are and remain one of the most creative orbiter modelers here in this forum.

00003423.gif

Keep it up, my friend, and let's have fun, every post is a welcome new pleasure. up040577.gif

Pete,

Beautiful work as always!  Whenever I get around to doing my 1/72 Shuttle Stack I'll have to try the fabric tape approach.  It really looks good in that scale.

I love all the scratch built details you are adding.  I'm really looking forward to seeing the final product.

Randy

12 hours ago, K2Pete said:

I wanted to create my own Wing decals and use up this awful decal film / paper ... 

2v2HpYZpVxAnAAS.jpg

After  a few printouts, adjusting the colours each time, this one was looking okay.

2v2HpYZAgxAnAAS.jpg

Thanx for taking a peek gents ... 

Pete

Pete,

The updates and the results are spectacular. It's amazing how this project and model is

progressing. I've been motivated in acquiring a 1/72 scale Monogram kit on eBay, of the

same Shuttle as this one. But, mine won't look as good as yours. I have some practicing

to do, and a lot of catching-up in order to sharpen my skills.

Do me a favor and shoot me a PM, I have something to ask!

Thanx very much Randy ... I don't know what this is gonna look like when it's done, so I'm looking forward to it too!

Manfred, if this wasn't a fun and enjoyable pastime, I wouldn't be doing this.

Plus, I get the same enjoyment from viewing YOUR progress!  :cheers:

Thanx Underdog ... and just ask it right here ... unless it's personal. In that case ... no, I won't give you any of my canned food!  :crying2:

The Orbiter is getting closer ...

The Aft bulkhead ...

2v2HpnpeMxAnAAS.jpg

... masking the black tile pattern on the lower OMS pods ...

2v2Hpnp6yxAnAAS.jpg

... applied more tape and Real Space Models' umbilical connection PE to the Aft fuselage. In front of the Umbilical are 2 squares of styrene to represent access panels.

2v2HpnpZFxAnAAS.jpg

... I wrapped the OBSS boom with grocery bag plastic ... the Grapple fixture is on the lower left on the boom.

2v2Hpnp7rxAnAAS.jpg

These decals are from Real Space Models and are at least 20 years old, maybe more ... and they broke apart. But I had more which didn't ...  :yahoo:

2v2Hpnpw8xAnAAS.jpg

2v2HpnpAzxAnAAS.jpg

This is Real Space Models hatch decal. I don't know why there is a Grey border around it, but I used it anyway.

The decal to the right is cock-eyed and I repositioned it later. It'll be mostly covered by the open PB Doors in any event ...

2v2HpnpBdxAnAAS.jpg

Now, for the Belly decals. I've been putting this off for awhile but dove right in this morning ... I'm just cutting around the nose decal and had to cut around them all.

These decals are from our own Hotdog and I've had them for 3 or 4 years ... 

2v2HpnpQdxAnAAS.jpg

The sheer size of them worried me ... but they went down with no-o-o trouble ... at ... all! And they're BIG!

2v2HpnpbyxAnAAS.jpg

Lovely ... just LOVELY! The full size bottle of Future is beside it, just for scale.

And I made a mistake.

The Body Flap's decal should have been placed on the bottom of the belly, but as you can see, I put it NOT on the bottom of the Flap ... my mistake. But I'll figure out a fix!

2v2Hpnp1NxAnAAS.jpg

Due to the compound curves at the Nose, the decal didn't conform, so ... with a sharp blade, I cut the little blisters down the middle, added some Setting Solution and ...

2v2HpnpprxAnAAS.jpg

... turned out perfectly!

This decal paper / film is fantastic to work with. I worked the surface pretty well, but gently, and there was no damage done to the decal at all!

2v2HpnpcjxAnAAS.jpg

This is Dutycat's cockpit resin and under it, is his instructions. The image of the window decal is ... whose? Hotdog, did you make it? I would prefer using a Decal for the window rather than paint it and wonder where I can get it ...

2v2HpnpYNxAnAAS.jpg

The Orbiter is just about done. Now I need to work on the Payload equipment and tidy up / repair, my old Hubble Space Telescope.

Phee-e-e-e-w-w-w-w ... this was a task and a half! But in a FUNN sort of way!  :tease:

Thanx for stopping by !

Pete

Edited by K2Pete

Thank Ret ... but as that old saying goes ... "Good looking from far, but far from good looking"!

It shan't win any awards, but it sure is fun to build!  :woot.gif:

The Body Flap decal was replaced with the old Cutting Edge decal. These were really cutting edge when they came out, 10 or so years ago, as no-one had done the Shuttle's belly decals to this high degree ... 

2v2Hc38ULxAnAAS.jpg

I placed it, let it dry, then sealed it with Future then ...

2v2Hc382FxAnAAS.jpg

... ran an enamel wash over it to knock down the lightness. Maybe I'll do another wash, but I'll see ... it'll be on the bottom of the model and shan't be seen ...

2v2Hc38vCxAnAAS.jpg

The Hubble Space Telescope was in pretty good condition for having been built over 10 years ago ... but a couple of handrails had broken and needed repairs and while handling this fragile model, I broke off a few other things. There's hardly a square centimetre that doesn't have a handhold or other delicate item on it ...

2v2Hc38EnxAnAAS.jpg

2v2Hc38HqxAnAAS.jpg

At the lower left is the cradle the HST will sit in and the brass rod will support the HST.

2v2Hc38uWxAnAAS.jpg

The only major thing left is wrapping the Payload cargo in "Mylar" and then a myriad of little details ... oh, and affixing the PB Doors to the Shuttle.

Thanx for tuning in!

Pete

What happened to my body flap decal, did you put it on the opposite side? I could send you a replacement that would look better than the cartoonish Cutting Edge decal.

Your build looks marvelous by the way. And no, that's not my window decal that Dutycat used as his template. His windows are a bit smaller I believe.

This is going to be one outstanding shuttle!

The body flap decal was just my mistake ... I made a quick look at the sheet, it looked like it would fit there and I trimmed it and applied it to the TOP of the flap. Thinking back, it may have confused this old fart, as the wing section of the decal may have looked like the flap was included ... either way, no need to replace it Hotdog, it looks just fine the way it is and no-one, not even a judge will see it.

And re the Windows on Dutycat's resin piece, my initial thought was that they were small, but I just figured he did it perfectly.

About 10 years ago, I made my own window decals and thought I had done an accurate bit of research on the size and placement, but heck, I could be wrong too. But mine are way bigger ... Geez, I still don't know what to do with these ... but I'll figure something out ...

2v2HcnddNxAnAAS.jpg

The engine bells got added ...

2v2HcndN8xAnAAS.jpg

... some weathering is getting done ...

2v2HcndrMxAnAAS.jpg

... some delicate dry brushing on the nose ...

2v2Hcnd5jxAnAAS.jpg

2v2HcndyrxAnAAS.jpg

... and that'll do for now. I really want to glue on the Payload Bay doors but I still need to drill a mounting hole in the belly and will be handling the Shuttle a LOT and the doors will just get in the way. This 20" long model bangs into lamps ( notice the tail isn't installed? ) and edges of tables and knocks over glue bottles and the PB doors will be installed much later. And then all those little hinges and other details will need to be installed then too ... still a lotta stuff to do on this ...

But, seeing as we're all gonna be locked down and model contests are indefinitely postponed, I have a little more time!

Pete

Scott Smith, can I see how you did Dutycat's windows? I briefly tried using his glass and my 'scriber' didn't scribe into the slides. I do wonder how it woulda turned out though.

I decided to not use a decal for the tile pattern and to try something else.

I had a CD case and used the Dutycat supplied window guide to scribe and cut out the window glass from the CD case.

2v2Hw9mMMxAnAAS.jpg

2v2Hw9mzzxAnAAS.jpg

... filing them to shape. Needless to say, there was a lotta test fitting.

2v2Hw9TooxAnAAS.jpg

Initial test fit of all the windows ...

2v2Hw9TUUxAnAAS.jpg

2v2Hw9T99xAnAAS.jpg

Rather than use decals for the tile pattern, I decided to paint it on ... Tamiya Tape mask ...

2v2Hw9mrUxAnAAS.jpg

2v2Hw9m88xAnAAS.jpg

... and painted ... I was thrilled with the result!

2v2Hw9TZvxAnAAS.jpg

And with the Glass installed. I just used Future to 'glue' them in.

2v2Hw9Ta2xAnAAS.jpg

My mind has been on these windows for awhile and now that they're done, I can work on the Payload ...

I still have to figure how I'm gonna mount this behemoth model ... dang it's BIG!  :doh:

Later

Pete