Spray Booth and types of paint

I have seen many discussions hear about spray booths and certain paints that can be used. 

I just purchased the Paasche HSSB 30-16 and I had known it was for acrylics only. I still need to duct outside.

To get into their explosion proof booth it would have been over a $1,000.00 plus needed hardwired.

So how is everybody spraying alclad's, enamels and such?  Everybody can't afford an explosion proof spray booth.

Just curious.  I just bought some Mission Models paints and like them so I will use for the most part. 

I will still use testor's enamels, alclad and AK Xtreme metals when I have too.

Thanks,

Mark

Mark,  that "explosion proof thing" is always blown way out of proportion for our hobby. With the small amounts we use and spray, the booth is never gonna blow up. I've sprayed many times in my home made booth using lacquer paints, thinners and, gun cleaner (which is way "hotter" than any of the thinners I use for paints) without an issue.

Steve

According to an MSDS for the lacquer thinner found at the blue big box store, the Lower Explosive Limit is 1%.  I find it hard to believe that even spraying straight lacquer thinner through an airbrush in a spray booth that even has a low cfm rating would come anywhere close to 1%.  I am sure there is always a risk, but it is so minuscule that I do not believe paying for an explosion proof motor would be cost effective.  I know, I know.  If it prevents just one injury, it's worth it.  To me, the rewards outweigh the risks.  You will never be wrong to choose safety over any risks.  You just have to decide what you are willing to pay for that safety.