Hello fellow modellers,

I'd like to build a Vietnam aera HH-53C (Italeri 1/72) and two questiuons came up.

1. Were they ever folded? I've searched the net for pictures but I wasn't able to find a folded HH-53C in SEA-colours anywhere. What I found were pictures of a folded HH-53C built from LEGO bricks.:whistle:

2. What's the best choice for the SEA-colours? I prefer Tamiya or Mr.Hobby but every good hint is welcome.

6 hours ago, ice225 said:

Hello fellow modellers,

I'd like to build a Vietnam aera HH-53C (Italeri 1/72) and two questiuons came up.

1. Were they ever folded? I've searched the net for pictures but I wasn't able to find a folded HH-53C in SEA-colours anywhere. What I found were pictures of a folded HH-53C built from LEGO bricks.:whistle:

2. What's the best choice for the SEA-colours? I prefer Tamiya or Mr.Hobby but every good hint is welcome.

I've never seen any pics of one of these with folded rotors.   That being said, I'm guessing that at some point it was done, so if you like the look or just need the rotors folded to save shelf space, go for it.

Regarding question 2, I'm a Model Master guy.  Never had any problems with that paint.

Really about time for a new tool Jolly Green, in 48th or ideally, larger scale.   Love Vietnam SAR helos, those crewmembers had some serious 'nads.  

Edited by 11bee

Lad, the USAF HH-53C helicopters had a different rotor head than the Navy/Marine version.  The Air Force heads did not fold.  

As far as the SEA camo is concerned, they were painted in the standard colors.   If you are building the Italeri kit, make sure you look at the way the tail rotor rotates.   If I remember correctly, they have the tail rotor rotating in the wrong direction.  The bottom blade should move forward toward the ramp.   Just for your information, I was an Air Force Helicopter pilot and flew the H-53 in most of the versions the Air Force had.  I retired prior to the MH-53M being employed.  

5 hours ago, hawg53 said:

Lad, the USAF HH-53C helicopters had a different rotor head than the Navy/Marine version.  The Air Force heads did not fold.  

As far as the SEA camo is concerned, they were painted in the standard colors.   If you are building the Italeri kit, make sure you look at the way the tail rotor rotates.   If I remember correctly, they have the tail rotor rotating in the wrong direction.  The bottom blade should move forward toward the ramp.   Just for your information, I was an Air Force Helicopter pilot and flew the H-53 in most of the versions the Air Force had.  I retired prior to the MH-53M being employed.  

You're absolutely right - the tail rotor has to be corrected. Great hint! And of course thank you for your other very useful informations.

The Italeri Kit also seems to include the wrong external fuel tanks for that period of time

3 hours ago, Hajo L. said:

Stefan, you can store even big helos by simply putting the main rotor off when placing them in a cabinet... ;)

HAJO

Storage space is not the problem - I just like helos folded. I found a picture of one of those birds rolling off a C-5 and they simply folded the tail, dismounted one of the tail rotor blades, dismounted the pylons for the external fuel tanks and dismounted the whole main rotor system including the transmission.