1/72 Shuttle and Hubble Space Telescope

This is a thread that was started in January 2017 as part of a Group Build. So some posts from guests will not be there.

Today is January 11, 2018

I started this before I got back into this hobby ... before I had any idea how to build up a kit. It's been sitting in a box for at least 15 years, maybe 20  :rolleyes:

It's a Monogram. 1/72 and I'll be accurizing it and adding a bunch of Resin and some PE to depict the Hubble Space Telescope Repair mission.

This kit was manufactured in 1979

2v2JUpbqqxAnAAS.jpg

I've got a couple other models on the go which I'd like to complete in the next week or two, then I'll come back to this GB.

This one may just take the rest of the time of the GB ... this was started at least 15 years ago and has been collecting dust. I've been on ARC for 10 years and this was started before I had any clue about how to build a kit.

This will depict a Hubble Repair Mission, STS-125. The Payload Bay will be detailed using Real Space Models Resin and PE as well as Dutycat's Resin cockpit windows.

The Real Space Models Payload Bay, is unfortunately, incorrect, but it'll do. There is some very nice detailing of it. I added some styrene bits and Copper wire, years ago, to depict Junction Boxes and wiring.

2v2JUpKpFxAnAAS.jpg

The Forward Bulkhead will get removed and detailed later on. The lip at the bottom of it needs to be cut off so the PB can fit

2v2JUpbgNxAnAAS.jpg

The Hubble Space Telescope, HST, was scratch built as one of my first 5 models about 10 years ago now ... this'll be in the Payload Bay mounted vertically in its supporting hardware.

Before final details ...

2v2JUKaskxAnAAS.jpg

... and done ...

2v2JUKaDmxAnAAS.jpg

Dutycat's nicely detailed Resin Cockpit

2v2JUpbVFxAnAAS.jpg

The PB dry fit. There's gonna be a lotta patching in here.

2v2JUpbnnxAnAAS.jpg

The first cut ...

2v2JUpbhdxAnAAS.jpg

Using Dymo Tape as a guide. I doubled up the thickness of the tape.

2v2JUpbyyxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JUpbCyxAnAAS.jpg

I had forgotten that I had sprayed Foam Insulation in there ... I guess to add support? But the cut off bit didn't wanna come off and I couldn't figure out why ... 

2v2JUpbFFxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JUpbSqxAnAAS.jpg

This is off to a good start! This is gonna get a lot of modifications ... but it's a model I've wanted to build for a few years!

Till next posting!

Edited by K2Pete

Thanx Phantom!

Uh ... yeah Mike ... that's a good one!   :rolleyes:

Honestly, I do not recall why I sprayed that in there. But I do recall that it was suggested on a Forum or FSM magazine ... so, as with all my models, I tried it to learn a new technique. I must admit, it has really adhered the styrene tubes ... and with no shrinkage over these 15 or so years.

This was all done all those years ago and will need just a little more sanding. Plus the Fuel Line connections will need to be filled in.

2v2JUpb55xAnAAS.jpg

All these little nubs need to be clipped off and sanded down. They are the hinges for the model, if the Payload Bay doors were to be demonstrated to open and close.

2v2JUpK9jxAnAAS.jpg

These styrene tubes, for the Reaction Control System thrusters, the walls need to be thinned. 

2v2JUpK35xAnAAS.jpg

Drilling out the windows on Dutycat's resin piece

2v2JUpbjGxAnAAS.jpg

I was a little too aggressive with my sanding ... I'll just fill it with styrene.

2v2JUpKunxAnAAS.jpg

Cutting a sliver off the kit's cockpit which I removed earlier ...

2v2JUpbNNxAnAAS.jpg

... and added it to the aft end of the resin piece. With just a little sanding, carefully this time, it'll fit nicely

2v2JUpbrrxAnAAS.jpg

Removed the Elevons for repositioning because they float freely on orbit.

2v2JUpKUrxAnAAS.jpg

Thanx for looking in!

Edited by K2Pete

Mike, I'll be using Hotdog's belly decals and First Aid Tape for the Thermal Blankets. And thanx for the heads-up on Gil's glass Windows ... I was gonna try Future on both the Glass and some clear plastic. White Glue works, but the adhesion is really tentative, any little movement and the bond breaks. Future is a more grippy, but not permanent. But I won't know for sure till I try it out on some scraps.

Hotdog, I'll send you a PM ... yessirree, I'll certainly use whatever you've got!

Kurt H ... thanx a lot for taking a peek at this! The kit part isn't bad at all. I've used it, on another Shuttle model, and simply masked the kit's windows to get an accurate representation. And this Resin piece is nice. Dutycat has done a nice job on it.

The Hubble Telescope is already built and will, maybe, need a little refurbishing. I haven't even looked at it in a few years.

Edited by K2Pete

After some trial and error with clear styrene adhering to resin, I decided, that because there's no cockpit details and if the windows were clear, all the viewer would see if they looked inside, was Spray Foam Insulation, I would use White Styrene sheet. Plus I had to get this Cockpit Resin attached because it was holding my progress back.

Thanx for your help anyway Mike!   :thumbsup:

My poor sanding resulted in some ... um ... fit issues. It took a week to get it right.   :bandhead2:

2v2JUpKJqxAnAAS.jpg

To attach the Elevons, I use 1/2 Round styrene

2v2JUpKZNxAnAAS.jpg

A BIG patch on the Aft portion of the Resin Payload Bay from Real Space Models. Again, due to my aggressive sanding ... but this was easy.

2v2JUpPmVxAnAAS.jpg

The Drogue Chute compartment needed to be trimmed

2v2JUpKe5xAnAAS.jpg

... plus I filed down the top tip of the Tail

2v2JUpPVLxAnAAS.jpg

Starting to identify and fill those gaps.

2v2JUpKQrxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JUpKK8xAnAAS.jpg

2v2JUpK1qxAnAAS.jpg

Some of the Resin PB is so-o-o thin I had to reinforce it with styrene

2v2JUpPhgxAnAAS.jpg

... and a nice big air hole ... this'll be the seam between the fwd and aft PB

2v2JUpKEFxAnAAS.jpg

The new "Windows". I'll just paint 'em a dark colour and put on a coat of Future 

2v2JUpPCWxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JUpPSCxAnAAS.jpg

After I installed these, I realized I didn't need to remove the original cast resin windows ...  :doh:

This is how I fill those major and minor gaps. Lots of bits of styrene. I also clamped solid metal rods to the PB because the walls bow in and I wanted them as straight as possible to prevent cracking of the Cockpit area when I install the PB resin parts.

2v2JUpP4SxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JUpPgnxAnAAS.jpg

Some minor gap filling using .005" styrene

2v2JUpPWSxAnAAS.jpg

... then Tamiya putty for the minor surface indentations.

And we're up to date.

Till next posting!

The Payload Bay doors have had some structural elements added. They will, however, be hidden by the Radiator panels

2v2JUpPdgxAnAAS.jpg

The Rad panels are from Real Space Models as well.

2v2JUpPqCxAnAAS.jpg

And just a couple weeks ago, I bought off of Shapeways an Airlock from ni-parts ... designed by our own niart7.

2v2JUpPnhxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JUpPGVxAnAAS.jpg

And we are NOW up to date ... Jan 2018 ... I hope the next update isn't January 2019 ...!

Thanx for looking

Pete

• 4 months later...

I was stalled on this due mainly to not having good references for the equipment in the Payload Bay. I then remembered the AXM Paper Model website and ... my goodness, he has done a lot of research himself and I printed out his 1/144 patterns, enlarged them to 1/72 and started building. 

I glued 'em down to a sheet of .020" and .010" styrene and started cutting ...

2v2JT2GvdxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JT2GUyxAnAAS.jpg

... and folding and assembling ...

2v2JT2GEGxAnAAS.jpg

... assembling the lattice on the 'Mule' ...

2v2JT2GeFxAnAAS.jpg

... peeled off the patterns ... 

2v2JT2GuNxAnAAS.jpg

... these are all just the major subassemblies ... there are so many details yet to go! Niart17's 3D part is at the top Right.

2v2JT2GJrxAnAAS.jpg

... and just to see if they fit in to the Payload Bay.

2v2JT2GaqxAnAAS.jpg

... so far ... so good!

2v2JT2GHnxAnAAS.jpg

The Hubble Space Telescope is completed and will be installed onto its support fixture much later on in the build.

Pete

Aussie-Pete ... the Beanie Cap fit issues were all my fault. I just hacked at it and didn't plan the cuts well at all. But with some patching up, it'll all work out!

Thanx Bill!

Here's a couple pix of the actual loaded Payload Bay to give you a better idea as to what I'm trying to do.

2v2JT4JujxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JT4JHzxAnAAS.jpg

And these subassemblies are coming along ... just ... fine. There's still the myriad of details to do but the big chunks are getting done

2v2JTV3HjxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JTV3JvxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JTV3vzxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JTV392xAnAAS.jpg

2v2JTV33MxAnAAS.jpg

This one's gonna be a little tricky as it will be supporting the HST model ... or at least it'll have to LOOK like it's supporting the HST.

2v2JTV3u3xAnAAS.jpg

Now to find some Gold / Copper coloured foil ... 

Thanx for taking a peek gents!

Pete

I found another source for gold foil if you need stuff that's a little thicker than some other candy wrappers, and it comes in gold gold and an orange-ish gold (mostly around Halloween) 

https://www.amazon.com/Solid-Chocolate-Large-Kennedy-Coins/dp/B016OX75EU

I like it because it holds it shape and glues really well. You do have to burnish off the pattern and the area you can get a square cut from is relatively small, but it's an alternative.

Bill

Thanx Ricardo!

Bill, I've got an email into a New York company who seem to have a nice shade of Copper / Orange available. But they seem to have 1,000 sheet, 3" x 3" as a minimum order ... !

Still assembling these various fixtures. 

I wanted to drill a hole thru the FSS ( Flight Support System ) to hinge the cradle. I really I would like this not to be in a fixed position.

2v2JSHaddxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JSHajGxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JSHa55xAnAAS.jpg

2v2JSHaNNxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JSHaqqxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JSHaFFxAnAAS.jpg

I'm still trying to figure out a way to attach the HST to this FSS and ran across an image of the bottom of the HST which shows an attachment fixture. This may have solved my problem!

The ORUC ( Orbital Replacement Unit Carrier ) is almost done, the BIG pieces anyways. The many Handholds still need to be done.

2v2JSHazFxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JSHa8nxAnAAS.jpg

And I just wanted to see how the HST might look in the Payload Bay

2v2JSHe35xAnAAS.jpg

Now I need to detail the Orbiter and the Payload Bay

Pete

Edited by K2Pete
images weren't displaying
5 hours ago, K2Pete said:

Thanx Ricardo!

Bill, I've got an email into a New York company who seem to have a nice shade of Copper / Orange available. But they seem to have 1,000 sheet, 3" x 3" as a minimum order ... !

Still assembling these various fixtures. 

I wanted to drill a hole thru the FSS ( Flight Support System ) to hinge the cradle. I really I would like this not to be in a fixed position.

2v2JSHaddxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JSHajGxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JSHa55xAnAAS.jpg

2v2JSHaNNxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JSHaqqxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JSHaFFxAnAAS.jpg

I'm still trying to figure out a way to attach the HST to this FSS and ran across an image of the bottom of the HST which shows an attachment fixture. This may have solved my problem!

The ORUC ( Orbital Replacement Unit Carrier ) is almost done, the BIG pieces anyways. The many Handholds still need to be done.

2v2JSHazFxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JSHa8nxAnAAS.jpg

And I just wanted to see how the HST might look in the Payload Bay

2v2JSHe35xAnAAS.jpg

Now I need to detail the Orbiter and the Payload Bay

Pete

Fantastic its looking really good

Really looking good Pete!  I love to see how you problem solve these things - really helpful.  For the gold foil - you might try Godiva chocolates - I've gotten mine at my local supermarket - nice goldy-orange - used it for the back of my Gemini.

-ret

Thanx very much gents!

I'm just getting some smaller items started in the Payload Bay ...
The Ku Band antenna ... using AXM's paper pattern, I carved the main body out of .060" styrene, used styrene tubing and for the dish I used a fuel tank half from a 1/24 Gemini kit and just sanded it down.

2v2JSqyoLxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JSqy3WxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JSqy9qxAnAAS.jpg

... but while I was looking through some old aftermarket boxes from Real Space Models, I found some resin I hadn't used. There was the Remote Manipulator System and the Ku Band antenna ... here's my scratch built version and the RSM parts.

2v2JSqyuFxAnAAS.jpg

... and both assembled.

2v2JSqy2gxAnAAS.jpg

The Payload Bay Doors need some attention too. There was a notch in the corners that I enlarged and patched with styrene scraps, filed and sanded and good as new.

2v2JSqyJdxAnAAS.jpg

To attach Real Space Models Radiator panels was next ... they are quite thick and need a lotta clamps to form to the doors. CA glue works just fine!

2v2JSqyeWxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JSqyECxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JSqyagxAnAAS.jpg

... and all glued down.

2v2JSqyHLxAnAAS.jpg

The stanchions that the OBSS rests on, were next. I used the Real Space Models resin bit as a template and will carve 3 new ones from styrene scraps.

2v2JSqyZGxAnAAS.jpg

Thanx for taking a peek guys!
Pete

Nice job. From what I can tell yours is better than the resin one, the fidelity is a little crisper. The only thing that MIGHT be better on the resin is the dish itself. I only say that because of the thinness of the lip. But I can't recall if the actual one is thicker or thinner so your may be more accurate. Keep it up!

Bill

Hello these are my two cents for the KU antenna or for any dish. Because of the scale, the thickness is difficult to replicate. Some time I use a ping pong ball, because of the curvature is already there or a take a marvel and do a vacuum form of it. It gives a realistic tickles thickness. In the case of the KU antenna of the shuttle it had like an thin inner edge that I think is more for structure integrity and light weight.

https://www.universetoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/07pd2378-m.jpg

https://www.universetoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/08pd0878-m.jpg

https://spaceflightnow.com/shuttle/sts134/120808gallery/20full.jpg

https://www.psu.edu/nasa/images/kuband.gif

http://www.collectspace.com/ubb/Forum30/HTML/001035.html

Pete what are you using for the radiator panels? They look fantastic.

Thanks for sharing the images of your build.

Ricardo

Edited by Ricardo Salamé